Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggie_seitz

HELP - Awkward & Small bathroom

Maggie Seitz
12 days ago

We would love to sell our home in a few months but our kitchen & bathrooms are dated. How would you best update this bathroom? It can be difficult to find corner vanities so do I paint the vanity and try to find a new sink and new top?! SEND HELP!

Comments (10)

• apple_pie_order
    12 days ago

Nice small powder room, it looks spotless and well kept.

If you can take a couple more photos without panorama mode, it would be easier to figure out the shape of the vanity and mirrors.

Also, do you think a simple wall mounted toilet paper holder would fit near the front end of the toilet?

Have you talked to an agent already about what is worth doing in your market?

• KW PNW Z8
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Is that really a pink top? If you really are listing for sale in a few months I would just clean & clear anything & everything that might need it & make certain your yard is also clean, clear & inviting. List price accordingly as you won’t guarantee a recoup of $$ spent updating for sale. For the short term & a quick & cheap cosmetic update in this powder room - I assume powder room as that’s what you’re showing us - take the useless towel bar off the toilet wall & hang pretty & large art that has a bit of the sinktop color in it. Get rid of standing TP holder & wall mount one that matches the sink faucet. Change out the cab hardware to updated & same color as faucet, towel ring & light. With all those inexpensive changes, there’s something to draw the eye besides the pink sink.

ETA - just read @shirlpp comment - right! I didn’t see the tub to right but do now. I guess that’s why the floor stand for TP. Maybe TP holder can be mounted on side of cabinet?

• shirlpp
    12 days ago

It looks like there's a tub right next to the toilet - so a full bath?

• Kendrah
    12 days ago

24" Triadsville Taupe Corner Bathroom Vanity · More Info

1. Have an extra $1k to spend? Hire someone to take out the current vanity, put in a $700 one like this and paint the mirror.

2. Get an expoy paint for the basin, and another kind of paint formulated for countertops. Paint them both. Do it soon so the horrific fumes can air out and you can see what it looks like.

If either of these sound like too much money or labor for you, then list your house for slightly less, or be willing to have your house sit a bit longer. (This depends hugely on where you live. Where I live it is expected that you'll rip out a bathroom and start over so the pink sink wouldn't matter.)

• eld6161
    12 days ago

What is the sink and counter? I would look into seeing if the counter and sink can be painted white.

• apple_pie_order
    12 days ago

@shirllpp , you have sharp eyes to spot the edge of the tub!

• kandrewspa
    12 days ago

If the kitchen and all the baths are along these lines there is no reason to change anything. You aren't going to be able to significantly change buyers' impressions. You just need to price your home accordingly. While not everyone is going to want to undertake a complete remodel, some will and a few minor cosmetic changes aren't going to change your buyer pool. In a lot of locations inventory is very low. Despite the current higher interest rates this can create a market in favor of sellers. If you haven't already, familiarize yourself with your local market. I haven't always found agents terribly helpful in setting prices. Don't let anyone talk you into setting too high a price which will just cause your house to languish on the market. If you're a little low, competition will drive the price up.

• elcieg
    12 days ago

Paint the vanity the pink of the counter, using a semi-gloss finish. The walls are white, so add a chair rail around the room and wallpaper above it.

Mirror is very big for the space, but replacing it might run you into money. Take it down and remove the crown molding so it just the frames around mirror are left. Paint it the pink of the vanity...same finish.

• bpath
    12 days ago

If you were to change out the vanity, how hard/$$ would it be to put in a normal, narrow vanity or pedestal sink? Even if it is narrow, I’d rather not stand kitty-corner to the toilet while brushing my teeth; back up wrong and you hit the commode?

• Kendrah
    12 days ago

I haven't always found agents terribly helpful in setting prices. Don't let anyone talk you into setting too high a price which will just cause your house to languish on the market. If you're a little low, competition will drive the price up.

Yes to this a thousand times!