Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romacharpentier

Extra dining chairs - match or contrast?

bondia
16 days ago
last modified: 16 days ago

Hello, my kitchen/dining table has six white chairs around a table with walnut legs. There is always a tablecloth on the table so the tabletop is not relevant. On rare occasion, we add a leaf and need four more chairs in order to seat ten people. I am about to purchase four inexpensive extra chairs to be used only on these rare occasions, and can't decide if it's better to have them white to match the existing (which seems like a lot of white), or walnut for some contrast and to match the table legs. I think I'd prefer the walnut but am wondering if the ratio (6 white and 4 walnut) would be odd looking.

My kitchen/TV room · More Info

My budget does not allow for "nicer" chairs at the head and foot of the table (or the time to wait/hunt for nicer used chairs.) Thank you for any help/advice/opinions.

Oops, just realized I forgot to center the flowers on the table, there's always one thing I forget!

Comments (22)

• bondia
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thank you, I appreciate the input. We have plenty of room for storing four extra chairs and for whatever reason, I hate folding chairs which is what we have been using for many years. The tablecloth covers the maple table top which relates to nothing else in the room and sticks out like a sore thumb. We will refinish it in walnut eventually but for now I am enjoying using tablecloths.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    16 days ago

IMO get 4 stacking chairs for those times in white , done. I too really think the tablecoth makes the space look tacky A nice centerpiece on the table much nicer and all the woods do not have to match.

bondia thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • bondia
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thank you, Patricia Colwell Consulting, I always value your expertise.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    16 days ago

Home depot has so really simple ones and the bounus is you can use them outside too. Tried to post the pic but not happening Even Ikea has some I actually have Ikea stackables I have had for 18 yrs they stand up awesome and were very affordable I use outside all the time and inside when I need a few extrs

bondia thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • bondia
    Original Author
    16 days ago

I will check out Home Depot and Ikea.

• shirlpp
    16 days ago

White chairs and I agree that the tablecloth looks like it's seen better days.

A green runner or green placemats might look nice.

bondia thanked shirlpp
  • bondia
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Re the tablecloth - it looks slightly better IRL, I took the photos standing on a step stool so the angle highlights the negatives. And remember, this is just a house people live in, it's not a professionally styled photo shoot :) But given the general consensus, I'm posting a photo of the actual table top which relates to nothing in the room except the ancient Ikea chairs facing the TV which will hopefully soon be replaced. (Check the photos above to see what else is in the room.) The maple just looks so tired and 1990s to me and it is quite scratched and marred. Do you really think the tabletop is better than the tablecloth? Or should I just get a better tablecloth (until the top can be refinished)? I appreciate all the input so far and welcome more.

• ptreckel
    15 days ago

Bondia I like your naked table top! Rather than a cloth, use some brightly colored circular mats and let the wood show! You know, we all really DO live in our homes. They are not stage sets for photo shoots. I am NOT a pro but I love design. At the same time, I live a real life. In a house with lots of flaws. Which I love, by the way. With a puppy who chews rugs and woodwork, and a constant whirl of activity that means I am rarely photo worthy. Don’t sweat it. We get it. 4 chairs. White, if possible. And let that natural table top shine! ❤️

bondia thanked ptreckel
  • bondia
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thank you, ptreckel!

• KW PNW Z8
    15 days ago

Or, just put a pretty runner on the table with your flowers. Find one that’s close in color to your counter chairs - the teal / turquoise color. Something with texture. No one will look at the table top. But I also agree with @Patricia Colwell Consulting that all the woods don’t have to match.

bondia thanked KW PNW Z8
  • Paul F.
    15 days ago

I think it looks bad either way. Maybe some type of felt pad or wood look contact paper until you can replace the table. It's really bringing down the room.

bondia thanked Paul F.
  • D K
    15 days ago

Thank you, KW. And Paul, very interesting idea, thank you.

• arcy_gw
    15 days ago

It's a home people live in not a photo shoot...so the four chairs you pull up for extra really do not even have to match each other! It's a very casual dining area as is--I would not stress over the four chairs matching anything. A card table and chairs set is an item that always comes in handy and would be useful in this situation. There is A LOT of WHITE in that room. I think a table cloth would be lovely. It brings color to your space which all the white really needs. I prefer the lighter wood to the dark accents you have around but tomatoe tomato as they say.

bondia thanked arcy_gw
  • Maureen
    15 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Suggest white and it will be easier to find more options. I noticed your comment about not wanting to hunt for second hand, but it really wouldn’t take a lot more time to find suitable chairs than buying new. I found these in 2 minutes and consider cost when really only using occasionally.

Regarding the table, we have had a farmhouse table for the past 20 years (once used in the kitchen/now in dining room) and it has taken a beating. I don’t want to hide the warmth of the wood, so have a runner on full time that distracts from its imperfections. I add complementary placemats when dining, which is more interesting/modern than a table cloth. Hope this helps.

https://patchcreek.com/products/river-runner-stripe-table-runner-13x54?variant=43446971695332

bondia thanked Maureen
  • RedRyder
    15 days ago

Placemats are an option, a nicer tablecloth is an option and NOTHING is an option (put a vase with flowers on top for distraction). People live here, eat here and furniture doesn’t need to be perfect. It might be easiest to sand down the table top and put a coat of polyurethane on it. Then enjoy it!

Our wood farmhouse table survived 20 years of daily use because it has a fabulous poly finish. I love the look of wood so I would aim to get the top in slightly better shape, then finish it and forget it.

About the chairs: what @Maureen said.

bondia thanked RedRyder
  • BarbieCalgary
    15 days ago

Red Ryder, did that to my ‘80s light topped table too! Sanded down, applied mahogany stain and distressed it a bit then added sealer. Still going strong! Has become a bit of an ‘antique’.

bondia thanked BarbieCalgary
  • K Laurence
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Agree with chispa, that’s what we do. We have folding padded (seats) chairs for that purpose. i felt there was already enough chairs in our dining room .

bondia thanked K Laurence
  • bondia
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Thank you to all who have commented, most recently arcy_gw, Maureen, RedRyder, BarbieCalgary, and K Laurence. Very helpful suggestions. Maureen, I love the photos and will look into some kind of runner/placemat combo to distract the eye. I have looked on Marketplace and Craigslist for used chairs but nothing remotely suitable comes up, possibly because I am in a smaller metropolitan area so less options? I am starting to think maybe my husband and I can take on the task of refinishing the tabletop. A few people have suggested folding chairs and they are certainly less expensive and easier to store, but they often sit lower than regular chairs and are seldom comfortable which is important as most of our guests are older. Thank you all again!

• RedRyder
    14 days ago

Keep us posted on the chairs and if you choose to redo the table top.

bondia thanked RedRyder
  • HU-402831377
    13 days ago

I would do a nicer tablecloth and walnut chairs. Have you considered colored chairs to match your bar stools? I think the mix of chairs will look nice since they will be a different style.

bondia thanked HU-402831377
  • bondia
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I will, RedRyder, thanks. HU-402831377, yes, I do like the idea of colored chairs.