Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kendrashakes1

Help with layout in narrow room

kendrashakes1
15 days ago
last modified: 15 days ago

We've lived in this house for a year and I've done absolutely nothing with this room besides throw random leftover furniture in it. It is the first room that you enter into and would love for it to have great conversational seating where my family can hang out and feel inviting to our guests. The problem i continue to run into is that the half wall with the piano feels like it essentially splits the room in half where half of the room is a hallway to the kitchen and half is an extremely narrow room. I feel like I can't place furniture in the "hallway" half, leaving only 8' in the "room" half which doesn't lend itself to a very conversational layout. But maybe it's not completely off limits to place some furniture in the other half? The piano also has to stay as this is the only room in the house where it fits. I'm planning on buying new couches, chairs, rug, etc. as soon as I can figure out a comfortable, conversational layout for 6+ people. As a side note we do particularly love the cozy feel of sectionals but understand there might not be any way to make one work in this room. I would love to hear any and all suggestions!
*Sorry for the messy state of the house and poor pictures, it's the end of a long day.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

I need a plan showing where exactly this space is in the main floor of the house . Maybe the piano can be moved to another space . Do you have a family room for tV ? Then show that too I do not find the room narrow but the piano is driving the furniture arrangement .Right now it looks like the kids have taken over the space so decide what is kid space and what is a nice adult space if you have a FR that IMO is the family space and this will become a nice spot for adults to enjoy.

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    12 days ago

May we have a picture of the wall with the laundry basket and dresser are located? Is the opening to the stairs 2:? Do you want to keep the play table in the room or can it go somewhere else? That will make a big difference. Sadly the piano does take up vital space but it is understanding if it can not fit elsewhere. We will try to draw up a 3D rendition from what you have given us so far. A sectional will not work in this room. Sorry. Best wishes,

• elcieg
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Move the piano to the laundry basket wall. The best thing about your room is the bay. Make the most of it. Two chairs, window treatments, new sofa, coffee table. (I like the bench with a tray, remove the tray and you have more seating or use it for the piano bench).

How is the budget? Love to see a new color on the wall and (important) new carpet. Hate the fan. Just me, but if a fan is needed, replace it with a "fandelier".

Blue Haze 1667

• kendrashakes1
    Original Author
    12 days ago

I do find it humorous that the only person who was able to give helpful advice is also the only person who isn't a "pro" and was also the kindest. I appreciate their suggestions and will be moving forward with their advice. Next time just don't comment. Thanks.

• la_la Girl
    12 days ago

with the piano on the laundry basket wall, I wonder about an armchair perpendicular to the couch (with its back facing the former piano wall)? - it would make the room nice for conversation

maybe also an ottoman coffee table (great for kids) —that way both the armchair and sofa sitters could use it - there’s great furniture on Facebook marketplace if you’re patient

• Susan Davis
    12 days ago

This sounds severe, but make the piano wall a 3 foor pony wall between the two rooms and have lower cabinets on the kitchen side with an overhang to make an eating bar. Saw the same dilemma on No Demo Reno during first season. Single mom who was a baker. It was amazing.

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    12 days ago

The four chairs are swivel chairs. They can be found at World Market Cost Plus. https://www.worldmarket.com/p/megan-upholstered-swivel-chair-105276.html

Best Wishes.

• apple_pie_order
    12 days ago

This looks like a good room for the family to hang out while meals are being prepared.

You mentioned a sectional. There's room for one if you put the piano on the laundry basket wall. The sectional would go where the sofa and piano currently are.

Skinny side tables (with drawers) may fit, too.

For easy access to power for chargers, lamps, and so on, buy power strips for each outlet behind the sectional, and run the cords under the sectional to the skinny side tables. They make power strips whose plugs fit flat against the wall, not sticking out as most do.

Swagged lamps would give you some versatile lighting, along with a piano lamp (specialized shape, available online). A piano bench with storage for printed music is useful.

Advent 14" Antique Brass Piano/Desk · More Info

• Denise Marchand
    11 days ago

I realize it's not optimal to put a piano by the window because of weather fluctuations, etc, but with lined full window curtains panels (full height) and placing the piano on an angle, it would free up the much needed corner for seating.

I also see you have a place for kids - so sweet. Place a wall unit with a small table perpendicular to the long wall. It can be cubbies for the kids stuff in baskets and a pinboard at the table to hang their art. It will give them room and not be the main focus.

This way when you look into the room from the kitchen, it will look "grown up" haha we have all been there.

I love the idea to make the wall between the kitchen and living room lower. It would have to be hight enough to hide all the kitchen goings-on, but would make a huge difference for light and space.

The seating in the corner is full size and note the long console table behind (on the existing piano wall) It can be just a 12" deep counter mounted on the wall and not an actual table. Perfect for lamps near the sofa, large art above the shelf and holds stuff.

• Denise Marchand
    11 days ago

To continue with the floor plan posted, here are some ideas for the Kids Space:

Painting their area the same color as the walls will give the room a more sophisticated and pulled together space.

This is a great blog using IKEA bookcases to look like fine custom cabinetry with step-by-step instructions https://abeautifulmess.com/built-in-ikea-billy-bookcase-hack/

^ ^ ^ ^ Brilliant IKEA bookcase idea (see blog)

V V V V Desk/Table for kids' area - desk perpendicular to wall ^ ^ ^ ^ Obviously the desk/table shouldn't bee this long - 30" would be long enough.

V V V V Pottery Barn Wall Unit

V V V V This is so cute from Walmart for kids