Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lzegarelli

Need help with unifying remodeled pantry and refrigerator wall.

lzegarelli
last month
last modified: last month

Comments (16)

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last month

Is the cabinet space above the refrigerator new? There’s different color paint there, and this cabinet is recessed while your other upper cabinets are not. So it looks odd.

How about painting those doors the same color as the walls so they aren’t noticeable? Or removing the doors completely and painting what’s left the same color as the walls.

lzegarelli thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • lzegarelli
    Original Author
    last month

Hello Littlebug and thank you for yor reply. This is a remodel to fit in a new refrigerator that was larger than the previous. See photo below. The cabinet above fridge was existing and we enlarged the upper space and width of area. I agree with painting the area one color for a more unified look, right now it's patchy. We are repainting entire kitchen and family room a light taupe/gray Agreeable Gray perhaps. I was thinking about treating this area of kitchen as one unit and painting the entire thing the wall color, including the double pantry doors and trim. I was also thinking about painting the island the same color as pantry fridge wall unit to have a bridge between the existing maple cabinetry. The top photo with painted island and natural wood cabinets I posted, shows an example of what I'm trying to achieve. Were also updating formica to a white granite countertop with a neutral glass subway tile backsplash. Thank you for your help.

• cat_ky
    last month

I agree the cabinets above the frig, is not the best look, but, since you already have them, have them trimmed out around the edges, and all the wall area painted the same as the rest of the wall, so it will at least blend in better.

• lzegarelli
    Original Author
    last month

Littlebug, I also like the idea of removing the doors on the cabinet above fridge and leaving open!

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last month

Wide open isn’t a bad look. You could set one large decor item there, something subdued and sophisticated. A ginger pot or vase or sculpture.

lzegarelli thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • lzegarelli
    Original Author
    last month

Funny I was just perusing the internet for ideas! :)

• HU-910663146
    last month

The cabinets above the refrigerator stick out like a sore thumb. They are just too much wood in one space.

• susan49417
    last month

Personally, unless you actually need the space above the fridge for storage, I would drywall over it and eliminate the opening. It just looks odd.

• thinkdesignlive
    last month

Google jib doors and maybe consider those for the pantry and over fridge - in a whole wall of T&G panels.

• doods
    last month

@Izegarelli .... I like your idea of painting that whole wall including the pantry doors and their trim, too much wood for me in your kitchen.

• apple_pie_order
    last month

If you like the wood, consider panelling the wall with pantry, fridge and cabinet with wood that matches the cabinets. It will look intentional, not make-do. Not much wood would be needed.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

Lose the cabinet aboove the fridg eand paint the pantry doors the same as the wall.

• ffpalms
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

I also like the idea of removing the doors. You might try covering the sides, back and top with a removable wallpaper (couldn’t get that effect with my mock-up) that brings in the color of your dining chairs.

• btydrvn
    29 days ago

Just a thought on how useful a cabinet above the fridge will be…due to difficult access..it would be most useful for items that are rarely used..only needed occasionally..like seasonal items …oversized serving pieces…or even back stock of paper towels..napkins…access will obviously require a step ladder..so that will need to be handy and close, if possible

• btydrvn
    29 days ago

And..doors a good idea,of course

• btydrvn
    29 days ago

Also in that location..doors that open from the bottom..and lift up ….would make the most sense

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH