Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_wilson1967265

Ugly 1960's sub-division home, sloped lot, busy street. Your thoughts?

Paul Wilson
10 years ago
Looking for some exterior and landscape design help. This house lacks curb appeal. The two trees in the front have been removed. Now I just have a lawn and ugly planters. I have trimmed the shrubs down a bit. I am not in love with anything you see here. I hate the plastic mailbox. The yard is sloped and I have yet to find a good inspiration for what to do with it. I hate grass fundamentally and would rather pull weeds out of flower beds than pull sticker plants out of my lawn. I think I am going to remove the security light and the screen door to clean things up. I want to replace the lights near the door with something a more modern. Should I add carriage lamps?. I'm considering putting up solar screens on the windows (with or without pane bars?) I think "Dover Cliffs" from Behr might look good instead of the blue and on the garage door. The front door is a cheap hollow-core slab that needs to be replaced. I am having trouble figuring out what the character of this house is, and am thinking about putting up a 2 pane eyebrow solid door in its place. I am not sure if I want to paint the doors and trim the same color though. Also, there are vertical strips near the entrance. I am wondering what they might look like in a complementary color. Also thinking about painting the brick. Also thinking about rendering everything. I am attracted to modern southwest and Mediterranean style homes with clean functional design that complements the landscape. I'm open to all suggestions! Thanks!

Comments (39)

• Paul Wilson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Just realized there is a cable going across the front of my house. I've lived here for two years. I'm a guy.
  • Paul Wilson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I had those two big trees removed. I will replace these pictures tomorrow when the sun is up. :-)
  • Paul Wilson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Any tips on cleaning the concrete up and preventing weeds from growing in the cracks?
  • Paul Wilson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That antenna is going to go too.
  • PRO
    Paul Wilson thanked Mitchell Parker
  • adelejuiamorris
    10 years ago
    I remodeled a house like this one in Florida to sell. Paint it all white. Then emphasize the doorway with a great modern mahogany front door and two tall topiaries. Remove those bushes in front and meander a path to the sidewalk with flowering gardens flanking the path. Replace the fence in back with an arbor or gate.
    Consider planting a tree or series of bushes on the boundary line for privacy from your neighbor.
    Paul Wilson thanked adelejuiamorris
  • Paul Wilson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    paint the brick?
  • adelejuiamorris
    10 years ago
    Also, add two modern copper light fixtures on each side of front door. You can also replace your mailbox with a copper one. Done!!
  • adelejuiamorris
    10 years ago
    Yes, I think you should paint the brick.
  • adelejuiamorris
    10 years ago
    Use muriatic acid to clean concrete and white vinegar to spray between cracks for weeks.
  • adelejuiamorris
    10 years ago
    I don't know what your budget is but as I took a second look I think I would replace the garage doors with a mahogany door. Probably a simulated mahogany is what would be cost effective.
  • Paul Wilson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The door has a grained texture. That might look nice.
  • Paul Wilson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Now I'm thinking about what the trim would look like in white, the doors black/mahogany, and the brick nude.
  • SNZTH
    10 years ago
    Get rid of the hedges, then you could really do just about anything.
    Paul Wilson thanked SNZTH
  • Danica Michelle
    10 years ago
    I think you're on the right track with that last idea. A neighbor has that color brick, they painted the siding part nude(brick color or very similar) with white/cream trim and a black colored door. It looks really great!
    Paul Wilson thanked Danica Michelle
  • Paul Wilson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I kind of like the idea of matching the paneling and siding to match the brick
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    10 years ago
    Your house is not that bad - I would invest in a good wood door or at least a decorative one that would blend the garage with the house and ditto for the entrance door . If the concrete drive is in good shape you could have it scored and stained. I would remove all the grass and install a rock garden filled with ornamental grasses, low-growing evergreens and rock garden perennials that are drought tolerant. Top it off with a pea gravel mulch and add some decorative boulders and stepping stones. Once established this type of landscape is low maintenance. A small blooming tree on the left will add appeal as well. Below is a doodle of my concept. I couldn't duplicate the colors of the brick so the salmon represents it.
    Paul Wilson thanked Carolyn Choi
  • Cynthia Celenza
    10 years ago
    A power washer can do wonders on the concrete. White trim would give the exterior a lift. The bushes have lived their life. It's time they were removed to show off a great house!
    Paul Wilson thanked Cynthia Celenza
  • Paul Wilson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Sweet Caroline, thanks for the inspiration! I kinda like the idea of the concrete islands - really need to find someone that knows southwest plants so if you know anyone... Thanks again!
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    10 years ago
    All the garden designers I know personally are in Austin, Paul. Visit your local garden center and make friends with the sales staff. Some garden centers even have designers on staff that offer their services if you buy your plants there.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    10 years ago
    I think the concrete slabs would definitely go with your Texas garden -you need a drought-tolerant, low water landscape that will survive the extreme heat.
    Houzz Tour: A Labor of Modern Love in Costa Mesa · More Info
  • Paul Wilson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @PatioProductions - the third photo.
  • Paul Wilson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Sweet Caroline - can't get enough of the concrete islands. I would like to build a fenced off area in the front. I'm thinking a pony-wall of stained cedar, then loading up the surroundings with native plants and bushes.
  • Paul Wilson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The only thing that frightens me is dealing with the incline of the yard. It is steeper than it looks and I haven't seen an execution that is on a similar slope.
  • PRO
    Patio Productions
    10 years ago
    Actually my neighbors did the concrete slab thing on a slope with pebbles in the cracks. They did it up their driveway... kind of like a path up the side of the driveway actually and it looks nice. However for your yard I'd be nervous. Really the answer is retaining walls but those are very expensive to build and ugly if not done with the right materials. Maybe a low retaining wall half way up the yard can give you a flat seating area? Then cover the front half with low water landscaping.

Cheaper would be a small deck that starts at ground level back by your house then raises towards the street. Then hide the underside of the deck with latice and plants to hide the latice.
    Paul Wilson thanked Patio Productions
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    If funds allow why not enhance the yard out front this way?
    shwa · More Info
    Paul Wilson thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Paul Wilson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I wonder what the zone 7b equivalent to red apple is...
  • Paul Wilson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think terracing the yard somewhat will be the way to go. I just hate these subdivision yards.
  • Paul Wilson thanked Judy M
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    To extend the look of the house, plant a tree (or some tall vertical shrub) on the left side diagonally from the corner of the house.
    And paint the garage the same color of the body of the house, once you decide what color it will be.

Landscaping will help a lot.
    Paul Wilson thanked Judy M
  • Paul Wilson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The dead trees are gone! BTW, the windows go down to 7 inches off the floor.
    Landscape · More Info
  • Paul Wilson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I live in Arlington. Zone 7B. Also known as the fifth circle of hell for grass. And pollen. And fing water restrictions.
    Landscape · More Info
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Well, to keep you busy while you decide, go ahead and rip out the hedges - for sure they aren't helping any.
    Paul Wilson thanked decoenthusiaste
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    old post