Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brittanyrivard

To Beam or Not to Beam?

Should we add decorative beams to our ceilings?
Does anyone have a similar living room/dining room area to share pictures?
Thank you

Comments (19)

• houssaon
    27 days ago

If you add a beam to the vault, will you continue it to the outside?

• Brittany MacKinnon
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Yes I was thinking something similar to this- as well as a space divider between the dining room and living room area

• Boxerpal
    27 days ago

Yes, if you can afford and like the way it looks, it will look wonderful.

• chispa
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

I have faux boxed beams and I like them ... but their location and sizing was figured out with our architect during the design process.

Your beams won't have a wall, or cased opening, to "tie into" on the right side ... they will just be floating on the right side?

• Brittany MacKinnon
    Original Author
    27 days ago

@Chispa, if we do it, we would put one down the ceiling here as well

• Kat M
    27 days ago

It will be gorgeous.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    27 days ago

IMO this was something that should have been done before now and fake beams always look fake when slapped on after construction .

• Brittany MacKinnon
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Patricia are you suggesting we don’t do it at all then? It should have been done prior to insulation? Or during framing?

• HU-121436380
    27 days ago

For a beam to look realistic, it should appear to have proper support. Dead ending over a window or door doesnt do that.

• chispa
    27 days ago

Yes, I knew you would have to do a "support" beam, but it will make the space look like it is cut in half and not at the correct spot. If you had planned ahead, I would have move the sliders/doors over a few feet or made them a bit smaller.

• Brittany MacKinnon
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Is there anything we can do at this point to make it look as realistic as possible?

• chispa
    27 days ago

Was there an architect involved in the design? I would be talking to him/her. Or find a local Interior Designer, who has experience with construction design, to visit the site and give you some options.

• millworkman
    27 days ago

" Is there anything we can do at this point to make it look as realistic as possible? "

Not really because of window and door placement and the open concept with the room next to it with different ceiling heights. As chispa mentions it really needed to be considered and planned out as part of the whole home, not as lipstick at the last moment.

• Brittany MacKinnon
    Original Author
    27 days ago

View from the other side.

• la_la Girl
    27 days ago

Agree with @chispa - for me personally, I don't think this is something I would add at this stage - usually it is factored in from the beginning

• chispa
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

Maybe skip the beams and do just one beam along the ridge and a wood finish on the ceiling. You still have the issue of the slope on the right running right into the flat ceiling without any separation.

Vermont Ski House Renovation · More Info

Mountain Lodge · More Info

Edgemont-Tahoe · More Info

• freedomplace1
    26 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

I think it may be fortunate that the beams were not installed. Exposed ceiling beams are really not a desirable thing, from a Feng Shui perspective. If they don’t have to be there, I personally would never install them.

That said, there are people who have them and like them: and if you want to add them in at this point, I don’t think it matters if they don’t exactly look like they are holding up the place. A lot of people install decorative beams, and the beam police will not be coming to your house.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    26 days ago

I don't think you can run a beam to the outside of the house. But you sure can run beams inside.

What about trying a different direction or configuration?

I have seen some faux beams that actually look really nice - you would have to order samples.

Here is one my customer did

The space looks great!

Good luck

• Colin Etheridge
    26 days ago

Beams are doable, and a competent designer can easily figure it out. (You could add small columns at the wall edges, running them long-ways at the ceiling and wall line, then up to the peak.)

In this case though, I think you get better, cleaner use of the height with a textured ceiling like wood or painted wood. I'd do that. It keeps your lines clean and simple, and it puts the focus on the window (especially if you run boards toward the window)