Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agroark

Separate shower head and hand-held shower controls

agroark
17 days ago

I'm designing a shower for my elderly mother. I'm thinking a shower head at the front of the shower and a hand-held by the shower chair in the back of the shower. I think they should control separately so that there is an on/off volume control by each one. Am I thinking about this correctly? What would I ask for/google to find a system that is compatible with this approach?

Thank you!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    17 days ago

Not necessary unless the shower is extremely long . The diverter takes care of that issue, with no need for the extra plumbing, and most are quite a long reach.

Do a clip to the wall vs. a slide bar.

agroark thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    17 days ago

Firstly I’d say go to a real plumbing showroom (not big box) and they can build you any system you want at almost every price point. I prefer the California Faucet diverter valve that has a preset temperature knob (once you set it to 103° for instance you never touch it again) and then two smaller knobs to control the handheld and shower head. This set up also allows you to control pressure.

agroark thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    17 days ago

What Hallett said. : ) Yes to that as well.

• agroark
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Thank you!!! Yes, this is exactly what I have in mind. A temp knob to set and generally forget and then two smaller knobs to control the handheld and shower head. The shower is about 5' long so I do want the knob and handheld positioned by the bench so that is perfect. Is there a name for this "system"? I was hoping to do some online research before going to a plumbing showroom. But I know that some shower heads are not compatible with this type of "valve" ?

• chispa
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

If you are in CA, code won't allow 2 independently controlled fixtures and you will have to use a diverter. Most of the other states you should be ok, but check local codes before you get too far into the process.

I have the exact setup with 2 independently controlled fixtures. I also prefer to be able to control the volume of water, so I dislike shower fixtures that are only on/off.

For me, a handheld showerhead on a clip is pretty useless. I use a long shower bar (from Jaclo) that also functions as a grab bar. The handheld is also on a swivel mount and can be adjusted in all directions.

This is not a budget setup, but I think it is worth the cost for something that is used daily and should last 20+ years. Visit a good local plumbing showroom that will carry these products and other options.

Here is the setup in my guest bathroom. Thermostatic valve and volume control lever for each fixture.

There is a teak bench on the left side.

Close up of the ball joint of the Jaclo handheld holder and shower/grab bar. You won't see any other brands that offer this flexibility. Most holders sit too close to the wall and barely allow you to adjust the angle of the handheld. I also used a 48" bar and 60" hose for maximum flexibility.

agroark thanked chispa
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    17 days ago

Get off the computer and to a dedicated plumbing supply store. A Fergusons at least.

There are enough ways to put this together as bread selections in a grocery store.

As/or more important than the shower valves? SHOW your bath plan in a 2 dimension format, every inch including all fixtures, plumbing locale etc.

• agroark
    Original Author
    17 days ago

@chispa, that is exactly what I was looking for.

@JAN MOYER Yes, I will be going to a plumbing supply store. I just like to be a little educated before I go and since they're not open on Sundays, what better time to do a little research and educate myself.

Thanks all!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

LOL Most are not even open past two pm on Saturday!! At any of them ? Your best bet is by appointment. I am not kidding. Don't get stuck hanging around a lot of shiny treasure while they sit with the folks who made an appointment: )

• chispa
    17 days ago

Also make sure to have blocking installed when the walls are opened up. All my showers have blocking all the way around, placed 36" off the ground, for future grab bars. I really need to install some in that guest bathroom shower, as it is the one my parents use.

agroark thanked chispa
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    17 days ago

The "future" grab bars are in this case, THE NOW grab bars..

• agroark
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Yes, grab bars are a for sure for my mom. Thank you so much for the tips!!

• chispa
    16 days ago

This is what I used in all the showers in the new build:

Valves, handles, trim: Brizo

Wall shower head: Speakman Icon

Shower bar and swivel holder: Jaclo

Shower door handle: Kartners

Shower door hinges: CR Laurence

Shower linear drains: Infinity

Things learned from remodeling/building 11 bathrooms over the last 14 years and many hours spent at mid/high end plumbing showrooms! Hope it helps you to get started!

agroark thanked chispa
  • agroark
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thanks so much @chispa!!

• dani_m08
    16 days ago

I have the same set up that Chispa does - with two mixing valves (thermostatic - water temperature is not affected by use of water in other areas of house = remains at constant set temperature) in my master bathroom shower. One mixing valve controls a single shower head - the second valve has a diverter that controls a rain shower head + a handheld shower head.

My hand held shower head is on a clip on the wall - I think that Chispa’s combination holder + grab bar is a great idea - if I would have known about that specific one, I would have used it instead (all the bars I saw did not allow for good function = too close to the wall).

There are SO MANY choices that it can become overwhelming if you don’t have a designer narrowing seections down for you. According to plumbers, Delta/Brizio valves are the best (easiest to install/repair/warranty/last for a long time). The rough-in valve in the wall is the same - the ”pretty” mixing valve on the tile can be changed out without going into the wall. I used Delta for two bathrooms and Brizio for the master bathroom. The rough-in valves inside the wall are pretty cheap - the actual mixing valves placed on the tile is where the $$ is spent.

There are other good brands - such as Hansgrohe/Grohe/Koehler/etc. I would definitely stay away from the any of the knock off ones offered on Amazon. I wouldn’t trust putting something from a unknown company inside a wall (even if you have access through drywall on the other side). Water and fire are the two most damaging things for a home - and water damage occurs much more frequently.

agroark thanked dani_m08
Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022