Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smallaxe

What goes where in this long room?

JJ
28 days ago

Hello all. A month or so ago I asked about my kitchen and got great advice so I'm back to ask about this space. The final verdict is to leave the kitchen ugly until we can do a proper renovation, btw.

I cleared all the furniture out except the two small things that are hopefully easy to ignore in the photos. I do not need to keep those items in that space. The room is (just shy of) 23 ft x 12.5 ft.

This space has been a living/dining combo, and also a home gym in the time we've lived here. I have trouble with proportions and dimensions and visualizing what will look good in such a long space. It has never really felt like a space I want to be in in the past configurations.

Some notes: We are painting, getting furniture, and area rugs as needed. Also a bigger TV appropriate to the wall size.

If we do a living/dining combo: I'll just admit we're a lazy TV-watching family of 4. We like to chill. Our kids like to see the TV from the dining table, and we all want a good view from the seating area. What size and shape dining table and where to put it? We like a wider table so there's room to play games/cards, spread out homework, or just allow both sides to have their place settings and some breathing room. What size/configuration for sofa(s), chairs, coffee table, etc. Entertaining is not a factor.

If we make this an exercise area again, any thoughts? We would need put our rowing machine in the room (100 inches long), add a thick area rug for yoga and dance, and have some kind of storage for yoga mats, weights, and the kids' video games they use for dance/exercise.

Which use of the space is Question #1. Where do the items go and what are some good dimensions or rules for calculating that?

Which wall to place the TV is question #2. The wall where it is now (104 inches), or the wall along the staircase? If you can eyeball a good screen size, let me hear it. Wall mount or put TV on a media stand is question #3.

Bonus Q: We are deciding if the chair rail should come down, be replaced with something complementary to the new baseboards coming in, or just leave it be. I do not plan to do two-tone paint if the rail stays.

Last note: hate the floor tile and am happy to cover as much of it as possible with area rugs. Stair carpet needs replacement, if the spirit moves you, please weigh in.

Comments (13)

• latifolia
    28 days ago

The first question is should this be the living/dining room or an exercise room. What other space can you use for those, if not here? It is more convenient if the dining area is near the kitchen, so I'd start with that.

Your floor tiles are neutral and look to be in good shape. The current wall colors are not bad, but could be better with the tile. Is this a lower level? How much natural light does the room get? I'd paint all the walls a warm white that works with the tile. Do not use grey.

JJ thanked latifolia
  • JJ
    Original Author
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

Hi Latifolia,

Yes, this is downstairs and the amount of light in the photos is the tail-end of the afternoon sun we get through the entry door panel (south facing), the front window (SW) and the 3 windows along the long 23 foot wall. The paint colors were a color match that didn't turn out right and came out much more gray vs taupes. Will be nice to change it up. The tiles are in good shape but are something of a chameleon as they can read orange, pink, or gold throughout the day (see photos).

After you pass through the archway, there's a kitchen with an eat-in nook and slider going out to the back. A 36-in round or 40-in square with 4 chairs is really the max that would work; it would get the job done but be a bit tight. Off the kitchen and nook is a family room where we have the home gym now. It is weird to have exercise equipment near your kitchen and eating area, but also weird to open the front door and see a rowing machine.

• JJ
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Thanks for the mock-up Beverly, that is just what we need to help visualize our options. I see some space from the walls for the area rug. Do you recommend a certain amount of space?

• doods
    27 days ago

I feel the chair rail painted white is accentuating the length of the room.

JJ thanked doods
  • JJ
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Thanks for the photos and inspiration. I agree a sectional is unlikely to happen because of the shorter wall. I thought either two chairs that swivel on that wall or a love seat maybe. I was taking down measurements then wondering, "well does the rug go 2 ft from the wall, 3 ft, flush?" I cannot do spatial processing.

Like so many odd things in our new normal, thank covid! Our 4th bedroom had to become a full time work from home office space with privacy and a door. The exercise equipment had to go somewhere else.

We are the 5th owners of this house and did not put in the chair rail. It appears every occupant put their own regrettable addition :) Us included! Our painter was the one who floated the idea of a new squared off chair rail since he'll have to do a lot of texture work to fix underneath it. I think it marries you to having some things at a certain height you may not otherwise select, so your insights are very helpful.

• k8cd
    27 days ago

I am no help with actual design but I would leave the workout equipment where it is and make this room into a living/ dining space.

JJ thanked k8cd
  • latifolia
    27 days ago

It looks like Beverly's layout has the TV area near the kitchen. I'm wondering if the dining area could go there.

• JJ
    Original Author
    27 days ago

I wondered about dining area there too. Makes the dining table closer to the powder room and the sofa area much further from the tv though.

• k8cd
    27 days ago

There are sectionals that are less than 104”. Here’s one example from Room & Board-

JJ thanked k8cd
  • elcieg
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago
    JJ thanked elcieg
  • latifolia
    27 days ago

Can't you move the TV?

• JJ
    Original Author
    27 days ago

I expect a certain amount of snark on Houzz when requesting free design advice, so no offense taken, I guess.

• JJ
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Hi there, thank you for the paint and fabric ideas, elcieg. I have Balboa Mist in my bedroom, actually. Totally different lighting and flooring but I love it. I am looking at Cedar Key for a possibility too.