Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

Need recs for orangey-red lipstick

bbstx
last month

I do not live near any department stores with cosmetics counters (actually, I do not live near any department stores period). I need a lipstick to wear with this dress. On my screen the color is rendering fairly accurately - red with an orange undertone.

A friend who is a red lipstick aficionado recommended Chanel’s Coco Rouge. From the pictures it appears to have a blue undertone. At nearly $50 per tube, I don’t want to risk it being the wrong color.

Someone else recommended L’Oreal Red Passion. I bought it (I’ll risk $10 tube). It too had a blue undertone. I love CoverGirl Outlast. I have a red called Ever Red-y (#507). Blue undertone.

I know blue undertones are supposed to make your teeth look whiter, but it clashes horribly with this dress. In the last week, I’ve bought 3 lipsticks and 2 pencils…all the wrong color. Fortunately, they were all drugstore brands so no great loss of money. But I’m getting terrible ”poor purchase fatigue.”

I don’t necessarily want something as bright as the dress. I’ve never been a red lipstick wearer, although I flirt with it from time to time.

Do you have a favorite red lipstick with an orange undertone?

Comments (23)

• Oakley
    last month

The model is wearing pink lipstick and it's gorgeous with the dress. If you have the dress and several shades of pink lipstick, try those first before you buy something with an orange undertone.

How do you see an undertone in lipstick? Have I been looking like a clown all my life? lol I only wear shades of medium pinks.

bbstx thanked Oakley
  • Kswl
    last month

I dont have a red orange lipstick myself, but these look promising. Maybe the reviews would help?

LANCOME , looks like the dress color

Bo bi Brown Sunset Orange looks darker

MAC Morange looks really orange

This one is my fave, darker than the ithers and the least expensive

bbstx thanked Kswl
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last month

I had not noticed that the model is wearing pink! I have a lot of more subdued colors, including pinks and ”nudes.” Maybe I ought to start testing some of those with the dress.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    last month

@Kswl, what color is the Milani? I can buy it here in town. The others I would have to go an hour+ away to get them.

I bought Milani Secrets because all of the beauty influencers rave about it being a dupe for Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk. I’m glad it was so inexpensive. It doesn’t do anything for me. It is a ”nude” lipstick. What’s the point?

I forgot to add that I also bought 2 colored glosses - a red orange and a bright pink. They need a color under them.

• Funkyart
    last month

I am not a red lipstick wearer -- ever. But chanel is known for their reds and I find a lot of their colors do lean orange ... maybe try another? (last I knew, all the dept stores will let you return what doesnt work-- I've never done it but in theory, I would). The Bobby Brown above looks like a possibilty?

I thought I was the only one who didnt love CT pillow talk. It is fine-- it just doesnt do anything for me. It's blah on my skintone.

bbstx thanked Funkyart
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last month

Funky, I’m not a wearer of red lipstick either. Truth be told, I’m not a wearer of any lipstick…just a buyer. 😁 I suppose I ought to learn to wear it more consistently. My 7 y/o DGS told me the other day that I look better when I have on lipstick. Out of the mouth of babes!

I like the Cover Girl Outlast because (1) it is readily available and (2) it is hours before it requires reapplication.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last month
    last modified: last month

If you are not completely satisfied with a Sephora purchase or gift for any reason, Sephora welcomes you to return new or gently used products for a full refund to your original method of payment if returned within 30 days of purchase, in most cases. Returns that are made from 31-60 days after purchase are eligible for online credit (if returned to us by mail) or store credit (if returned in-store). In order to complete the return, you must have a proof of purchase.

bbstx thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Kswl
    last month

It’s called Orange Gina, lol.

bbstx thanked Kswl
  • Kswl
    last month
    last modified: 29 days ago

I would call the model’s lipstick color coral. My mom wears only coral lipstick regardless of what she’s wearing. She wears many shades of it but always the same color family. i guess there is something to the idea of finding a good color for you and sticking with it.

bbstx thanked Kswl
  • eld6161
    last month

I was going to say the same as Mtn. Not everyone can carry off the reds/ oranges. I’m not a fan of bright lipstick anyway.

Personally, i would stick with a neutral.

Mtn makes a good point with Sephora. I never used to returned used beauty products. But, I was getting tired of all the frizz control products not working. Not even s little bit.

bbstx thanked eld6161
  • HU-163897337
    last month

Thats a hard one. Red is a good volor for me but i tarely wear it and if i do, only blue undertones. Do they not have a color in the outlast that will work?

bbstx thanked HU-163897337
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    last month

I’m also of the camp of ”the brighter the outfit, the more neutral the lipstick”. But since all of the lipsticks nowadays seem to dry me out, I rarely wear red anymore😒 When I did, it was either with black or neutral clothing.

bbstx thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Jilly
    last month

I’d wear my daily color — Loreal “Bronze Coin”. It goes with everything.

I’ve worn it exclusively for decades and will cry my eyes out if they ever discontinue it.

bbstx thanked Jilly
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

https://threecustom.com/

This firm still makes the (long discontinued) MAC Pink Malibu for me!

bbstx thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • sas95
    last month

I would not wear a lipstick that "matches" the dress. I would do a pink, not a loud pink but not a total neutral either. There's a Sephora brand lipstick shade that I wear all the time now. It's not a total neutral nor is it very loud. And it happens to be a coral pink. In case the exact shade doesn't come up in the link, it's #5, a shade called Can't Stop.

https://www.sephora.com/product/satin-hydrating-lipstick-P501496?country_switch=us&lang=en&skuId=2564490&om_mmc=ppc-GG_17789371101___2564490__9004205_c&country_switch=us&lang=en&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8J6wBhDXARIsAPo7QA8gpuHsAI24e527vZTOWymppNdZLh0byR9-0HhD1pBFMwqcej7XCkQaAujUEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited to add that on me, the shade is very similar to what the model of your dress is wearing.

bbstx thanked sas95
  • Jilly
    last month

Thank you, mtn! Saving that for future reference.

bbstx thanked Jilly
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last month

I bought L’Oreal Peony Pink yesterday thinking it was a brighter pink than it is. It is a brown-pink as suggested in the Laura Mercier blurb Mtn posted. I’m wearing it around the house to see if it turns color.

I am so much happier not trying to match my lipstick to my clothes!

• Feathers11
    last month

I'm not lipstick-savvy, but agree with others that a pinky-coral or nude would look best with that dress, which, btw, is fantastic!

bbstx thanked Feathers11
  • maddielee
    last month

Trust me on this.

The Covergirl Outlast 840, called Signature Scarlet, looks bright red in the container. It’s not as red as it seems. I would call it red with rust (dirty orange) when applied. I was happily surprised.

Because I needed my glasses to read the tiny number label, I noticed that the Lipstick is made in England. Another nice surprise.

bbstx thanked maddielee
  • Bunny
    last month

I don't wear lipstick, more a tinted gloss. I wear a color (mauve-ish) that's flattering to me, regardless of what I'm wearing, which is usually red or black.

bbstx thanked Bunny
  • Oakley
    29 days ago

Another thing, if your lipstick is close to the color of the dress, I think it would be overkill. Peony Pink makes the colors put together.

bbstx thanked Oakley
  • ratherbesewing
    29 days ago

Love the dress ❤️

bbstx thanked ratherbesewing
Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida