Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forhgtv

While We Are Talking About Bowls

Fun2BHere
18 days ago

Like the joke about your favorite stove top burner, I have favorite bowls for different purposes. However, the one bowl that has turned out to be an unexpected favorite is an inexpensive melamine bowl that I bought at the grocery store one year during the holidays. It is lightweight, huge and perfect for mixing lots of ingredients, tossing a big salad, holding a family-sized amount of popcorn, acting as a garbage bowl while preparing food and serving as wash bowl in my one-bowl kitchen sink. I’ve certainly gotten my $2 worth of use out of it.

Do you have a bowl or other item that turned out to be an unexpected most-used item in your household?

Comments (18)

• Jilly
    18 days ago

I do!

A few years ago, DH had to pick something up in Wal-Mart (I can’t remember what). I hadn’t been in one in years.

I browsed around while waiting and came across these nice, heavy, pottery-style Better Homes & Gardens bowls. They were very inexpensive.

We needed pasta, salad, soup, etc bowls so I bought two to try. Loved them, went back for more …. all gone.

I use these daily! I’m so mad at myself for not getting a set of four or six.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    18 days ago

I have a giant stainless steel bowl from my in-laws which they used for icing veggies after blanching...they froze acres of veggies from their garden. It is amazing for mixing breads and all kinds of casseroles before consolidating into a casserole dish....lots of room for thorough mixing of disparate ingredients.

• Sueb20
    18 days ago

I have a set of little bowls (like prob 3/4 c size) that are adorable and vintage and match my kitchen cabinet color exactly. I use them for so many things, and they are great for portion control. Ice cream, nuts, etc. Good for prep bowls, too.

In the non-bowl category, I use my big Tervis cup all day, every day. I just fill and refill it with water from mid morning (after coffee) til I go to bed.

• lisaam
    18 days ago

My favorite bowls for soup or to offer nuts & snacks. unfortunately 3 from the original set of 4 now are glued back together and suitable for only select use, Sadly, the potter is no longer local. Love the hemisphere shape, color, matte glaze.

• petalique
    18 days ago

Jilly, better give me those bowls.

Sueb20, better hide that from Amylou.

• Jennifer Hogan
    18 days ago

I have a ridiculous amount of dishes, but find that I use my rice bowls for everything. Perfect size for an apple cut into slices or some grapes to take back to my desk, perfect at dinner for a side of this that or the other, perfect for a bit of ice cream when I don't want to eat too much for desert.

You did cause me to go out and look for a picture to share, found some for sale on e-bay and just had to buy another set of 4 since a few of mine have gotten chipped over the years.

• Lars
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

I have a plastic bowl that came with a stick blender (that I no longer have), and it is my favorite bowl - I use it all the time for various purposes. It looks a bit like these bowls, but the handle is level with the top of the bowl, and it has straighter sides. The type of handle it has makes it very easy to carry, and so I often put chips in it, but I also use it as it was originally intended - as a mixing bowl for a stick blender. I wish I had more of this bowl.

I've collected a lot of inexpensive bowls at Japanese shops, from rice bowls to sushi bowls, and I have a lot of bowls that are relatively small in size - some for mise en place, and some that I use for ice cream.

• arcy_gw
    17 days ago

I have a favorite bowl for each purpose at hand---as I am sure most do. I have a favorite mixing bowl set--nesting, have a handle and a lip for pouring as well as a rubber ring on bottom so they don't slip around. DH has made a myriad of wooden bowls I love to use for snacks of all sorts, I love my glass tulip bowls for spring candies...as well as the sorts mentioned above.

• Jennifer Hogan
    17 days ago

What fills your dishwasher? For me it is bowls. I will have 8 bowls and 2 plates and one cup.

My sister has the the top filled with mugs and just a few plates.

• maire_cate
    17 days ago

Sad to say I broke my favorite bowl yesterday. I was putting it in the cupboard, my grip failed and it crashed to the floor. It was a Corning Ware Grab It bowl and we used it for cereal, ice cream, nuts, soups - especially French onion, leftovers etc. the grand kids thought it was their personal bowl. Now I'm down to one so I'll have to look on Ebay for a replacement or two. I'm also going to order the thumb/wrist brace that the orthopedic surgeon recommended before I drop the remaining one.

• Sueb20
    17 days ago

Maire, etsy has lots of them!

My DW fills up with mugs before anything else. I tend to use at least two per day. Not DH, though. He uses the same mug every morning, immediately hand washes it, and uses it again if he has tea or more coffee later. And he does the same with his metal Yeti tumbler. He is a creature of habit.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    17 days ago

Marie Cate, if you live anywhere near a Corning outlet store they still have grab-its. I believe you can order online as well. I do have decent luck find corningware pieces at thrift stores as well.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    17 days ago

maire_cate , Be sure if your order new, that they are smooth on the bottom. That is the orginal Corning. I like the small French White casseroles. The old are the Corning glass and are smooth on the bottom. The new are stoneware and are rough on the bottom.

I actually have a grab-it you could have. I have two and one lid. I seem to remember I broke one lid years ago. I use the one with a lid for heating water in the microwave for making sweet tea.

• Fun2BHere
    Original Author
    17 days ago

@Jennifer Hogan, My bottom dishwasher rack fills up with bowls and there’s nothing on the top rack, so I end up washing a half-full dishwasher.

• maire_cate
    17 days ago

Thanks Sue, RN and Sherry. When I return home I'll check etsy. The CorningWare outlet near us closed so I'll look online to see where others are. Sherry I have several French White pieces - from individual portion size to larger casseroles that I still use regularly. Oh and the 20 ounce mugs too. I could use that instead of the Grab it. My supermarket even sells the CorningWare French White mug in their housewares section.

Thanks again, Maire

• OutsidePlaying
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Maire_cate, how funny. If i had been home i would have posted a photo of the same bowl! Actually i still have 3 plus one that has a chip out of it I’ll use occasionally for popcorn, etc since the chip is under the rolled top edge and you can hardly see it. I reach for those bowls for warming soup in the microwave because of the handle. Yes, i have some prettier pottery bowls, but seem to always reach for these white ones.

Jennifer Hogan, my dishwasher load varies with my cooking….sometimes the bottom is full of plates and there is barely anything in the top, and other times it’s all bowls and a couple of saucers. Plus the silverware that seems to multiply when i close the door.

• bpath
    17 days ago

Mairecaite, I have that bowl, too! It’s perfect for the two of us, for cooking something small or for leftovers. The lid broke, too, which is to bad because it was also handy.

We have the ”colored” bowls, and the blue (we also have a yellow in the same small size) perfect for egg salad and tuna salad. The big yellow is the right size for microwave popcorn!

• Specific ibex
    17 days ago

I have a white shallow bowl made of thick plastic - pretty much cutting board material that I got at Crate and Barrel a long long time ago. It’s lightweight and perfect for collecting compost scraps, or ingredients when I am prepping mirepoix or veggies for later stages of a recipe. I really wish I could find a few more. No label on it. Rarely use plastic bowls but for some reason this thing has been handy for 15, maybe even 20 years now.