Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulette_moreno

What to do with walls and furniture in dining room?

Paulette Moreno
10 years ago
Hello! Do you think a brick wall oposite to the kitchen is a good idea? Or just a different color? If so, should I combine the wall color with the kitchen cabinet color (privilege green sherwin williams). I also have mix of furniture because mi mom gave me the wood color chair and the base ... I always thought to change the color to black to go with the other 4 chairs i bought but now im unsure if maybe i just have to give the two chairs back...So another question is: can some changes be made to the furniture to make it work or do they have to go? Once i make the furniture choice i can have a better idea to buy a credenza for the back. Thanks in advanced for your ideas!!

Comments (53)

• sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    I agree no to the brick wall idea. Personally I think you could use some color in there. Perhaps taking a cue from your cabinet color ( which I can't see), you could look for a neutral rug with a bit of green in it and some light blue of the 4 chairs. Also some art work on either/both walls. Don't necessarily need to paint the whole room, if you prefer the minimalist look. The wood arm chairs can go, or if you want to re-work them into another area, by painting and new fabric. They can go as a pair with a little table for extra seating. I would prefer some different bar stools as well. No offense meant, but those look like leggy, folding inexpensive stools. They also look very high( the seats) under the counter, which means they are not all that practical for sitting there. I hope this helps.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    What is across from the dining room? I would love to see a large mirror on that back wall, if the reflection is interesting.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    A rug would give the area definintion. Pick a color.
    Paulette Moreno thanked leelee
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Add some vintage posters on the walls.
  • qam999
    10 years ago
    Have closed the duplicate; please continue posting HERE.
  • Paulette Moreno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all your ideas! Im attaching a picture of the kitchen cabinets (i apologize for the mess ;) ). The area behind the dining room needs to be integrated to the dining area however theres a beam that separates the areas.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    What are your thought for use for that space behind the dining room?

Since your kitchen is on the smaller side, my thoughts would be to add a bar/buffet or coffee bar where you could store your liquor, wine and bar glasses and/or coffee supplies. It could be as simple as a buffet or it could be a built-in.

It could also be a really awesome showpiece.
    houzz=
    Brentwood - Sullivan Canyon · More Info
    [houzz=
    Dining, Coffee or Cocktails · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    DaleAllenSpiry Designs
    10 years ago
    I would suggest a framed mirror or perhaps digitally printed photography on canvas. The longer wall would accept a divide photo adding interest. Any photo that meets your style. As for the mirror same application only in a single piece. Keep in mind what you are reflecting.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Great kitchen cabinets. Can't tell for sure but it looks as though your refrigerator door needs to have the hinge switched from the right side to the left. You should be able to do this yourself. Check on the top left side to see if there's a place to change the hinge. Life will be a little easier if your fridge door opens the right way.
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    The back wall will be difficult for a credenza unless it is quite small because you will need to leave space for the walkway from the bedroom. If you want it centered on that wall it will to be smaller than the width of your table. Look for something around 35" wide.

Farrington Lamp Table · More Info
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    The bars I was showing were for inspiration. In your case, you would have to do a corner bar or one that 45'd and returned to the wall at both ends.
  • Paulette Moreno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We love the idea of a coffe bar or buffet table or credenza on the back. Im worried about blocking the door frame on the left thou... Do you think a corner piece works? See photo for whole area in the back
  • Paulette Moreno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Jajaja i just saw you posted the corner bar idea ! Thanks!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Yes, I do. Consider that you could also move your dining set out more to give more space in the back.

Just some ideas to get you thinking…….

[houzz=
    Kitchen Makeover · More Info
    [houzz=
    Eclectic Dining Room · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    [houzz=
    Bar · More Info
    ]
  • Paulette Moreno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks everyone for the comments! Now that the back is resolved what are your thoughts on the long wall? Any color ideas? Also i keep leaning towards the idea of moving the dining room closer to the long wall and setting a long couch instead of chairs and and using the chairs (the 4 i have that look the same) on the rest of the table opposite to the wall ... Follow this link for visual input http://houzz.com/photos/590353
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    That is a thought.

Try moving the existing chairs you have in that configuration an place any bench you have there for mock-up.

Also, can you move the dining table closer to the living room. Maybe it's the photos, but it just seems like there is a lot of empty space on that side.
  • Paulette Moreno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Maybe just a bit. See this picture from another perspective. The area on the back is the living room.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    What is your goal? To have more seats around the table or to have more room to walk around the table?
  • Paulette Moreno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    actually it would be nice to have more seats...I've thought about that too.. But then i will need a longer crystal. the idea of the couch is just to allow more space between dining room and kitchen.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Do you mean a chandlier? That can be moved.

It would look better and feel better and give you more space if the table were centered in the area between the 2 headers? Do you see what I mean?

Can you try doing that? Remove the end chairs. Center table. Place 4 chairs on sides only. Please take a photo. Thanks.

Extra chairs can be added when you have people over.
  • Paulette Moreno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Do you mean to center the table between the two beams? I meant the table crystal to allow for more seats ( i still haven't gotten a chandelier as i want to define the style of the room first).
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Okay. Yes, I meant to center the table between the 2 beams. I think it would look so much better.
  • Paulette Moreno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok! Here is the photo without the header chairs as you suggested. I do like it a lot better just the four chairs! However the table was already centered, i just moved it a little closer to the living room. The other two chairs are gonna have to go as they are too big even for the wall in the back :(
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Glad you like it. But, that actually wasn't what I was suggesting. What I meant was to
    place 2 chairs on one long side/2 chairs on the other long side/no chairs on ends.

See if you like that.
  • Paulette Moreno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok! Here it is with two on each side. :)
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I love that! What do you think? See how you can see straight through to the back! I even like how you've set up the chairs for now.

How are you feeling about it?
  • Paulette Moreno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It does look good! Not as busy as before. do you think i can maybe mix your coffee bar/wine-licor bar idea with an arrangement like the one i just made in the back? Or is it too much?
  • PRO
    The Rug Warehouse & More
    10 years ago
    A colorful rug is definitely a good option for this space. I would also like to see a mirror to reflect more light and brighten the whole space!
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    I'm not loving the chairs on the back wall I guess they become the focal point of the room as they are almost the only color in the room. I think its that you just see lotsa chairs from the living area and not much else. Try turning your dining table 90 degrees and have 2 chairs on each side. You may need to move the table close to the wall.

You need a focal point whether its a rug, wall art, painted wall.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I assumed the 2 chairs and table were a temporary solution/mockup. They are not the final solution, but better than before.

I think you could have something like what you have in the back. Using it as a mockup, pretend the 2 chairs are bar-height. The table (also bar-height )would be the bar. (fairly small, but still……)

You can try also angling the whole arrangement in the corner.

Also, consider no chairs back their-----would give you more storage space.

The 2 chairs your mother gave you ultimately should probably go in the living room and the pulled up when you need extra chairs.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Maybe I'm missing something but why would you walk back in the corner of your dining room to get coffee when the kitchen is just as close? The chairs would look better on the back wall without that little table. It doesn't serve a purpose or look nice enough to be in your dining room.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Are there two posts? I think so. My comments are missing. ????
  • Paulette Moreno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    CDR- Oh absolutely it is a temporary fix. But i will need to buy a similar pair of chairs and arrange them in the back in case we need them for guests (my moms chair just don't go with anything so I'm giving them back to her) . About the tall bar and chairs idea, thou i really like it I have to agree with Lee lee, theres just another bar in the kitchen. :/
  • Paulette Moreno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes judy it somehow duplicated and houzz closed the other one, but i was able to see all your comments. i arranged the table and chairs on the back as you suggested what do you think?
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I am becoming more perplexed by the day by everyone complaining that their rooms lack interest, yet they never think to hang art. ART, big art, lots of art, funky art, ethnic art. Find something you want to look at every day and hang it on the wall. Good. Now go find something else and hang it too.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    I like it. You seem to want to keep the chairs and it’s a good way to do it. Now, instead of bricking the long wall, what if you wallpaper that wall with Mom’s chairs?
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Maybe a grass cloth?
    Paper Strokes Beige Grass Cloth Wallpaper · More Info
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Or this:
    Scrapwood Wallpaper-03 Piet Hein Eek · More Info
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Paulette….just throwing out ideas….totally up to you.

So, what you would like to do is place a couple of chairs and a table there…..chairs that you could pull up an use at the table

-need new table
    -your Mom's chairs could work if they were painted and recovered

If it is just as easy for you to return them to her, that will work also.

I would recommend 2 similar chairs in a different color….maybe black or some other color that is already in your room.

-large mirror
    -art on side wall
    -simple centerpiece
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Got art?
  • Paulette Moreno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Judy-I gave up the idea of keeping the chairs :/ The style is just so different from the rest of the decor...i will have to get other chairs that go with the other ones in the dining room but will put them in the back like you suggested with a small credenza in the middle instead of the white coffee table as I do need storage for table accesories (table cloth, napkins, etc) as well as for licor, wine, etc... I like the idea of adding the wall paper! Thanks!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Paulette----that is a good plan. Pier One and Pottery Barn have small bars that would suit your needs….might not fit with your kitchen style, though. Maybe ikea?

Once you have your furniture in place, you can add some art.
  • Paulette Moreno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Since i moved the dining table closer to the living room i have this space now.
  • Paulette Moreno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks CDR! Can I do this in the wall opposite to the door and just put a large mirror or art on the other wall on the back of the dining table? (Since now i have that extra space)
  • PRO
    AQ Lighting Texas, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Love the wall art groveraxle suggested! I would just move the large colorful piece next to your dining room table, install a mini recessed light with an adjustable trim to highlight the painting, and place the coffee bar on the back wall like you and CDR Design have discussed. Here is an example of a mini recessed light http://www.affordablequalitylighting.com/indoor-lighting/recessed-housings-trims/mini-recessed-cans/recessed-under-cabinet-puck-light-cpmr16/ The additional light may seem unnecessary, but it really does enhance the look and feel of the art you select. The mini light will draw your guests attention to the art you select for that space and will cause the piece to look more vibrant.

I think I'd also paint the trim of the door in the back to white (wall color) so it goes away. The brown color contrasts the white walls so that it draws the eye, and that's not the goal. What type of chandelier were you thinking of for over the dining area? Looking at the pendants over the bar you have a bit of a mod style when it comes to lighting, are looking for something similar?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the pics! They really help. I think you have the right idea.

Now that I see them, I do think you should orient whatever furniture you place there, beginning at the left side of the table and going right. So, for example the left-most chair will have to go----too tight with the door…….sort of as I originally said.

So, options for your buffet/wine bar thingy are a
    -corner unit or
    -some sort of L formation or
    -place it along the wall you show in picture left above.

Don't worry about the back wall looking unbalanced. We can fix that. For example, if you do a corner unit, we can add art on the left side of the wall, so it looks balanced.

More inspiration for you

[houzz=
    Vanessa DeLeon · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Basement Project in North Aurora, Il · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    [houzz=
    Clairemont Whole House Renovation · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I looked at your idea book and found, ironically one I had posted above. I think this would be a really good fit for you if you do a built-in.

[houzz=
    Bar · More Info
    ]