Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

What's the weirdest thing you've seen...

Jeannie Nguyen
10 years ago
...in your front/backyard?

If you have an unusual looking flower, plant, fruit, vegetable, or have even found a weird looking object/animal, post a photo and share your stories!

Romanesco broccoli and Swiss chard · More Info

Comments (84)

• susan148
    10 years ago
    No lions and tigers, but turkeys and deer, oh my!
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Wow okedokegal, thanks!
  • Tina Wickham
    10 years ago
    I had a deer break up a cat fight in my yard last year was one of the strangest things I ever saw.
  • rk10007
    10 years ago
    not to mention the tulips susan148 is growing on her windowsill!
  • stryker
    10 years ago
    I found a HUGE bone in my driveway. Seemed like a dinosaur fossil. Most people think it's a bear femur. It's probably just a cow bone, though. The chew marks on it are the really scary thing.

Years ago, we found bone fragments right up against the house that appeared (according to surgeons I worked with) to be human bones. Forensics proved them to be deer bones.
  • hammerhugger
    10 years ago
    The most strange thing I have ever found in my yard was a "Stinkhorn Fungus". Quite frankly, it looks to me like a male part (sorry, didn't know how else to put it) . I took it to my local nursery and when I showed them they started backing away and said "can't you smell that?" I said "no, I have no sense of smell". Then they told me what it was called. I tried posting a pic but could not get it to work, but if you google Stinkhorn Fungus, you will see what I mean.
  • rredpenn
    10 years ago
    One summer, some landscapers who worked down the street drove by in their van and threw something in our front yard out by our driveway. I ran out there to see what garbage they had tossed. It was an enormous, HEADLESS, bull snake. They had taken the head, and disposed of the body. CREEPY.
  • Robert Alves
    10 years ago
    My 6 year old found this on our back porch after some really good rain. I believe it's a horsehair worm. The live inside of beetles, grasshoppers, etc.
  • Terri
    10 years ago
    I see your weird things and I raise you this human-faced fish. While at the NC Aquarium at Ft. Fisher with my nephews, I put my phone up against a tank that had a lot of beautiful fish. I wasn't focusing on any one area, just having fun. I hope this is clear to see because later, when I downloaded the photos I found this...the missing evolutionary link!
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    Amazing Terri. What a fabulous shot of an unusual fish.
  • Terri
    10 years ago
    I couldn't have gotten that shot if I was trying, not in a million years. But I got some cool jellyfish too.
  • tarnzen
    10 years ago
    One of the twin fawns that comes through our backyard every couple days was trying to play and follow our cat around. Was like watching Bambi it was so cute!
  • macyjean
    10 years ago
    What a great assortment of weird things!
    The fungus in the Sydney garden reminded me, we sometimes get a fungus I believe is called dog vomit slime mold. It sounds worse than it looks. In fact it often simply looks like a small pale flattish rock, of which we have plenty. You learn otherwise when the water from the hose hits it. I have learned to be wary if I find myself thinking hmm, I don't remember a rock there? I still prefer the dog vomit slime mold to the artillery fungus! I'm going to have nightmares tonight.
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    tarnzen, that's a pretty fat looking fawn! must be a bit older. I love how your cat just sits there and waits :)
  • PRO
    Flintridge Design Inc.
    10 years ago
    Fascinating plant. I was so mesmerized at a local farmers market last month I had to take this shot. I agree it looks like a fractal model and seems to hint a scientific clue of some sort.
  • Sharon Cameron
    10 years ago
    Isn't nature amazingly wonderful!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Fractals...
    this is a Nova documentary and is a wonderful little bit about Mandelbrot's fractals and how the world around us is full of fractal geometry.
  • User
    10 years ago
    The picture I couldn't get if I tried, was totally snapped by accident and found after I downloaded... digital shutter reaction is slow unless you have a professional camera worth as much as a small car...

See the airborne insect just left of center about to land on that iris leaf?
  • dreamweaver3
    10 years ago
    Woke up one morning with 3 buffalo lounging in our front yard. We live in Iowa. :) At the time our neighbor was experimenting with beefalo.
  • Shevaun Handley
    10 years ago
    @ despinach: my late mother-in-law called them moon flowers as the only flower at the full moon. While it wasn't my experience (flowered when ever it liked), they are perhaps the most heavenly flowers. I miss mine ... :(
  • User
    10 years ago
    Since nobody else has mentioned this, last summer we had hundreds, if not thousands, of 17 year cicadas for about 5-6 weeks invade our yard and community. They made a constant high pitched alien-like sound from sun-up to sun-down. They are not destructive. They mate, lay eggs, and die, and they won't be back for 17 more years.
  • User
    10 years ago
    smileyface2013

Don't I wish. 2009 was our 17 year cycle and the cicadias about drove us crazy. The males can make 115 decibels. I had an ecogreen solar powered clothes dryer (clothesline) and would have to hang clothes with hearing protectors they were so bad. One set up over your clothesline or aimed at your house windows was bad...

We get SOME every year, not just the 'big' year. You are lucky if you don't have any more show up for the next decade and a half. All it takes is ONE male in your yard to destroy your peace and they do NOT give up. We will hear them from June through October.... it's a blessing when it gets cold enough to freeze them out.

The males are the ones that make the noise... they sit on a tree to draw females, the females lay eggs deep in the outer branches of the tree and that can scar up the tree, and they suck sap from the trees. IF you manage to hit the fellow straight on with a stream from a garden house they make the most affronted noise and pack up and move. I chased one around my small fruit trees one day this past fall, he just wouldn't LEAVE and I was trying to work out there. It took about 15 soggings before he finally left.

The main wave in your area will be every 17 years but you will get some every year. That way in case something comes along and wipes out most of them, some will make it to reproduce.
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    I don't know if we ever had these many, but we have them every year. They are so noisy. I don't have trees close to the house, but in the back of the yard, there is a small forest so they are always there.
  • User
    10 years ago
    They're a cross between the plague and an alien invasion! :) Seriously, they didn't bother me. I was here 17 years ago, last time they were here. However, they would drive me nuts if it was like this every year!
  • Rachel H
    10 years ago
    I'd never seen one of these monsters until recently. I hear you don't want these things anywhere near your tomato plants.
  • PRO
    adpriyantha kumara
    10 years ago
    I'm Sri Lankan in my garden night lady flower. we call it ( KADUPUL ) Sri Lanka most places this flower available. Only night 9 P.m to 6 A.M can can see.
  • diyher
    10 years ago
    I was in my back yard July 2013 starting to stain my 2 1/2" wood frames for a 1 1/2" gallery wrapped canvases that I sell. I stain and varnish my own frames. When all of a sudden, something with large wings buzzed by my ear and made me jump almost making me knock over my can of stain. then I glanced down and this huge bug, at least 1 1/2" long grey and black bug had landed on my frame :-O
    I ran into the house to get my camera and zoom lens to capture it
  • bargainslayer
    10 years ago
    Found this in the front yard.
  • lacycooper
    10 years ago
    My neighbor.
  • Patsy Bauman
    10 years ago
    Growing in my yard in Anaheim.
  • Chris Warren
    10 years ago
    @ patsyB Those look kinda naughty. I found over half a ton of junk concrete chunks that the builder used to even out my sloped lot in the sixty square foot tomato garden I dug. I replaced it with mulch and soil.
  • stryker
    10 years ago
    Patsy, you could almost be arrested for that picture! Maybe your and bargainslayer's fungi need to get together.
  • bargainslayer
    10 years ago
    Please no!!! I'd hate to see what I'd find in my yard after that!
  • PRO
    adpriyantha kumara
    10 years ago
    I;m Sri Lankan. This flower well famous in Sri Lanka calling (KADUPULL) In my garden too. Can see 9 PM to 7 AM only.
  • missable
    10 years ago
    despinach. My mom has had one for years. Here's what she calls it. Hers rarely blooms so enjoy yours, it looks very happy! http://www.desertusa.com/cactus/night-blooming-cereus.html
  • User
    10 years ago
    Rachel H, hornworm. The bane of tomato growers! It doesn't take long for those (deleteds) to get about an inch thick and 4-5 inches long. Even a small one can destroy a tomato plant in one night. If you start finding damage you look for a bunch of little brownish bits (dross or wormpoopers) and look straight above that about 8-12" in the plant and you'll find the culprit or culprits. The best way I've ever found to get rid of them is show some preeteens (8-10 that aren't too scared of bugs) what they look like, offer them a clean empty plastic PB jar with lid and put a bounty of $1-2 each for hornworms. Ransom the jar and confiscate and destroy the contents so some enterpreneurs can't recycle the same one...

If you are lucky you will find them at thinner than a soda straw and 1 1/4" (3cm). If not you find them when they are the size of the first picture. And it just takes ONE that size to make hash of your tomatoes. The second one is a lovely montage of the four stages of hornworms.
  • calkelley
    10 years ago
    We have crab spiders in our huge 'monkey cage' (screened patio) and wherever we don't walk for a couple weeks, they spin lots of invisible webs.
    So funniest thing - my 6 ft son walking and then becoming strange ninja fighter battling pghosts as he walks into them. ; p
  • Sharon Cameron
    10 years ago
    My cat and a Blue Tongue Lizard have become friends. Each morning the cat goes out to check on him. The cat will sit right by him and they sun themselves. The cat even shares his food bowl with him. Must be true love!
  • PRO
    adpriyantha kumara
    10 years ago
    I am Sri Lankan in my garden this flower available. We are calling ' KADUPUL ' This plant same like dragon fruit. Every month continue four five days every day two or three flowers can see.
  • mom3333
    8 years ago

I didn't take photos, but it was weird to find what looked to be a goose egg in the middle of the sidewalk. I live in a small town, and we do see geese migrating, but one must have had the uncontrollable urge, and stopped on the sidewalk and let it out.

What was I supposed to do, keep it warm????

About a mile from here, I was driving in an area of flat farmland, and a dead bird fell on my windshield.

Seems birds and I keep crossing weird paths

I didn't see it but my husband did on his drive home from work - a piebald deer. I had to look up and see what he was talking about and since he saw one, there are probably more because it's a genetic thing.

• luvourhome
    8 years ago

We had this half bird-half moth creature in one of our hanging baskets. It looked pre-historic.

We also discovered a nest of baby bunny rabbits in a shrub. We were transplanting things and didn't know they were there until we heard unsettling squeaks after the shovel. :( Two didn't make it. The Hubster buried those. We waited for the others to leave the nest a few days later and then moved the rest of our shrubs.

• coffeecrisp
    8 years ago
    Japanese knotweed. Before I knew what it was, I pulled it all out. Big mistake--it got angry and came back with twice the shoots!
  • Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    I thought this was quite weird, cute though
  • Gail Foorman
    7 years ago
    Bears in my hot tub.
  • PRO
    Karen JCM
    3 years ago

I don't have a photo, but about 20 years ago, I grew Big Boy tomatoes in Ohio from seed. I took the 2-foot seedlings and stripped all the leaves off the stem except the very top and buried the whole 2 feet in the soil. By mid-summer I had 8-foot tomato trees! They didn't need any kind of support while growing. The base of each 'tree' was about 5 inches in diameter and fully supported the entire plant.

• Tara
    3 years ago

When I was growing up, my "job" every summer was to take the big ol' green worms off the tomato plants! My dad was organic gardening before it was cool!

• Tara
    3 years ago

Opossums.....

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Bob cat drinking in the pond...10’ from our front door....

• Terri
    3 years ago

Coyote in our pool at midnight Christmas week 2020. He hopped the fence chasing prey and just fell right in. Called the cops and luckily animal control was able to get him out and safely relocated to the buffer zone. We’re in SE Coastal NC and there are a lot of them.