Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_637996795

Kitchen upper cabinets

Sunny C
19 days ago
last modified: 19 days ago

Hello! I’m currently laying out the cabinets for my kitchen and I’d be grateful for any constructive feedback on what I have so far ☺️ This kitchen is open to the dining and living room in one big room, so it’s always visible.

The cabinets on the range wall are 21 inch doors for reference. Also I’m not sure how far to bring up the backsplash since the window wall only has a partial cabinet. We contemplated no upper cabinets and adding some floating shelves (last photo), but we’re worried about having enough storage.

Thank you in advance!

Editing to add measurements:

Comments (19)

• herbflavor
    19 days ago

Personally I'd switch the fridge and range positions. the single sink can be centered under the left side of the window .....the space between sink and range would be expanded a bit w space for counter on right side of range. the fridge on left wall makes more sense to me and you can place a tall vertical pantry cab ......even 15 in wide , on a side of fridge....... If you inserted a vertical pantry cab like that you would not have to install hinged door cabs on the back side of your island....stick w cabs on the walls....if you think its too heavy a look you can get glass doors...maybe a bigger window would be worth it......that one looks tiny. Good Luck.

I always think much more "looks" can accompany cooking surface/ hood/ tile VS. the hulking fridge appearance. With visuals in mind due to your open setting thats another reason to put the fridge on the side wall.

Ann Arbor Kitchen & Interior Remodel · More Info

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    19 days ago

Without dimensions of everything, all walls, windows and a two dimensional plan with feet and inches??

Please house the fridge, don't leave it hanging like an appendage, and include the sides.

Make certain you have enough drawers as they hold virtually anything and are much more convenient.

Add feet and inches to all wall, window opening and more help comes your way.Renderings in pretty format are NOT informative. If your cooker is 30inches? Hood should be 36 inches.

Do you have a microwave? Where is it?

Sunny C thanked JAN MOYER
  • arcy_gw
    19 days ago

The water needs of sink/fridge/dishwasher and that cost makes having them all on one wall optimum. Open shelving was a bad idea that people have figured out and is no longer being done. Why the corner cabinet above? I might just eliminate it for balance on that wall. As far as the back splash it's only NEEDED behind your stove and sink.

• HU-910663146
    19 days ago

Shelves are pretty and very "in" right now. I hate the top heavy look of upper cabinets. That said, because of the cleaning involved and lack of practical storage space with shelves, I am still installing some upper cabinets in my upcoming remodel. Instead of two walls of upper cabinets, I am only installing one wall. I have a pantry and an island, so storage should be fine for me.

You could just have uppers on the cooking side wall and put some shelves by the window.

• jackowskib
    19 days ago

I wouldn't have any shelves in there, storage space is at a premium so cabinet placement needs to be optimal for function. I love Jan's rendition above. Backsplash would go up to bottom of cabinets and for the stove tile up to the vent hood.

• kkcaskey
    19 days ago

Keep the cabinets! Open shelving looks trendy to me and unless you never cook, I think people underestimate the amount of dust and grease that just tends to accumulate on open shelves in a kitchen. I also think it looks like people are trying to cut corners by not installing cabinets. I agree that storage is a premium and you’ll be glad to have it. Good luck!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    19 days ago

IMO no cabinet on the window wall.or as Jan suggests No open shelving unless you just love dusting and washing the stuff on those weekly. I think what you need is an actul KD independant not some salesperson.All those base cabinets should be drawers. Storage is IMO the most important need in kitchen and I like a true pullout pantry to store a lot in a small space ot at least the extra wall cabinet and all drawers.

• Colin Etheridge
    19 days ago

The big island is great for entertaining, but my first observation is that the countertop doest extend for barstools, and they butt right in to door fronts on an extra deep island. That'll be hard to use and awkward to live with.

My second observation is storage. Yes, the island is a large box to put stuff, but most people don't live out of the island- it's where the "other" appliances live, like stand mixers and deep fryers, maybe some serving ware or whatever. You also don't have a pantry closet visible nor do you have pantry storage. Where does the food go? Your kitchen is about the size of mine, and as a single 30 year old guy, I have every one of them full. Granted, I also have a set of china in one and fancy glassware, but you have 1/3rd the uppers I have. Where do the spices go? Cookie sheets? Casserole dishes? (I have maybe 3 and that's no where near what my mom and sister have as ladies that actually cook quite a bit). I personally lean towards function for kitchens, so have that in mind when designing. Where does your stuff go?

With the range vent as drawn, the backsplash there should probably go to the ceiling, then be cabinet bottom height the rest of the way around.

Agree that the fridge should be framed in. It looks awkward when cabinets just stop around refrigerators like designers don't know what to do with them.

• eld6161
    19 days ago
  • Sunny C
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Thank you everyone for your comments! I'm still reading through them but wanted to attach a photo of the measurements. I will keep the upper cabinets after reading your suggestions. I did try some of your suggestions to only have upper cabinets on the range wall, so I attached some photos of that idea.

I don't have a spot for the microwave because it will be in the laundry room (this is how I have it where I live currently and I don't mind it).

I changed the range hood here to 48 inches, but it will probably be 42 inches. They didn't have a 42 inch range hood on the website to visualize. The island will also have overhang, but I didn't know how to add it with the software.

• J Sk
    19 days ago

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    19 days ago

Jan’s version is a vast improvement- the fridge isn’t hanging out like an apartment and the window is framed.

• dani_m08
    19 days ago

I have two questions:

where will you put your food items (is there a pantry next to the microwave in the laundry room)?

why is the refrigerator just “hanging out” vs. integrated into the design?

As Colin pointed out above, it seems like you need more storage. Instead of removing the little wall cabinet on the sink wall - it makes more sense to follow Jan’s advice by adding a second cabinet on the other side of the sink.

Also, I would add at least one additional set of lower drawers + a cabinet above the refrigerator + side panels to house the refrigerator (all as shown in Jan’s edits).

• Sunny C
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Thank you everyone! I was trying to do a limited amount of upper cabinets, and didn't know how to integrate the fridge if I didn't have cabinets on that wall.

Here are some modifications after taking Jan's suggestions! Sorry if I missed anything. Also, please ignore the location of some of the cabinet handles, it's limited to the software. Thank you!

Photo of other side of island which will house more drawers!

• jackowskib
    19 days ago

The updated layout looks great! A pretty pendant light (or two sconces) at the sink will be a nice balance with the cabinets there.

• Buehl
    19 days ago

The measurements are incomplete - they just show cabinet measurements, not measurements to/from the walls/doors/doorways. E.g.,

• What's the distance b/w the trim on the window and the trim on the sliding doorway?
    • What's the distance b/w the window wall and the end of the wall the range is on?

Note that neither of these are on your measured layout.

Other questions:

• What's behind the stools?
    • What's beyond the cabinets on the range wall?
    • What's beyond the refrigerator?

Could you please post a sketch of the entire floor the Kitchen is on? That would answer quite a few questions.

More questions are included in the link Eld6161 posted above.

• J Sk
    19 days ago

Pls make sure that your aisle have enough clearance, especially between the fridge and island

• Buehl
    19 days ago

Some useful info:

Work Aisle Minimums:

• 42" for a one-person aisle (i.e., only one person ever working in the Kitchen)
    • 48" for more than one person working in the Kitchen
    • Note that aisles are measured to/from the items that stick out into them the farthest - appliance handles, counter overhangs, etc. They are not measured to/from cabinets as cabinet measurements only include the box; they do not include doors/drawer fronts, hardware, or counter overhangs (~1.5" beyond the front of the cabinet box)

Seating Clear Leg/Knee Overhang Minimums:

• Table-height (30" off the finished floor): 18"
    • Counter-height (36" off the finished floor): 15"
    • Bar-height (42" off the finished floor): 12" (However, if planning to eat or use it for more than just perching for a few minutes, the top should be at least 18" deep)

Seating Linear Space Minimums:

• Table-height (30" off the finished floor): 24" to 30" per seat
    • Counter-height (36" off the finished floor): 24" per seat
    • Bar-height (42" off the finished floor): 24" per seat

Non-Work Aisle Minimums with seating at island/peninsula:

• 44" behind seats to walk past and very little traffic passes behind -and- no appliances, etc., on the aisle/behind the seats
    • 51" if traffic behind seats (some recommend more)
    • 54" if appliances, etc., on the aisle/behind the seats
    • 60" if there's other seating (e.g., table or sofa) behind the island/peninsula

Non-Work Aisle Minimums with no seating at island/peninsula

• 36" if no appliances, etc., on the aisle & aisle is not a work aisle (basically, a walkway with no workspace, appliances, or cabinets)
    • 51" if there's seating on the other side of the aisle (e.g., table or sofa) behind the island/peninsula (but no seating in the Kitchen) (some recommend more)

Work Aisle Minimums with seating at island/peninsula in front of work aisle

• Recommended: Do NOT put seating on a work aisle
    • If you insist, 54" if no appliances on the aisle
    • If you insist, 60" if there's an appliance on the aisle, especially if there's a range/cooktop, oven, or DW on the aisle.

Note there are no appliances, workspaces, etc., behind the seats in the image above. It's a wall.

Also note in the upper left and middle right it's a "dead end" space - no traffic passes behind the person.

• AnnKH
    19 days ago

What are your plans for the three 12" base cabinets? I had one in my previous kitchen for cookie sheets and cutting boards (next to the sink), but I sure didn't need 3 of them.

Your 36" range seems very oversized for the size of the kitchen.

Your first elevations show a dining table right next to the island. Do you need island seating?

Several folks have asked what you will put where. I think the single most valuable thing you can do when designing a kitchen is to develop a storage plan, assigning a home to virtually everything in the kitchen. Place things near their point of use: cutting boards, knives, colanders near the sink; potholders, cooking utensils, spices, pots and pans near the range; dishes near the DW; storage containers near the cleanup area. Things that are not used often do NOT get prime real estate in the kitchen!