Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_6632488

Colour scheme problem

Brandon It-Tati
10 years ago
When we started furnishing our place we just wanted white and grey with touches of Red. We after noticed that the place was really modern and wanted to add something to make it warmer . We started inserting some brown . Legs of the table , carpet in front of sofa and we ordered also a side board next to table grey with brown . I have three questions . 1.Since we have the kitchen in white we wanted to have the coffee table in white gloss . Will it look nice ? Having already sofa and tv unit grey and a brown carpet. 2.What colour should the curtains be ? 3.And finally does the red still look nice or should we eliminate it completely

Comments (33)

• rcklady
    10 years ago
    Personally the modern approach is harder for me but I would take out the red to make it warmer. I would add white fabric drapes. The room seems very heavy so I would try to lighten it more with the white. I don't know if it is the way the rug is photographed but I don't think it is working as well in that space for you as well as one with a pattern on it would. Maybe some lighting would work well to finish the space. I would even try to put some white on the dining room table with a center piece of a runner or a long low candle scape with white rocks. Not sure on the white formica table.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    Home Decorative Rug Pillows C1750 Basarabian Kilim 20" | eBay · More Info
    agree with Barbara about your rug. Another way to bring in more colors to a contemporary room is by using Kilim Pillows. I posted one to show how you can reiterate the red, go down into black (rather than gray) and come back with greens, yellows or blues.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    The window can wear a white texture casement if you do draperies. Texture is important to this room as most of your finishes are quite "sleek". I would play up color in your art and pillows.
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    The brown rug is really throwing off the room. Cream shag might work, but I'd rather see a patterned rug I red, white and gray. Curtains made out of surplus snow camouflage might also appeal to you.
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Here is a photo showing how a pattern on the rug, some colorful pillows and art can add warmth and life:
    Surya Archive Rug (ACH-1710) · More Info
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    What is your lighting like? Looks like just overhead. Might want to "layer in" some light with lamps, uplights, etc.
    Organic Modern · More Info

Martis Camp Contemporary · More Info
  • Brandon It-Tati
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks to all of you ... I was really hoping that with a white coffee table and white curtains i would solve the prob since i just bought the carpet ...
    If i keep the carpet , add a the white curtains as you mentioned and also the white coffee table what other colours should i add ? And should i remove completely the red ?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Hi,
    I'm not so opposed to your rug. I think it goes well with the tiles on your wall and I have nothing against the combination grey/brown/red/white. A white gloss coffee table could work.
    I'm missing colour in your dining space. I would like to see something else instead of the clock. Either a tall wooden bookcase or a large painting with red and maybe orange in it.
    I'd keep the curtains simple. White.

Blu Dot D3 Bookcase, Walnut / White · More Info

“Vivanti” Canvas Art · More Info
  • Brandon It-Tati
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi pcmom ... For now its just spot lights but i will insert hanging lights on the dining table
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Agree with pcmom that you need to add lamps. That will instantly change the atmosphere of your room at night. Will make it feel cozier and different light levels will add interest.
    Here's an interesting ideabook about lighting your room (follow the link under the picture)
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/decorating-101-how-to-plan-your-homes-lighting-stsetivw-vs~12803740
  • Brandon It-Tati
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi carolins

Underneath the clock i was going to add a side board same colours as dining table (grey and walnut) measuring 140 cm width 40 cm depth and 75 cm height and than i was going to add a colorful painting and remove the clock from there.

Do you think its ok or should i just hang a larger painting on that wall without a sideboard?

As for the curtains i was going to layer them in two colours , white and very very light brown . Do you still think i should make them all white instead?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    An arc lamp could be nice?
    m.a.p. interiors · More Info

West Village Apartment · More Info

Lantern Arc Floor Lamp CB2 · More Info
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I don't mind the rug (but I'm no pro either!). I would remove the red from this area, maybe even go for a monochromatic look. Just add interest with art above the fireplace and bold pillows. Lots of texture. Marble coffee table?
    Capitol Creek · More Info

Bloomberg Tower, NYC · More Info

Contemporary Living Room · More Info

Pool House & Wine Cellar · More Info
  • Brandon It-Tati
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    An arc lamp where ? And sorry if i am asking again .. What about the white coffee table
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Are you keeping the vertical shades? I can't really picture the layered curtains you're thinking of. Do you have an image of what you're considering for curtains that you can share with us?

A sideboard should be good. You can maybe put the red statue on that and put something more vertical above the fireplace. Or even leave that empty. The horizontal line of the statue looks very heavy there. It kind of stops your eye, making the room seem lower than it is if you know what I mean?
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Where did you get the rug?
  • Brandon It-Tati
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carolins

I understood what u meant . As for the curtains i m gonna do them all white to match with the coffee table and and with someypthing in the middle of the dining table which will also be white .

I also agree with you re fireplace . I was gonna remove the statue and i had 2 options to replace it 1. A painting or shelves above the fireplace . What colour of shelves or painting would you suggest ?

Re the "clock wall" as i told you im gonna put the sideboard .
    I was gonna put a lampshade to include some light aswell . Would u still insert the statue ?
  • Brandon It-Tati
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Mforr

If you mean the shop . Its from Poltrone esofa
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Do you think they'd let you exchange the brown for a grey or even better, white?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    To show you how a white coffee table would look and just for fun I put in a red arc lamp. I couldn't put it on the other side of the sofa, it would have pointed the wrong way ;-)

I wouldn't do shelves above the fireplace. It will attract clutter. I think I would leave that wall empty.
  • Brandon It-Tati
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The previous carpet we had was a mixture of black, grey and white and since it had white the carpet was getting very dirty so we placed that in d bedroom as people that come over would stay in d living area hence y it was getting dirtier.... We think there is too much grey in d room hence y we didn't opt for grey again and if we were to go for the white carpet that would once again end up getting dirtier....thats the problem?
  • Brandon It-Tati
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Good idea... The coffee table we were looking at is the attached.... What do you think? Re the light i like the way it looks on top of the sofa but i would have opted for a brown colour instead of the red as we r trying to not add anymore red to the room... Would this kind of lamp cover the lighting we r thinking of adding on top of the table though or not since at the moment this looks gorgeous but what about once the hanging light is inserted on top of the table?
  • Kathy Webber
    10 years ago
    I like it. Seems the brown in the carpet brings out the warm tones in the stone.
  • Kathy Webber
    10 years ago
    Add some organic features to the room to bring out more warmth. Perhaps a tree trunk coffee table with white marble top.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I understand, but I do really feel that the brown rug is so off in the room, it actually (in picture) gives a dirty appearance in color, perhaps in person it's not quite like that? I realize that you may feel there's a lot of gray, but perhaps in a very light gray, you'd still get contrast, some dirt protection, and a better feel in the room? If not, no worries, I just feel it would complement your room. :)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    If you like that coffee table, go for it. That solves the 'everything is square' issue. No need for an arc lamp then, because I think that would be too many round items in one spot.
  • R Robulock
    10 years ago
    I love the kitchen. I wouldn't change a thing there.

In my opinion, you have 2 problems: the rug and the dining area.
    I like the chevron rug that pcmom1 posted, it has a more modern look and the white in the pattern will lighten up the space.

I agree to remove what looks like gray verticals and put up white almost sheer curtains to let some light in even when they are closed.

The dining table, the chairs & the wall are all gray. Look for some art with lots of white and some red, maybe two vertical pieces of art next to each other, or maybe a big silver mirror.
    Add something white on top of the table like a white runner with silver candle holders to match the mirror.
    I like the table carolins posted.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    I'm not liking the brown rug .. but if you love it, you'll have to tie in the gray and brown with art and pillows - but the blinds would have to be changed.

Great pillow posted way above my Karen Paul Interiors.
  • PRO
    Design Details Unlimited
    10 years ago
    This room need to pop!!I would paint the walls red, more chinese red than pillows.
    Love the idea of arc lamp in stainless steel, draperies should be a taupe color in a gauzy fabric with a contemporary stainless stell rod.Loose the horns over fireplace and use art
    per image.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
  • Brandon It-Tati
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks carolins . Nice idea
  • PRO
    Design Details Unlimited
    10 years ago
    Is the surround on fireplaace brass?? I do not like the lamp or vaseit's too cluttrred for a contemporary feel--the rod on window treatment should be on the outside of window
    with softer looking drapery.