Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottie_vitrano

fabric decision

Almost home
20 days ago

Thoughts on these fabrics. The tan and red striped fabric looks ok with the rug but the yellow and green striped works well with the sofa fabric, which is the solid.

Just want to know if it’s good enough. I do not wish to replace the wool rug which is just a few years old.

Comments (12)

• HU-187528210
    20 days ago

The green doesn’t work with the rug. So if it’s in the same room as this new fabric I’d do the brown / red one for sure

• Almost home
    Original Author
    20 days ago

I agree but I like the striped fabric better. One goes great with the rug. The other goes great with the chair. What a challenge it is trying to find something that works with both. The fabric with the red stripe is more of a rusty/warm bread, while the red in the rug is not a rust red, but more of a blue red.

• KW PNW Z8
    20 days ago

I like the tan & red stripe better with rug too. This is upholstery fabric for a ??? what?

• Almost home
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Sofa for great room and the fabric in question will be for a swivel chair.

There is also a Hancock and Moore , mocha colored, leather chair and another chair that will be reupholstered in a neutral.

• Rho Dodendron
    20 days ago

Keep looking for a fabric that has all the colors in it.

• KW PNW Z8
    20 days ago

Does the tan & red fabric that looks better with the rug also look better with the mocha colored leather chair? You haven’t shown us the room for these pieces but wondering if you should cover both the swivel & that other chair you plan to redo in the new fabric you pick now. Otherwise you have 1 plain neural fabric sofa, 1 leather chair & 2 fabric chairs each in a different fabric - 1 neutral - but different than the neutral sofa & one pattern. Then add pattern on rug. That sounds like a lot of different things.

• Boxerpal
    20 days ago

Your dog is so sweet napping there while you snap away with the camera.

Which is the one you love the most? Obviously the dog. But which material? Rug or Fabrics?

So hard to choose....We all go to the candy store and want them all but we have to pick one.

Which is the winner? Who do you love the most????

My brutal opinion is that neither fabric looks great. Sorry, I know you love that rug you just bought. Yes, the bottom image looks slightly better with the sofa but then the rug is fighting with it. With all the wonderful fabrics in the world could we keep searching to find the one that says AHHHH that's it the winner that looks awesome with my rug. And why do you love the rug? Was it a good price or a family treasure or just the style you love. Maybe it feels soft on your feet. If it really has to stay then lets make that rug the star of the show and match everything to it. Which might mean the sofa needs to be recovered or a silent partner in the space.

Could you take a photo of the entire room? Maybe there is something I am not seeing. From this close up vantage point there could be buckets of light coming in, or a table in the view that brings out the green or the beige more into the limelight... Show me the space so I can really dive into loving what you love too about the rug and the sofa.

If you really want me to choose.. I say the bottom one that goes with the sofa better because maybe that sweet dog will pee on the rug and you will have to throw the rug out.. HA HA HA Okay I have not had my coffee . That was terribly mean of me.

Truly looking forward to your space unfold and seeing it all in it's loveliness.

• Maureen
    20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

1. You’re not in love with either, so you never will be. Taking time now will be worth it in the long run as upholstering is a big commitment. Also with upholstering a second chair, I’d be choosing both fabrics at the same time. Can you show the entire room/pieces and you’ll get more helpful advice.

2. Imagine the fabrics in a large dose, are you able to see an entire roll to get a better sense? Also, it‘s more time consuming for the upholsterer to be lining up/matching.

3. A smaller pattern is easier to live with, coordinate around, and not clash with rug (add impactful cushions instead.

• Almost home
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Rho… and I love your sign in name, another garden, plant lover! I have looked for a fabric that has the colors of the rug to no avail. The rug I thought was a few years old is probably closer to five or six. it’s challenging because Dilot change, and I’m not having much success finding a fabric with these colors. I may end up giving the rug away or selling it. I do like the rug it is swollen. It’s very soft on the feet and it looks good in the space. If it is sunny tomorrow, will try to take pictures of thie great room.

• Almost home
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Oops. That’s what happens when I dictate with Siri!!!! should be dye lot,not DILOT.

• Almost home
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Thanks for your honest opinions. Appreciate all input.

Interestingly, this rug, which I never loved, was purchased to blend with the previous sofa which worked perfectly. Switched things around years ago, bought a small sectional, and then had the challenging task to find a new rug to work with the new sectional. This was the best I could find and I only wanted wool.

Previous rug with the sectional was a maslan wool with Trellis pattern. Looked great

The sofa that worked with this rug was given away and now I have the challenging task of finding a sofa and chair fabric to work with the rug. The other chair that will be reupholstered will likely be moved to another part of the house. If I keep it, it’ll be reupholstered in the same fabric I choose for the chair to keep it cohesive.

I do not make impulsive decisions. Call me analysis paralysis! For a plethora of reasons, time is of the essence to get this completed, or I would not have this urgency to finalize fabric. What I may do is order the sofa, which does work well with the rug, and look elsewhere for another chair, and likely order two chairs that have the colors of the rug in the sofa, if such a fabric exists.

This is the problem with buying fabric rugs, etc. at different times, dye lots change and it’s really difficult to match and find fabric that has all of the colors in the rug at this point.

I may sell the rug, I may give it away, just not sure, but giving away the previous sofa has opened up a Pandora’s box and it’s taking up too much time trying to coordinate everything. I have looked for fabric with the colors in the rug ( my first challenge) to no avail. I’ve scoured the Internet

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Not to worry, your comments do not offend! 😄

Depending on schedule, I will post pics tomorrow.

Thanks, everyone!

• Susan L
    19 days ago

That’s some bossy old rug, if you’re going to let it pick all your new furniture.