Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alyssakuhn

Need window treatments for garage windows

alyssakuhn
10 years ago
We just built this contemporary/french influenced home May 2013. We are working on window treatments for garage. Our primary focus is a cost-effective product, that looks nice, and is easy to keep clean! We also want to prevent intruders from peeking into the large windows to see if our cars are there. In our other homes, insects and spider webs have always worked their way into the window treatments ( fitted drape type of product) but were hard to clean,,,didnt want to take them down 4 times a year and send to the cleaners,,,for a garage! I attached the following images; a photo of facade of house; the exterior views of the windows (2 larger, 2 smaller windows, though only one of the smaller ones is in the pic) plus a view of each size window from the inside of garage. One of the pics might not have made it into here, but I think you can see enough to get ideas!

Comments (12)

• andj32
    10 years ago
    Joanne, do you have any picture examples of this? Sounds interesting but seems like it would stand out a lot on the outside.
    alyssakuhn thanked andj32
  • pamhome13
    10 years ago
    Your house is beautiful. Sorry I don't have any ideals for the windows.
    alyssakuhn thanked pamhome13
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Use the same type of film that is used on automobile windows. Have it professionally applied and use the very darkest film so that no one can see.
    alyssakuhn thanked Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
  • alyssakuhn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Joanne, I would be interested in possibly using something like that, but I am concerned that the rest of the windows in the house facade would not match the window film; it might not looked balanced with only the garage windows having that treatment and not the rest of the house. I will probably put some window treatments on the far left windows on the ground floor at some later date, but these windows are in my music studio/living room type of room and film treatment would not be useful in that room. Also do you know if this film would be hard to remove, if we do not like it, or choose something else in a few more years? Does it damage the windows when removed? Also, where is this film available to see examples of it in a photo, online? Would this product be something I order through my decorator? Or an auto shop(per Lambert Dias Architects)? Thank you!
  • Skylar McCormick
    9 years ago
    Just wondering what you ended up doing in the garage window? We have same issue in our new build...
  • PRO
    SOLARIS
    9 years ago
    The best option for garage windows is an opaque or frosted film which will still let in light but give complete privacy. Do not use automotive film, it is typically not safe to install on dual pane glass. There are many options in reflective films made for residential applications but they do not offer complete privacy. All film options will be easy to clean, just like normal glass. Visit www.llumar.com to learn more and find a professional near you. Good luck!
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- Wallpaperforwindows.com maybe this will help you.
  • dyzzief
    6 years ago

What about just frosted glass that you can't see thru,

• dyzzief
    6 years ago

Im also looking and would like some suggestions

• conniecleek
    4 years ago

I’ve been looking at a site called decorative films. there are loads of very nice patterned window films. They are not cheap, and seem to be of nice quality. I’m considering some full sheet glass panels like seedy glass or glue chip to place in the window against the existing glass.

• PRO
    SOLARIS
    4 years ago

Connie - Decorativefilms is one of our suppliers and has the best selection of deco film options. You can certainly DIY install these products but I would recommend trying one first to make sure you are happy with the quality of your work and if not, call a professional installer. I've had clients burn away a weekend fighting the install, then call us to come and replace it. Good luck!