Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_283081375

Accent color for kitchen cabinet island cabinets help needed - grey?

HU-283081375
23 days ago

My kitchen cabinets are going to be white on the long main wall.

At first, I thought to use a wood variant. But didn't see something I liked in the cabinet series that I am going to use. Or, I felt that the wood is competing too much with the wood floor.

Then I had the idea of a grey tone as the island cabinet accent. There is a lighter grey and a darker grey. I feel that the lighter grey (Harber) works better with the floor. However, doesn't provide a lot of contrast with the white. On the other hand, I am not sure how the darker grey (Stone) works with the floor?

Didn't want to do blue. I felt Sage would be more a bathroom color.

Top is white Linen

bottom right is Harber

Bottom left is Stone

BTW. Here are my choices.

https://www.waypointlivingspaces.com/all-products/cabinet-details.html?style=580&material=painted&color=navy

I am going a bit in circles and could use any advice....

Comments (13)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    22 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

They all look blue. The first thing is layout, and not sure you have the best. I'd want that cooker off the island and vented.

Start there. We don't know your counter top, and there is NO rule, especially in a small kitchen, that the island must be a different color, let alone GRAY.

Post the 2 d cabinet plan with the feet and inches, please?

• voyager2cow voyager2cow
    22 days ago

I agree, they do look at least blueish if not blue. The way this is described, it's not easy to give a piece of advice, at least for me.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    22 days ago

Why a contrast for the island cabinets at all? I have no idea of the actual whole kitcehn cabinet layout either. since we do not see the wall to to the right. Sorry to me abathroom color is more apt to be blue which all of those are . You have thousands of choices for color in a painted cabinet but of course not from your cabinet company. IMO a simple no pattern permimeter counter and a star island counter would be my choice .A bigger issue for mwe is the cooking applaince in the island maybe fix that first .

• kandrewspa
    22 days ago

None of the color samples you're showing look good with your floor. Even the white looks too cool. Can you get a door sample of the white? The samples you're showing are very small, which can be deceptive. What about black, boulder or navy for the island?

North Tustin · More Info

• HU-283081375
    Original Author
    22 days ago

thank you for your comments.

Let me try to provide some additional information.

We are trying to minimize the construction and leave sink and range in the same or nearby spaces. That is the reason for the range being in the island.

The floorplan:

(there is one slight mistake: there will be also a 12" overhang to the right of the island

Regarding colors. I download from the mfg web site to see if this changes anything. Not sure about black. Not opposed to Navy or keeping them white. There is a vanilla, but it seems a bit yellow to me.

I can get door samples.

• la_la Girl
    22 days ago

What is your countertop going to be?

• HU-283081375
    Original Author
    22 days ago

I was waiting to decide on countertop until I finalized the cabinet color. I was looking at a white quartz with some veins. But recently also thought about more grey/beige or even slate.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    22 days ago

Too many details are missing . What is behind the "bar" area. Is the there a wall behind the seating at the island?

You're worrying on the short term construction, but your layout isn't the best you could have. show the existing kitchen and some areas around it, it pictures/jpegs. please ?

• HU-283081375
    Original Author
    22 days ago

Thank you all for you patience.

On the other side of bar is a dining area/table.

On the other island side there is a living room/lounge area with a couch, swivel cahirs etc.

Here is the current setup. The wall with the fridge will be removed and converted to island

Second image is from dining area into the kitchen

• M Miller
    22 days ago

Why do you need a cabinet "accent"? Unless the island cabinets are going to be wood (which you said they are not), then make the island cabinets the same as the rest of the kitchen cabinetry.

Here are the reasons not to have an island cabinet "accent" color: first, it simply is not needed, and I can see no reason for it. Second, you would have to choose counters and backsplash to go with two cabinet colors rather than one. It is hard enough to choose the counters and backsplash to go with one cabinet color, but you will be doubling the difficulty. Make life easier and have the island cabinets be the same color, and then move on to your other choices.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    22 days ago

I'd strongly consider a layout change. The money merits further consideration..........as the result should last. I'd not compromise for what isn't that much construction

The so called "sink mess" is largely bad/inefficient habits and 99% of everything can go in a dishwasher right out your hand......and out of your sight.

Add that on the island depth? It is a lot better than having a no vent cook top there, or a noisy down draft cooktop

Watch your clearances between walls and island ( 48" )

• RoyHobbs
    22 days ago

If you are going to have cabinet fronts with narrow stiles and rails as you’ve pictured, think about where will the knobs or pulls go. That is one reason it might be better to choose the more typical stiles and rails than the thin ones.

• HU-283081375
    Original Author
    22 days ago

@Jan moyer: really appreciate your input and taking the time to create a new plan.

I will take a day to reflect on the range/sink locations. I do know there are some challenges crossing HVAC ducts with exhaust pipes in ceiling and plumping below due to HVAC duct obstructions.

"sink mess" is not an issue for me as I try to stay on top.

The big drawback of the range in island is really the ceiling mounted exhaust that takes away from open feel. Otherwise, I don't mind seeing people when cooking. But it might be worthwhile to swap locations and consider a larger construction expense for resale value.

Unfortunately, I can only do a 12" deep pantry as the patio window/door section is getting close to the wall (townhome)

I did plan for 48" between bottom wall cabinet section and island. Can I get away with 38" on the sides of the island?

I do have the 5' clearance between counter stools and next furniture.