Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eltk_rose

Stair runner dilemma

Elysia Rose
17 days ago
last modified: 17 days ago

hoping to get some thoughts on this! just had a runner installed and its a little tricky with the way the stairs are designed. they are narrow at top (4 steps) and then widen the majority (6 steps). just wondering if its just an illusion with the design of the stairs or if maybe the runner should have been centered from the top rather than the bottom. does this look weird and should it be re done? thanks!

Comments (15)

• Lyn Nielson
    17 days ago

it is centered... the wall just cuts in to the illusion.

I think you are the only one bothered by it. I would be thankful visual problem is on the inside.

Really, it looks great!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

It looks weird, but not weird enough to have it redone. To correct it would mean rebuilding the stairs. To make it look maybe a little better, install a handrail on the wall on the right.

• ptreckel
    17 days ago

Until you pointed it out, I thought it looks fine because the distance of the runner from the right wall is uniform. Don’t sweat it. It looks great. You won’t notice it after you get used to it. And, no one will notice it until you point it out. So…don’t! 😉

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    17 days ago

This is the correct way. The foreground is centered.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    17 days ago

I disagree--it looks awkward. The runner is usually centered on the top stairs and then there is more room at the bottom on the left where you have the wider steps.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    17 days ago

IMO it is right there would be no advantage to doing it the other way. I agree I had to look twice to see the issue.

• worthyvess
    17 days ago

I didn’t notice until you pointed it out. I think it looks fabulous.
    There are always compromises. My husband pointed one out to me where two moldings met in a corner and had to be cut to fit. Years ago. Never noticed it until he pointed it out.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    17 days ago

You could Install a handrail on the right wall. Run the left side handrail from the newel post to the wall, and eliminate the handrail and spindles from that point on, but somehow block anything from falling off the stair to the left where the spindles are eliminate (which I can not clearly see).

Elysia Rose thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • David Cary
    15 days ago

Funny - I thought it looked awkward right away. The stairs bug me also though - the runner just makes it more noticeable.

But I also don't think you should redo anything. As someone said, it would really require redoing the entire stairs to "correct" the issue - but it really isn't a big deal - even if I noticed it right away.

• Lorraine Leroux
    15 days ago

I personally would have done a wider runner filling the upper staircase with rug and having edges on the bottom BUT I have seen it done this way as well. It would not be my personal choice.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    15 days ago

Perhaps moving the carpet over so 'A' equalled 'B' at the bottom newel post, it would look better?

Elysia Rose thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • PRO
  • Elysia Rose
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Hi Mark - Thank you so much for taking the time to review and provide your comments! You’ve given me some great ideas. I agree - maybe if we are able to shift it over a bit it wouldn’t bother me as much.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    15 days ago

Or sell and rebuild.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    15 days ago

Ok, funny enough, I agree with centering on top or bottom (or re-doing staircase). You made me look at my own stairs - they are very similar to yours. I need to do something like a runner, too, and you’ve given me something to consider. 👍🏻