Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Lampshade for round lamp

oldbat2be
16 days ago

Hi! I have purchased a fun lamp and would appreciate help with selecting a lampshade as well as sourcing the lampshade. I'm north of Boston and glad to visit any local stores but would also appreciate online sources for the right custom shade. I can photoshop the lamp with the custom shade dimensions reasonably accurately so am ok buying without trying the shade on.

The lamp base dimensions are 11" wide x 15" tall. I'm assuming round?

Thanks! --oldbat

Shown here is a10"/15"/9" (top, bottom, slant)

Comments (15)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

"I can photoshop the lamp with the custom shade dimensions reasonably accurately so am ok buying without trying the shade on.

How about no?

"Buying a lampshade without your lamp, is like buying a hat without your HEAD"

That sign is on the door at a local lighting store, and it is 100% correct..

Get your google, look at dedicated lamp shops in your area. Take the lamp with you. Harps, finials, risers, shapes and the look and material you want. I'd go here, first:

Blanche Field:

Boston:
    22 Elkins St.
    Second Floor
    Boston, MA 02127
    Phone: 617.423.0715
    Fax: 617.330.6876

( I will further warn you, that unless you dearly love the lamp? You may find the price of the perfect shade far exceeds the value of that lamp, and buying a custom shade online? The shipping is often equal to the shade price. These are not the days of old........................trust me on this)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    16 days ago

^^^^ I had someone give me two free lamps which I then required and spent $40/ shade on. Not so free.

For that lamp maybe a coolie shape but you will only know in person.

• Olychick
    16 days ago

I would try something like this...drummish shade

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    16 days ago

100% Jans advice , not ever a good plan any other way.I would not use the shade you show for sure.

• Boxerpal
    16 days ago

That is a great find! So unique. I wonder if you could take it with you to a light and lamp store to find the right shade.

Or buy a bunch and return the rest. Measure it and see which could work.

Fangio Lighting's 23.5" Resin Table Lamp, Silver Finish · More Info

Simple Designs Round Concrete Table Lamp, White · More Info

19.5" Paper Lantern Fold Resin Table Lamp, Silver Foil · More Info

Master Bedroom · More Info

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thanks all.

Boxerpal, I like the ones you show without seams, cleaner look.

Off to Blanche Field hopefully some day this week. (Thanks Jan)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    16 days ago

I love drum shades on lots of different style lamp bases.

The problem in my area with lamp stores is that the inventory is terrible. We used to have a lamp shade store in the next town over, and I loved going there. No more. The large lighting store in our town just closed. And there are not many left. The ones that are still in existence have very few shades--they just want to sell the lamps.

I've purchased several shades in the past year online. It's very difficult but doable if you don't have a good lamp shade store.

oldbat2be thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Sueb20
    16 days ago

There’s also this store; depending on where you live, might be more convenient than downtown.

https://www.lampandshadegallery.com

oldbat2be thanked Sueb20
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    16 days ago

You will save yourself, if you simply do the lamp store suggested. Otherwise? You are better off at Target, and or get over the lamp : ) and donate for another to make a project of it. No, I'm not kidding. A new shade is anything but cheap unless from the cheapie stores! The buy and return will wear you out.

• Hope Stewart
    16 days ago

I second going in person and "trying on" different shades. But, if you don't find something you love and are very clear about the dimensions/shape you could then look online. I have a lamp that needs a more exciting shade and I've been looking at Pooky Lighting (US). They have some lovely and unique options and some of the pricing isn't as astronomically high as other places I've seen (in person and online).

oldbat2be thanked Hope Stewart
  • Jilly
    16 days ago

I like what Boxerpal suggested, too, if they fit the style of the room it’ll be going in.

I’ve ordered several shades from Lamps Plus over the years and have been very pleased with them.

Edited to add that Lamps Plus has a mock-up feature.

oldbat2be thanked Jilly
  • ptreckel
    16 days ago

Shop your house first and borrow harps and shades from other lamps in your home. That way if you find a shape you like or size, you have a starting point for measurements, shape. There are no shade shops near me anymore. So I have to order online. I like the lamp! Worth the hunt! And consider an interesting finial, too

oldbat2be thanked ptreckel
  • nicole___
    16 days ago
    oldbat2be thanked nicole___
  • Judi
    16 days ago