Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_119844430

What color trim, shutters, and front door would look best?

SMMichigan
12 days ago
last modified: 12 days ago

We need to refreshen the paint on our wood trim, front door, and shutters. I am not sure what the color of the siding is called (light cool gray). I am leaning towards changing to a darker front door and shutters (like SW Peppercorn), but I am not sure what looks best. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (11)

• kandrewspa
    12 days ago

The siding doesn't look gray in the picture, it looks like cream. Does it really look gray in person? If it's really more cream I would look at SW Urbane Bronze instead of Peppercorn.

SMMichigan thanked kandrewspa
  • SMMichigan
    Original Author
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Th picture does not show how gray it really is. The color name is Pewter. It's 22 years old and slighly faded from the sun.

• chloebud
    12 days ago

I think Peppercorn could work if your second pic is a better representation of the siding color. It could also work well with your roof color.

Yes to refreshing the shrubs!

SMMichigan thanked chloebud
  • Anne Duke
    12 days ago

Am I vision impaired, I don’t see the door?

• chloebud
    12 days ago

Anne, the door is in front under the right upper window.

• SMMichigan
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Thanks for the comments. I agree with the shrubs/trees. Our poor yard got hit by multiple ice storms and heavy snow this winter that created the "unique" look! I can finally start gardening and yard work since it is warming up.

• arcy_gw
    12 days ago

It appears this is not a used 'front door'? No walk way, no steps onto the porch? The columnar pines didn't hold up to the ice storm because they are too tall for their width. You could have them trimmed so they are no taller than height of the windows. Use the far right set as a guide. Yes the front hedge in front of the porch is also too tall. I would want a gentle curving walkway to the front door with a wide stairs leading to the door. The shutters can come down. Shutters that are not actually functional are not indicated. Taking the gray closer to white with a bright door would freshen things nicely. Blue could be too much red/white/blue themey, yellow can be nice but is not as common, red? that would celebrate the brick....

SMMichigan thanked arcy_gw
  • apple_pie_order
    12 days ago

It's an attractive house. You can use the paint company's visualizer website with a new photo after removing the storm-damaged shrubs. I hope the leaning tree from the neighbor's yard can be removed if it's in danger of falling on your house.

You can cut foamcore to the same size as the shutters, paint with SW Peppercorn, and prop the foamcore over the shutters to see how it would look. Taping up black or brown leaf bags can simulate very dark paint, too. These shutters were designed for decorative accents.

SMMichigan thanked apple_pie_order
  • SMMichigan
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The shrubs came out today. We are still cutting back the boxwood in the front of the porch We are planning on Peppercorn for the door and shutters and a lighter gray to match the siding for all the wood trim (SW Citiscape or SW Tin Lizzy which are lighter versions of Peppercorn). There is a concrete walkway to the driveway and garage on the right side of the house.

• chloebud
    10 days ago

Something else to consider is your shutter sizing. Each shutter should be half the window’s width. Even decorative shutters should be properly sized. I’d leave then off the lower double window.