Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_919020977

Is this kitchen layout right??

C S
last month

Hello everyone

First time poster here… we’re doing a complete house renovation and designing the kitchen from scratch. I’ve got a layout which I’m reasonably happy with but I have some niggly doubts - and then I came across this brilliant forum! We did have a lovely designer look at the layout of the ground floor for us, she was great, the detail of the kitchen wasn’t in her remit but she gave some advice. I thought I could finalise the design myself….

So I am posting the floor plan of the ground floor, this just shows the general layout of the kitchen but then there are some block diagrams with more detail of the kitchen layout as well.

We’re a family of 4 with quite young children. We really like the idea of an island where we can look into the room whilst prepping / cooking. The seating at the island will be for a breakfast bar / somewhere to sit with a laptop / chat / entertain and wouldn’t be a dining space.

The thing I’m most uncertain about, is the fridge and freezer. They’re in a gap created by the structure of the house, which is only 1350mm wide but it is 740mm deep, giving plenty of space at the back for ventilation. Planning on getting 2x larder fridge / freezer. But it’s not a lot of space for doors to open so we're proposing to install with the fridge on the LHS and freezer on the right.

I’ve considered switching the fridge /freezer and oven locations round but that would impact on the amount of space at the southern end of the island and also not be as convenient for cooking.

The other thing is the dishwasher is right in the northernmost corner, should it be away from the wall? It’s the least likely place for us to trip over (since we have a habit of leaving the door open), but the disadvantage of course is that you will see the draining board on full display as soon as you walk into the room. Our house is usually slightly chaotic!

One final niggle that’s occupying me, should we make the island shorter so that it lines up with the wall of the original house? That would give more space round the bottom of the island (and for the lighting over) but I’m not sure if visually it’s important or not. I’ve always wanted a really long island like this so it’s a hard decision!

Thank you to anyone who thinks about this and responds. Opinions gratefully received.

Comments (7)

• Yvonne Martin
    last month

I think that the sink (and dishwasher) is too far from the refrigerator and stove. Is there any reason that it can't be moved down even a little bit?

• C S
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Mainly that the location currently means that the open dishwasher doesn't get in the way in the aisle between the run of countertops and island. Also I think the run of wall cabinets looks nice that way. In our current kitchen the sink is back to back with the hob which works great for us but we've got an aisle of 1400mm - I've been advised not to put the hob and sink back to back in this layout to avoid a pinch point.

• C S
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Could centre the sink / dishwasher like this:

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

You will get FASTER help with feet and inches to your plan, as we are lazy and backward Americans. Yes all of it : )

That said? The so called walk in pantry is killing your placement, costing you more than you're getting in looks or function. Even with induction, I'd rather a cooker NOT be on the island.

Venting is easier to an outside wall and allows you a hood. A range would even give you an oven, but you DO get nice drawers beneath a cook top.

Again.......look ( online) at what a reach in pantry can hold, and add that little bit of leftover pantry space to the util and storage within it.

Learn to close the dw door and clean up as you cook and prep.

Better looking below : )

You can also add the query to the UK SITE: ) more familiar with your appliances, I am certain

• Boxerpal
    29 days ago

I agree with everything Jan Moyer just said (least it go to her head lol )

No cooktop on the island. If you have a young family, it can be a danger to little fingers.

One final niggle that’s occupying me, should we make the island shorter so that it lines up with the wall of the original house?

Make sure you can walk all around the island so that it is easy to clean. I have seen massive island that are difficult to clean for arm reach. With a busy family you want easy cleaning.

Looking forward to seeing this all come together.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

The island is only four feet wide, 48 X 96 inches You can clean it , easily.

You aren't fully informed dimensions on either plan........come back with feet and inches ALL

• C S
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Thank you! It’s really kind of you to put this together for me. I am going to post this to the uk site as you suggest.