Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amhebert461

Help!! Need to make my home more cozy and inviting.

Amanda Hebert
10 years ago
Please help me!! I am very much design challenged as you can tell from my photos. I feel like my home is more plain and blah and want it to me more warm, cozy and inviting. Any advice you can give would be great! It must be kid (3 kids) and pet (2 dogs) friendly.

Comments (35)

• PRO
    Uppercase Living Ind. Demonstrator Michelle Moore
    10 years ago
    How about adding some vinyl decals? You can choose an inspirational quote or a fun custom design to add a personal touch to your home. They really make your guests feel welcome and your family feel loved! Here are a few examples
    Amanda Hebert thanked Uppercase Living Ind. Demonstrator Michelle Moore
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    Love that Bassett picture Barnheart Gallery.
    Amanda Hebert thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • Amanda Hebert
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Not sure how I have two threads going...but thank you! Yes the pictures defiantly need to do something with that. I am not a big fan of the words either, but I do think putting more on the wall and less on the mantel is a really good idea. Also might move the armoire/TV to the other wall.
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    without seeing the room from another direction, it's a little bit hard to give advice....but....what color are your walls exactly??? If you DO move your tv, you could paint the upper wall of the fireplace and the wall to the left of it a darker shade than what you have going on in the rest of the room or a warmer accent color. Then build some shelving into the left hand space of the fireplace.
    Amanda Hebert thanked mpoulsom
  • Jennifer Grant
    10 years ago
    For starters, decluttering is a definite. Too many small tchotchke items. The fireplace is going to be the focal point of your room. Find a nice area rug with a design that you like and in a size that is proportionate to room size.Bring the furniture away from the walls. It looks like it's all pushed right up against the walls, which many people do but is not flattering. Bringing the furniture away will help with a more intimate feeling.
    Amanda Hebert thanked Jennifer Grant
  • Jennifer Grant
    10 years ago
    If possible, please don't put the tv over the fireplace. That space is best served by a beautiful mirror or artwork.

Is it possible you could share more photos of this space?
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    Check the other thread more photos there.
  • Jennifer Grant
    10 years ago
    Mantles look best when they display minimal items. Think odd number and varying heights. i.e. candlesticks with tapers, an art object and maybe a small tussie of fresh flowers or a tastefully framed photo.
    What do you currently use for lighting in this space?

Personally I am not a huge fan if wall quotes either, simply because I feel they are overused and a d dated.
  • Lynnie
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    First of all, I would add some interesting paint colors. Maybe two different ones. A gold-beige adds warmth. Then you could even have a nice color RED on one wall, Or right over your fireplace. Sounds dramatic but I have seen it work many times. Put the family photos and clock in another area. Add a nice tall vase on one side of the mantel, and about 3 Intersting Candle holders on the other. A couple trinkets that are interesting. Also, a nice Long Painting would add some Drama, mabe an Abstract painting with varying colors.

It looks like your courches are gray. If so, add small red pillows along with yellow and teal. Those are exciting and intersting colors. Even go with a couple patterns.

Get a unique round shape coffee table for the center. AND, a nice rug with a classic pattern such as a persian rug. Once again, with some golds, red and teal.

Go on Overstock for ideas. There prices are good to.
    Amanda Hebert thanked Lynnie
  • Amanda Hebert
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all the comments. Yes clutter will be vacating the mantel. No, I will not put the tv above the fireplace, I am not a fan of that. It looks great in some homes, but I think the area above the fireplace needs something elegant. I like the idea of a new color for the fireplace wall. Our wall color in this area is Castle Path by Bher. This room is open to our kitchen/dining area that is a navy blue. What would be good color for the fireplace? I have attached the additional images from the other thread.
  • Amanda Hebert
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are the pictures....One more thing the couches are a dark tan color
  • Lynnie
    10 years ago
    You do not have to spend a lot of money for art and I agree about something elegant. What sort of art do you like?
    Amanda Hebert thanked Lynnie
  • Amanda Hebert
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We live in the country in Louisiana. I like art the depicts our culture and land areas. Not sure what you call that.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    I know exactly what you mean. I am from Metairie.
  • Amanda Hebert
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Just outside of Alexandria here.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    I will post some possibilities.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    A few more.
  • Amanda Hebert
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Great ideas! Where did you find these?
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    I love navy blue. I don't have it as a wall color but lots go with it. I think regional is a great direction to take your artwork. You can find a piece that speaks to you and base your room off that.
  • Amanda Hebert thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Pull the kitchen blue to the living mantel by hanging that Blue Heron that swizzle posted over the FP. Put the large sofa on the wall with the smaller one in an "L" with it. Move the chair at an angle by the French doors. Hang another picture, maybe the landscape one that is beside the heron, above the sofa. Try the platter of crayfish in the kitchen or dining room. Your seating is overloaded with pillows. Can a few of the matching ones be replaced with your accent color? How about this French Quarter fabric pillow?
    Outdoor French Quarter Pillow, Large, Navy Blue · More Info
  • mveasey
    10 years ago
    The thing that strikes me the most is that the kitchen and dining room seem to have to visual connection. The kitchen cabinets look rather sophisticated, nearly shiplike with the beautiful blue, and the fireplace brick looks fairly cottage-y.
    I love the blue heron art, that would be a start to give a bit of cohesion between the spaces. Maybe adding a little more blue, as in pillows might be nice. Down the road I would possibly consider doing something more upscale with the fireplace hearth, as in cladding the brick perhaps.
  • moogers
    10 years ago
    Can the TV be moved to the empty wall to the right of the fireplace? It looks too crowded to me where it is now.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    You are not too far from my sister, she lives in Natchitoches. I would like to see more balance in your room. Parts seem chock full of furniture and parts are bare. That is not my forte though. Hopefully some less spacious ly challenged houzzers will comment.
  • Amanda Hebert
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I agree Saratoga.. It is crowded on one side and bare on the other. I think we will move the tv and move the furniture around a bit for now. Natchitoches is a lovely town, that is where my husbands family is from.
    I like the Blue Heron picture, but not sure it's the one. Still mulling over that one. Definitely need something that has blue in it. Also I am realizing this morning that the sun coming through the french doors might be an issue. Maybe I should do something like this for the windows and French doors? Thoughts
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    I like your plan. First move your furniture around and declutter, then take new pictures. I like the way those French doors are handled but you have window close by so I would get more feedback on your plan for both. I am worse with curtains than furniture placement. For the art find a piece you love. Find one that has a lot of navy in it as you want it to relate to your kitchen. I do like the way the rod is hung high an d the curtains are simple and not too fussy. Sun streaming through your windows sounds good. CT is cold and dreary today.
  • Lynnie
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I agree, first declutter, then arrange the furniture different ways. Then consider wall color. With art, you can go with more than one painting, depending on which walls you are talking about. I love French doors and think it would look nice. But keep in mind, they take up wall space. Of course, they add light too, so it is a catch 22.

As far as paintings, I also love the dark colored tree with the various blues in the background. Very elegant.

I have had good success with this web-site as well. Here are a few pics you might like. Click on the link to take you to it:

This section is after I typed in Blue Heron:
    http://www.urbanloftart.com/showsearch.aspx?s=Blue%20Heron
    http://www.urbanloftart.com/sargent-26513/an-out-of-doors-study-formerly-known-as-paul-helleu-sketching-with-his-wife-art-print.htm
    http://www.urbanloftart.com/holman-67921/water-garden-art-print.htm
    This would be nice in your dining area:
    http://www.urbanloftart.com/noott-109251/blue-table-art-print.htm

This one is cool and could relate to your area if you are into Jazz Or Blues: http://www.urbanloftart.com/massa-717471/uptown-blues-art-print.htm
  • Lynnie
    10 years ago
    What I mean is if you were thinking of adding another couple French doors; just to clarify my comment above.
  • Al Fikri
    10 years ago
    Overall, your living room look nice, you just need accessorize your home interior with something unique and comfy such as paintings, chandelier and cushions. Hoping this will help you:
    http://dhomedesign.com/accessorizing-your-home-interior-with-chair-cushions/
    http://dhomedesign.com/how-to-choose-the-right-chandelier-for-your-home-decor/
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    I hope you will move the furniture and TV. The room needs a better layout. Move the tv to where you have the chair centered on the wall. Take the tv out of the corner. Put the couch facing the tv and the loveseat facing the fireplace. Then angle the chair where you have it but in front of the lamp facing into the room as a reading place next to the tv.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Art. Declutter. TV on big wall. Color.
  • Kathy Kossnar Fitzmaurice
    10 years ago
    New TV wall unit on the long wall that matches the kitchen. The space it is in should be for your Christmas tree. Pull in your furniture and have a coach table behind at least one of them. Everything seems too spread out or too close together.
  • PRO
    Transilvania Art
    7 years ago

Take advantage of our 20% off sale at www.mixedmediapainting.org and invest in durable art. Thank you.