Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dayse9

SW urban bronze with orange oak furniture?

dayse9
last month

Hi,

We are redoing my teen son’s bedroom. His bedroom furniture is an orangy oak. we were looking at SW urban bronze as an accent wall. would that go with orange oak furniture? what other color would you paint the other three walls?

Comments (13)

• dayse9
    Original Author
    last month

Other color options…

• apple_pie_order
    last month

Urbane Bronze will look gloomy inside, it is better as an exterior accent.

Will you be replacing the football print bedding with something more suitable to older teens or is it fine for now? It's often easy to pick new paint colors using bedding colors as a guide.

• Boxerpal
    last month

I find that sometimes complimentary colors work nicely together. Your furniture is orange so across the color wheel is blue. Orange and Blue are complimentary colors. They balance each other out.

Although you have blue on the walls now, have you considered a darker more muted blue gray color? Like this image below. The oak orange color looks great with the blue.

Philadelphia Penthouse Apartment · More Info

this oak is a bit more yellow than yours

John Lewis Scandi Bedroom · More Info

Seaholm Condo · More Info

Bedroom with Deep Blue Walls · More Info

buttery yellow with the orange looks super.

Gallery · More Info

British West Indies Custom Home in Naples · More Info

• dayse9
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

the bedspread will be changing too. my son is the one who originally wanted a dark black or was okay with urban bronze. I LOVE the dark blues and originally suggested it. he says he wants dark black/ brown.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last month
    last modified: last month

I think it would look great together, and I'd give him what he wants. It's just a coat of paint. And I'd paint the entire room in the dark color.

Look how great this orangey pine furniture looks with the dark mantel:

Modern Farmhouse · More Info

Modern Farmhouse · More Info

• njmomma
    last month

I agree with above, do all four walls dark and ceiling white. I would probably do the molding dark also. Make sure the room had great lighting. The light fixtures should put off the right light.

• kazzh
    last month

I'll hazard a guess and suggest the teen was possibly thinking a dense jet black in his room. Maybe you could suggest a charcoal black, or a black with a bluish cast, and it might get a yes? The examples of the dark rooms provided look great with the wood.

• Boxerpal
    29 days ago

Of course go with the color your child loves.

Years ago we painted a half wall Bright grape purple because my daughter loved the color

Here are some fun examples of black walls and orange furniture.

Warren Street Townhouse, Cobble Hill Brooklyn · More Info

Gallery · More Info

Vacant Home Staging & Color Consultation · More Info

15th Street Residence · More Info

Designed by Jeff Lewis - Winter 2014 Catalog · More Info

• freedomplace1
    29 days ago

For sure, let him have his Urbane Bronze accent wall! It works with his furniture. Maybe do the other walls in a white.

Accent walls are basically against the law on this site. But fortunately this site has very little to do with actual design. And in any case, no design police will be showing up at your house.

• dayse9
    Original Author
    29 days ago

What about steering him towards the SW iron ore instead? Better with the orange oak?

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    29 days ago

My bet is that if you painted it in Iron Ore he wouldn't know the difference. He just wants a dark, moody color.

• freedomplace1
    29 days ago

Why do you want to steer him towards Iron Ore? Because you think it’s more grey ? If anything, the Urbane Bronze works better with his wood tones. But the main issue is that is his room...

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    29 days ago

OUr lokdest son painted a album cover on his bedroom wall it was mostly black . We sold thta house and the deal was we would reapit that wall since the buyers were using it for a nursery . I took 5 coats to cover it so be aware of that and just do one wall IMO. That space lloks really tight is there no way to remove those dressers and add better storage in the closet .