Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Tell us - If you could trade houses with one friend...

Emily H
10 years ago
If you could trade houses with one friend or relative of yours, who would you trade with and why?

Tell us about the house you would trade for! (photos encouraged)

Mill Valley Classic Cottage · More Info

Comments (28)

• yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    either my gramma's, or my aunt rae's.

rae's because it's in the swedish countryside and is absolutely GORGEOUS and has a whole big wall of windows in the dining room.

gram's because it's a 1940s ranch that's got coped ceilings and windows everywhere. it has a full basement with a work bench and a bunch of cool powertools, and a bloody huge yard with a pretty stand of pine trees along the front to block noise from the M52.

sadly, i have no pitchurs, but i really super love both houses.
    Emily H thanked yoboseiyo
  • User
    10 years ago
    I love my new home and wouldn't trade it for anybody's!
    Emily H thanked User
  • Emily H
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    lovely!
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Emily, that is the back of the house; the front looks like a barn.
  • wyndyacre
    10 years ago
    I love the memory of my Grandma and Grandpas house in a rural village. Nothing fancy...what Americans would call an American Foursquare. Furnished simply but comfortably with big windows overlooking a large yard of flowerbeds, a row of old apple trees and a white pickett fence. It was right beside the village fire department and the fire engines were often out being polished.
    The house is still there but hasn't been well cared for. The present owners took down the fence and cut down the apple trees.
    Emily H thanked wyndyacre
  • chloebud
    10 years ago
    Probably my husband's childhood home in La Canada Flintridge, CA. His parents sold the house in the early 1973 which was before our wedding. I've always regretted not being able to have the wedding at that amazing house. Sorry...I don't have a photo!
    Emily H thanked chloebud
  • Sigrid
    10 years ago
    I wouldn't trade my house for any of my relatives'. I would like some of the atmosphere, though. My parents have an elegant, finished, chosen look with MidMod. I'd like the atmosphere, but with a traditional style.
    Emily H thanked Sigrid
  • User
    10 years ago
    We would love a medieval house. No relative has one, they all like small places they can lock up and leave to travel a lot.
    Emily H thanked User
  • Emily H
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We have more of an acquaintance than a friend who's home is just about everything I want in a house, right down to the finishes. I'd take it in a second.
  • Monica Ellison
    10 years ago
    My friends and families dwell in McMansion cookie cutter homes in the suburbs so no thank you. I would not trade my small but quality built home in urban America.
    Emily H thanked Monica Ellison
  • Stacey at Dohiy.com
    10 years ago
    A friend has a house that's about the same size and age as our 1920s bungalow, but it has more of its original details, and some nice extras that we don't have. Basically, I want our house, but a bit fancier!
    Emily H thanked Stacey at Dohiy.com
  • condomary
    10 years ago
    I would trade with my immediate neighbour. She has already replaced her floors, redesigned her kitchen and put in closet organizers everywhere! My possessions would fit perfectly as our suites are the same style, we face the same direction and my cats wouldn't get too upset as they visit there anyway.
    Emily H thanked condomary
  • PRO
    Liza Hausman
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    My friend in Switzerland it is gorgeous there and so many ski slopes 30 minutes away
    Emily H thanked Liza Hausman
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    @iamjudy...Iamenvious!
    Emily H thanked Darzy
  • Linda Renzulli
    10 years ago
    My sister's home. She designed it herself. We have identical taste in decorating but she has the $$ to invest in museum quality antiques and art. Her home was featured in "Traditional Home" magazine several years ago. She is the hardest worker I know and a two time cancer survivor and I am incredibly proud of her! She deserves to be surrounded by such beauty.
    Emily H thanked Linda Renzulli
  • Matthew Perry
    10 years ago
    It would be one of my best friend's house.

I think the photo shoot I did would tell the story as to why! :)

http://www.houzz.com/rustic-manotick-Princiotta
    Emily H thanked Matthew Perry
  • suzy3215
    10 years ago
    My grandmother's home was built about 1940 and has the most fabulous sun room off the back as well as a small side porch. The brick exterior is a cranberry color which I love for its rich hue, and its front windows have dark green shutters which add character and charm. There is also a bay window which is really great for the Christmas tree.
    Emily H thanked suzy3215
  • Matthew Perry
    10 years ago
    I agree! Was a fun home to shoot! photos turned out well!
    Emily H thanked Matthew Perry
  • mkmort
    10 years ago
    my friend's farm, they are going to open a B&B
    Emily H thanked mkmort
  • Carol Bland
    10 years ago
    Like chookchook2, I would like to have a mediaeval house. I was lucky to grow up in a long, narrow, 2-storeyed, steeply pitched, reed-thatched, 16th century farm house in England. Its proportions were human - no cathedral ceilings or ostentatious porte cocheres, no picture windows or echoing halls. Instead, thick wattle-and-daub, colour-washed walls and 50 year reed thatch to keep us warm/cool, brick tiles underfoot, and oak beams to hold it all up. I doubt if a house like that would conform to local code here in SE Texas, though!
    Emily H thanked Carol Bland
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    10 years ago
    Heck........since the control board in my 17 year old furnace fried itself yesterday morning and finding a new one is becoming more like the quest for the Holly Grail, I would gladly trade for anyone that has heat........especially since the temps tonight are called for in the low 20's. Radiant and quartz heaters are keeping it bearable........in some areas. Thank God for electric blankets, long underwear and the small quartz heater in the bathroom.

Hopefully, my HVAC guy has a lead that pans out tomorrow and this old beast can make it through the rest of the winter. Come Spring a whole new system will be installed in the whole house renovation.
    Emily H thanked S. Thomas Kutch
  • Donna O
    10 years ago
    I want to know about THIS house that is pictured! It is fantastic and I would love to have it! :
    Emily H thanked Donna O
  • Emily H thanked User
  • New Girl
    10 years ago
    I wont like to trade off a house that have built with all love and care. Specially consedering the fact that my husband I have moved together and have worked together to make it a home form a house
    Emily H thanked New Girl
  • User
    10 years ago
    I'd trade with Barack Obama...I love white houses.
    Emily H thanked User
  • dstemple1956
    10 years ago
    If I HAD to trade houses with anyone, I'd trade with my friend who has an amazing 1910 Victorian with 12 foot ceilings and 10" baseboards and crown. But I've stated in many posts, I love my small 1078 sq. foot ranch home!
    Emily H thanked dstemple1956
  • arubalime
    10 years ago
    I love my neighbor's fully finished basement. I don't have a basement but I see how great it would be to send the kids and friends down there. (Or I would escape there and surrender the first floor!)