Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_302367246

Would you accept this stair install?

Joe SFG
26 days ago

New home build. I stopped the by the other day and noticed one of the railing was not straight. It had a weird jog at the end. Almost like something wasn’t measure or aligned correctly.

https://imgur.com/a/XqTodWB

I brought it up to the builder and here is what they said:

“the reason the railing has that jog is because the landing is wider and the 3 rise is set further from the wall. If we were to pull the post inline of the railing we wouldn’t be able to properly secure it”.

Does this make sense? Did the stair installer mess up and the railing installer have no choice?

Comments (11)

• Joe SFG
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Did the stair installer mess up and then the post and railing guy had no choice?

• millworkman
    26 days ago

What did the drawings show? Can you tale pictures from above?

• vinmarks
    26 days ago

I would not be happy with that. I do not know much about stair and rail building but that seems wrong.

@millworkman Go to the link in OPs post. There are more pictures.

• millworkman
    26 days ago

Ah thanks @vinmarks, missed that.

Looks to me that newel post should have been installed further onto the landing from what see.

• AC M
    25 days ago

I wouldn’t accept that. So much of it is wonky. In addition to the strange landing treatment, the spot where the stairs wrap around the corner is crazy, the rail should have gone straight into the post closer to the correct hand height for someone on the stair below the triangular one, then they rest their hand on the top of the post as they navigate the turning stairs, and rail comes out from post at correct height to continue up the stairs…
    I have double posts very close together on my landing, that could have been an option.
    Some of what they did could be due to code where the house is, but since they let you have the tight corner turning stairs rather than another landing, they are probably lenient in your area.

• millworkman
    25 days ago

Yeah, I did not even pay any attention to the winder treads, Where are you located that that is even allowed?

• T T
    25 days ago

For safety and consistency, I would recommend making that lower turn a landing instead of winder treads. It's odd that you have a landing on the upper area where the stairs turn and then it becomes winder treads on the lower area. This inconsistency introduced a high risk of human error when navigating the stairs, especially if someone is not looking, has their hands full, or is groggy. This is a big safety issue in my opinion. Landings are always better, but mixing a landing with winding treads is a recipe for injury.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    25 days ago

Handrail requirements are part of the reason I rarely use winder stairs. All my treads and landings are rectangles.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    25 days ago

The winders may be code compliant; you'll need measurements per this picture to verify:

If you aren't compliant here, you're getting a red tag which will make the rail problem look like a walk in the park.

I'm not seeing why blocking the post out at the riser wouldn't have been a better trade off than the jogged rail; certainly less conspicuous. I'm not buying the inability to secure argument of the builder.

And speaking of conspicuous, wait until the apparently flat sawn custom made jog piece takes a stain compared to the apparently quarter sawn main rail. You better have a hell of a finisher.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    25 days ago

"What did the drawings show?"

I've never seen a set of prints that had specific rise and run included. The architect/designer gives the stair builder a guesstimate at finished floor heights and hopefully enough space between walls to shoehorn everything in while still meeting code.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    25 days ago

Not that this is always a design error. Someone may want a bigger bathroom or two and steal the space from the stairwell. Can't do that without asking.