Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oliveandwell

Designing walk in closet 9’ x 17.5’

oliveandwell
last month
last modified: last month

We are in the middle of building a home and we’re excited about the possibilities with our master closet. It sits above our garage and is 9’ by 17.5’. How do you think I should design it? I like minimal and simple. Thanks!🙏

Comments (21)

• PRO
  • kandrewspa
    last month

Not everyone has the same requirements for a closet. I would engage one of the closet fabricating companies to consult and build out your closet. Ikea and The Container Store have solutions, too. But you have to think through what you need beforehand. Don't have the builder put in a random assortment of wire shelves and hanging bars. That is usually what's done in new construction. It looks cheap and it would just be a coincidence if it met your needs.

• Louise Smith
    last month

Can't design your closet, but will offer comment: pay close attention to the lighting. You may want to have multiple lighting schemes to replicate the environment in which you will be going. For example, if you are going to an office with bright overhead cool lighting, your clothes will have a different look than if you are going to someone's house for a quiet dinner with warm lighting.

Also, depending on where you live, you may want to install an exhaust fan in the closet to ensure lower humidity to preserve your clothes. Good closet ventilation, especially with a window and outside wall, is important.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

When designing a closet, you need to sit down and write out what you need - hanging, shelves for folded items, shelves for shoes, places for bags, belts , hats etc. Are you keeping socks and undies in here ? Measure the height of your hanging shirts, pants, dresses, overcoats etc and what widths you will need for them.

There are tons of things you can do here, but that sort of stuff needs to be done first.

Keep in mind - hanging will stick out about 25 - 26" from each wall , so a 9ft wide closet with hanging on both sides will leave you with approx 56" to walk through. That is great.

Here is a picture of a closet I am currently working on

Hope this helps get your thoughts going.

• chispa
    last month

I like the ELFA System from The Container Store. Try to visit one of the their stores to see the displays and get lots of ideas. If you make an appointment, one of their closet designers can do a preliminary layout and pricing. You can then makes changes later via calls/email.

• bpath
    last month

Are those electrical outlets I see, or are they HVAC vents? both helpful. If you have or put outlets in there, you can have a small ironing board for when you pull something from a drawer or hanger and it needs a quick press.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last month

Based upon all the design direction given, "I like minimal and simple", the drawing shows the solution.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

When designing a walk in I make a list of all the things I need to store . My shoes are the first on the list. How much long hanging space do you need ? Are you sharing this with your SO then they need to have input too. Do you like all your folded stauff to be in drawers or openshelving? I agree do not have any thing installed before the plan is figured out. I do a ton of double hanging for tops and pants for both of us. Good lighting is amust I like all track light in LED 4000K it allows me to light areas perfectly and the 4000K mimics bright daylight so colors are true I have one large 6 drawers dresser for each of us for underwear , t-shirts etc . I use garment bags that breathe for things we do not wear often to protect them . I have all black ones . I store all my bedding for our master in my walk in too . I did a lot of thinking before doing this closet . IMO every closet has to be done for how you live and what you own. Yours is a bit bigger than mine so I would plan on a nice bench in the center and maybe even a makeup area .

• njmomma
    last month

I chose to go IKEA for my walk in closet. It’s been over 20 years and still looks new.

• njmomma
    last month

Knowing your needs is key. I hang almost everything. I wanted draws in my closet. I planned it so well that there is actually no clothes in any of my furniture drawers. Two nights stands with two large drawers each. Dresser with mirror, high boy. What a waste of furniture that I now need to dust 😂

• AnnKH
    last month

We have a walk-in closet in our current home, and a chest of drawers from our previous home. In the last we used the chest of drawers for sock, underwear, sweaters - it was right next to the closet. In the current house, it's quite a few steps away, so using it for everyday clothing was a pain - especially when it came to putting away laundry.

I built a closet system with hanging, drawers, and shelves, and it is wonderful! Now the chest of drawers is used for less-used items, like wool socks, long underwear and ski pants (still sweaters, since 2 of the drawers are cedar).

I agree with the others that we can't be much help - only you know how much room you need for long and short hanging, shoes, drawers, and shelves.

You should also plan for blinds or curtains for the window - sunlight fades clothes.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    last month

Agree with BPMBA. My only comment is that your closet is so huge it should include any dressers you need so that they don't clutter up the bedroom. Which will make your bedroom more minimal and simple.

• dani_m08
    last month

I am very interested in this post - I am starting to plan a renovation of my closet - and the space is basically identical to yours!

It runs over the length of my garage - and has the same angled ceiling along the sides. It is about 8’ wide x 18.5’ long.

I’ve been thinking about a way to use some of the space behind the walls along the length (maybe some recessed shelves or a few built-in drawers + a door for some storage space for suitcases, etc. Something that could be accessed behind hanging clothes - for things that aren’t used as often (or maybe change it out depending upon seasons?) I’ve been looking at ways to have some of the ”built-ins” be able to swing out - and have the recessed shelves behind them. Still trying to figure it out.

Currently, it just has small cubbies right inside the door (on both sides) that I use for

t shirts/tanks + a little jewelry area that I’ve made w the top couple shelves/cubbies on the other side + clothes railings with a wood shelf above running down both sides (all set at the same height - for long hanging items. The end has a lower shelf and hanging below it.

It doesn’t have a window - but I’ve been thinking about adding one (I love natural light + the garage would look better with a window up in that area).

I’ve been used to having this closet all to myself - however, I need to start sharing it soon. My three other bedrooms all have nice sized closets - I told my SO that he could have all three of those - instead of sharing this one ( but that’s probably not going to happen 😂).

He has a TON of clothes (he wears a suit to the office 99% of the time)—and maybe even more shoes than I do (and I love shoes). So, we are donating clothes/shoes - and assessing where we are at in a few weeks in order to determine our specific needs related to layout.

While it’s fun to get some ideas of cool features to add— it really is a personal decision re: how to divide the space between short and long hanging space + shoe storage (and some place for his RIDICULOUS tie collection - 250+ ties - not kidding).

I think that I may turn the adjacent bedroom into a dressing room - I need a place for my purse collection - and we don’t need three spare bedrooms . . . That way I could have an island and a special (secret) jewelry area also!

• oliveandwell
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Thanks everyone for your comments. I hear you that a closet design is all about personal preference. But I was hoping for your vision of what you would do in this space, even if it’s not exactly what I would do. That way I can gain insight into different perspectives.

@dani_m08 I love the idea of recessed drawers!! I hadn’t even thought of that. I’m sharing my space with my SO and I’m not sure yet if it’s better to divide the closet down the middle so we each have one side. Or if it’s better to have one side of the closet be all built in drawers and the opposite side for hanging. And then we each share part of the walls. Good luck as you keep designing your space!!

We will take inventory of what we have and then determine what we need, but for the moment I’m playing around with different ideas of what it would look like aesthetically. For example, under the window I can envision a built in bench or vanity where I can do my make up. I found some pics online and what is a major priority is making sure it doesn’t look cluttered or like a “tunnel” as some of these pics do. We will not be doing an island. I like the style of the last picture with wood cabinetry, but it is feeling too narrow.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    29 days ago

Your layout will ba similar to that last picture with the cabinets, however you will have more floor space. Your closet is 9ft wide - those cabinets are about 25" deep - that leaves 58" floor space. I would guess that picture to be maybe 42". Your cabinets will also be shorter since you have a sloped ceiling so that will help with the appearance.

Good luck!

• rockybird
    29 days ago

It's such a great space for a closet. I was going to also suggest a small seating area. I would do some built ins as well.

• dani_m08
    29 days ago

Here are some ideas re: using eave space behind walls in closet.

This is what I meant re: access behind shelves/hanging clothes. Having them built with pivot hinges (used for hidden doors) on the left would be easy to use. I’ve seen ones where they rolled forward - not as easy - but if you use the right wheels + no carpet, apparently isn’t difficult to access space.

Both of the above examples are for accessing short spaces - we both have taller usable spaces along our walls.

This shows how to construct the built-in drawers/cabinets:

Depending on how much space is available - this would be nice (but I’d want solid backs added that would hide the storage behind):

I have thought about this quite a bit 😂

• oliveandwell
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Wow, this is super creative. I appreciate you sharing it! That top drawer of the built in cabinets can be used for sunglasses or other accessories. I love it. And the secret drawers are cool too. Perfect for hiding xmas gifts 😂

• chicagoans
    28 days ago

What an awesome space for a closet! One thing I asked my closet guy to do is place the shelves (the bottom shelf is fixed) and drawers high enough from the floor so that I can slide a laundry basket below. Unfortunately, he measured before the carpet was installed and now a basket doesn't fit so I had to find another spot. My closet is much smaller than yours so I had to get creative with the corners, but here's my mix of shelves, drawers, and hanging space (in case this helps with ideas.) I'm not quite brave enough to post it filled! If I had a closet your size, my SO might actually get to use some of it. :)

• AnnKH
    28 days ago

Chicagoans, my closet is a lot like yours - but since I installed them myself (and the bottom shelf is not fixed), I do have room for laundry baskets!

These were taken early on; I've since added more drawers and shelves, which are fabulous. Hubby is tall, so I mounted the double rods for his shirts higher on the wall, giving more room for his sleeves to hang. There are more shelves behind the door.