Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_882448290

Help with a new home office Design Ideas!

Ope
12 days ago

I and trying to re-design my home office to look more modern. I need Ideas please. I will be taking out the 2 black tables. I will also be taking out the grey table. The white table stays. I want the office to be able to accommodate me, spouse and child’s desks. If there is extra room, we can have a mini resting spot to watch tv or just take a little break. My spuse has not bought his desk yet so we can work with any size. We might also need a place to keep some office stationary and supplies.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Narrow your wish list , please,

Keyboard, kiddie desk, tv, a place to sit and watch tv, supply storage, two work from home adults......etc. too much. What goes?

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    12 days ago

I agree with Jan - accommodating your work space, your spouse's work space plus children seems like too much in this space. Would suggest that you create a space for yourself and your spouse at opposite ends of the room to give each as much privacy as possible. Would suggest that any shared office supplies be placed between you both in a freestanding storage cabinet. Will you want any overhead cabinets as well?

• apple_pie_order
    12 days ago

Is this going to be a full time 9-5, 5 days a week office for two adults? Or occasional use, say 2-3 hours a few times a week?

• apple_pie_order
    12 days ago

Is the piano part of your work? Or will it get moved out?

• Ope
    Original Author
    12 days ago

9-5 for 1, casual for the other. I did not even think of the piano. Yea, Piano stays. My son uses it for his lessons.

• Ope
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Jan Moyer, I can do without a place to sit. I basically just want the space rearranged in an organized and functional way. To accommodate everyone’s serious time.

• Ope
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Note, only one person stays in there all the time. The others casually use it when there is need to do something serious like classes for the child.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago

There's no need for the kiddie desk. Chairs are adjustable height.: )

A media console can accommodate a printer and other office junk.

• apple_pie_order
    12 days ago

The highest priority is the person who works 9-5. That work area comes first. Put your white desk under the window so you can look at the view. Keep the white table and computer monitors (yours, I assume) where they area. Put a new white storage unit in the corner where the black table currently is.

If possible, order an identical white desk for your husband( matching desks look organized and intentional). If it doesn't fit him, choose another white one. It goes next to yours under the window.

A white child's desk can go on the wall along the bottom of your floor plan or it can trade spaces with the piano. It'll be easy to try out those two options.

You wanted "more modern". The aspects that will make it look more modern are a unified color scheme (white furniture) and carefully chosen large framed art. Take down the tacked up posters and map. If you can get your map framed nicely, it would be fine to re-install. If you have a bulletin board or white board, you can install those in convenient locations. Bulletin boards have a tendency to harbor out of date things, so purge it once a month.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    11 days ago

The 9-5 worker needs a functional space to get serious work done. Needs space for all equipment and materials and storage plus ability to shut the door for phone calls and to silence disruptive household noises. Someone who is earning significant income to support the household must have a functional space.

Kids desk should go into kids room so kids can learn to do schoolwork independently and in a quiet space. Schedule review time if kid needs help or if you like to look over homework.

• Ope
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thanks all for these Ideas. I can’t wait to start rearranging.

• nelliebean
    11 days ago

I think the room could be divided up in to work space and family space. The area where you currently have the full time work desk could be sectioned off with a curtain that could be closed off at the end of the day. Turn your desk to face into the room and cover the back wall with your whiteboard etc. You could then place a loveseat or small sofa backing onto the desk back/curtain with two smaller chairs across and a storage ottoman inbetween. A long console table or two narrow tables could go along the wall where the map is currently and set up as desk space. The piano could go on the wall to the left of the door. You coul hang a tv on the map wall or the tv wall.

• Patty C
    11 days ago

I love the multi-functional design of this Ikea office.