Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djacobz568sewi

What to do with this very old hydrangea?

djacob Z6a SE WI
11 days ago

This bush has been here since before we moved in 38 years ago. I think it’s an Annabelle. It gets large white flowers. I have always kind of left it on its own and it comes back each year. However I have noticed in recent years that it’s becoming spindly looking. I am not sure what to do at this point. Please advise.

debra

Comments (8)

• floraluk2
    11 days ago

The soil looks rather compacted and mossy. I'd want to loosen the soil a bit with a garden fork, apply a slow release fertiliser and mulch thickly with compost. Also, despite the moss, there are currently cracks. Is it getting enough water? Does the downpipe drain into the bed? And I'd do a hard prune to the ground. Don't ask me what fertiliser. I rarely use them and just read the labels if I need one.

• luis_pr
    11 days ago

Hydrangea arborescens, commonly known as a smooth hydrangea or wild hydrangea, may become spindly for several reasons: (1) not receiving enough sunlight so monitor exactly when it receives sunlight and if there is something that can increase the number of hours until you get morning sun until 11am. Otherwise, it may become leggy as it stretches to reach for light. (2) Insufficient levels of nitrogen (confirm with a soil assay) and take appropriate action based on the results. You can feed it a general purpose, slow release fertilizer with a NPK Ratio of 10-10-10 normally but if nitrogen is low then you could also use blood meal to increase it a little but do not go overboard as it may then raise levels too much and produce leaves at the expense of blooms; see the recommendations on your soil assay. (3) Insufficient or inconsistent watering can make the shrub stems dry out or lose foliage during the dry season and not produce thicker stems. (4) If you prune frequently, it may be generating new growth all the time and not having time to thicken the stems. Note: some of the growth in the picture may consist of dead wood; if the stems do not leaf out by the end of June, consider pruning stems that still remain by then, not earlier. If the stems do not leaf out by that late date, the chances of future leaf out are low that they will. Normally though, you could also do a scratch test at the base of each of these individual stems if they are wide enough but some appear so tiny that that they may break up if you scratch them. (6) Lastly, you have a downward spout nearby that may be flooding the area when it rains, affecting the soil. I would ensure that that water is draining away. Add organic compost to help improve the soil.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked luis_pr
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you everyone! I am planning to do a soil assessment. I believe UWM can do this for me. This hydrangea has never had any special attention from me, due to its location on the north side of the house. It’s difficult to water. It only gets some late afternoon sun due to the placement of the fence. This is the same bush I asked about moving last year. What looks like a draining downspout is an elbow routed farther away. See below.

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Well I took on the pruning job today. This poor hydrangea has not been attended to as it should have been. I did cut back stems as laurie recommended. I also cut out a lot of moss, leaves and dead branches. Here’s what’s left. Not much.

debra

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    7 days ago

Good stuff Debra, you will be rewarded for your efforts!

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Do I put the cuttings in water or dirt?

debra

• floraluk2
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

Plant them in gritty soil. They root easily. Use short pieces, 6-8". https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-take-hydrangea-cuttings/