Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sam_pallotta

Help with tiny bath reno!

Sam P
19 days ago

Looking to sell our home soon and would like to re-do this wee powder room and inject some personality. I intend to leave footprint as is, but change flooring & vanity, and add wainscotting with wallpaper above. Pics of current bathroom attached and some wallpaper I like. Any suggestions for floor/vanity/wallpaper welcome!
Room dimensions: 78” x 37.5”
Thx :)

Comments (11)

• Missy Bee
    19 days ago

Sounds like a lovely plan. I prefer the top most wall paper…

• Lyn Nielson
    19 days ago

nice paper options, but it won't help sell the home.

a fresh coat of paint and a spotless clean will sell it.

people want to imagine what they would do to the home to make it their own.

But, if you are itching for a decorating job, have at it!

• tlynn1960
    19 days ago

When selling, just clean, declutter and price accordingly. Flooring changes are helpful if they are being made to have one cohesive flooring throughout like putting hardwood everywhere there was previously carpet and vinyl to reduce choppy rooms of differing flooring. I've had a couple homes with powder room wainscoting (chair rail with wallpaper above and picture pane wainscoting in another) and prefer none for easier cleaning.

• la_la Girl
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

Seems small for wainscoting? - if it were me and I wanted to "freshen" for a sale:

I would

- paint the walls a nice neutral color that compliments the floor (maybe SW Alabaster?)

- change/update the faucet, this is not $$$ and will make a big difference

- add a nice soap dispenser (I liked Polished Jar)

- only have 1 trashcan

- change out the shark for something lower key

- close toilet seat when showing the house

• Maureen
    19 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

Wainscotting and wallpaper don’t appeal to everyone and some may see a big job to remove vs painting a color they might prefer. For instance, I’m not a fan of any of the wallpapers you have chosen and do they work with the vanity and flooring, as they should drive your wallpaper decision.

For resale, I’d paint the vanity, change the faucet, hardware (possibly the light?) and mirror. Have you got a quote on removing the flooring, as you can easily lay peel and stick over it.

Decor wise, I’d move the towel ring next to sink paint walls to suit vanity/floors (should be the last decision) and add art. Look at lots of inspiration pictures for help and aim for a simple, classic feel to appeal to more people.

• Boxerpal
    19 days ago

If you are looking to do this for the joy of it.. Go for it.

But if you are hoping it will bring in more money when you sell you might be disappointed. It is a risk you take. Depending on the rest of your home, the market in your area and the price point you may wish to list it, This may all dictate should you renovate or not.. Talk with a realtor or two and get some ideas on what might work. Of course if you are super handy and you enjoy these updates and are willing to risk loosing a little money then go for it. Make it fabulous and you may find a buyer thrilled you redid the powder room.

• apple_pie_order
    19 days ago

Take the shark head down. Buy some extra thick towels. Clean. Done.

• amystoller
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

There appears to be a consensus among real estate agents and home stagers that for a quick sale at a good price, you want to do your best to erase your personal taste. You want to be sure to highlight, or at least not obscure, architectural detail of note. Making sure that absolutely everything that has a function functions at peak, and that everything, everything, everything, is squeaky clean and uncluttered, is essential. Also, if anything is broken, fix it!

Beyond that, your real estate agent is best placed to advise you as what colors to consider for a fresh coat of paint everywhere. The rule is "neutral"—but there's no such thing, since everyone has their own response to colors. There are, however, neighborhood and era trends. If houses with greige walls are selling in your area, go with greige. If houses with white walls are selling better than those with greige, paint your walls white.

Declutter ruthlessly. Remove family pictures. Remove articles that reflect your personal taste or sense of humor (shark). Absolutely no religious objects on display. Beyond that, again, your agent can advise you if you need to add or edit furniture to suggest the uses of each room, and so forth.

Save your wallpaper choices, etc. for your next home. They're lovely; put them where you can enjoy them.

Oh, one last thought—any time you take a picture of a bathroom, put the toilet lid down.

Good luck!

• beesneeds
    19 days ago

I have a powder room of similar kind to yours. The wainscoting was the most difficult to paint, particularly since it's behind the toilet. Don't do it.

Since you want to sell, don't inject your personality now. Save it for your next house. Use clean, neutral colors. Keep it to paint. Wallpaper can easily overwhelm the room. Take down the shark head. Put up a nice bit of art to have a complementary reflection of for staging.

If your bathroom fan has seen better days, is loud, or low suction.. replace it. It does not need to be fancy, but a nice modern one is good in a little space. Changing out the faucet is an easy upgrade from the one you have.

Unless the flooring is damaged, I wouldn't replace it. Clean the beejeebers out of it. Then get some more serious cleaning stuff and do it a couple more times. Get a grout pen if you need to in order to get the lines to look good.

I wouldn't put the money into a new vanity either. It isn't modern, but does not look damaged. If the next owner wants to remodel, they can do so.

Declutter the counter except for soap. Keep the lid closed on the toilet.

• blubird
    19 days ago

Add in a covered trash can

• eld6161
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

I agree with just painting. I would move the towel ring up and closer to the sink.