Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanmotta

Living Room Furniture Arrangement

jeanmotta
10 years ago
Would love suggestions for a more appealing arrangement of the furniture in our Living Room, using either some, all or none of the existing pieces. I definitely plan to remove the china cabinet and would be open to replacing all of the existing furniture if need be. Our home is a Raised Ranch and the living room measures 15 x 13. All advice and ideas are greatly appreciated. See photos. THANK YOU!

Comments (53)

• PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Remove the Demi lune table beside the stair railing and replace it with either two low armless chairs chairs (if they fit with the new sectional), or a long low bench with legs that can be used as extra seating.
    jeanmotta thanked User
  • PRO
    Shuler Architecture
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Classic split level house! Right now, your room doesn't really have a focal point. The way you currently have it furnished, the orientation is toward the floor in the middle of the room. At a minimum, place a nice coffee table there.

I'd seriously think about a sectional that backs up to both the window and railing with a large coffee table. Maybe add a chair that floats around the space if you have enough room. You could then place some cabinets/bookcases and a flat screen on the wall where you currently have the paintings. When I've remodeled this type of space in the past, I've placed a gas insert on this same wall. I've also removed the wall between the kitchen and this space to create one large Great Room scheme. These small changes will change the focus of the room and give this space a more meaningful reason as a destination point in your home.
    jeanmotta thanked Shuler Architecture
  • LoobyGuru
    10 years ago
    I agree that a good starting point would be the centre of the floor. Look for a beautiful rug and an attractive coffee table, and build outward from there.

A phrase I've seen used here on Houzz is 'shop your home' - have a good look at what you've got elsewhere in the house first, try it in this room to get a feel for what could be, what works and doesn't. You may even find you already own the perfect items to transform your room.
    jeanmotta thanked LoobyGuru
  • janragna
    10 years ago
    Do you like your furniture? Is it comfortable? I think you might try moving the pieces around so that the wing chairs face the sofa. Make a comfortable seating group. Leave the hutch where it is. Change out the pillows for something you like, add a throw and see if you like it.
    If the sofa faced the windows you could move the table to the back of the sofa.
    I would do something simple first, then embark on wholesale change if you aren't satisfied.
    jeanmotta thanked janragna
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Hello, Jean! I love your living room! I also love the idea of starting fresh and agree with all of A-List's suggestions.

I thought I would take up the challenge, though, of just working with your two wing chairs. If the sofa and coffee tables were to go, and your window coverings updated a bit, you could refresh your room without starting from scratch. Of course, if you are tired of the colors that's a different story!

So, showing some sofas below: Crate & Barrel's Essex and Sillhouette, Pottery Barn's Windsor sofa in slipcovered linen, and zgallerie's Pierre sofa. It is hard to tell the exact colors in your wing chairs, so getting a good match is crucial. I threw in the zgallerie because the pear green might work, but probably a neutral color is best. In fact, all the sofas I am showing are more for the style I see working, not necessarily the color.

I think your chairs,would look better in front of the railing, across from the sofa. Yes, new coffee and end tables. Perhaps the Demi-lune could sit under the window?
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    One more sofa - the London from MG&BW. I should mention that your art above the sofa shouldn't be wider than the sofa. Hopefully, a new sofa will be wider :))
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Wondering if something like this could work for an area rug:
  • arnieindy
    10 years ago
    Sofa under the window, china cabinet on old sofa wall, two chairs facing sofa,table from railing on back wall where China cabinet was, or under window behind sofa.

Area rug, coffee table, paint out window frames, heavier drapes for side panels
    That should keep you busy for a while
  • arnieindy
    10 years ago
    Oh and remove the large painting by the stairs, as doesn't work with the furniture, and perhaps put the picture that is above sofa there instead
  • jeanmotta
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Many thanks to all of you for your replies. Each of you provided valuable insight and useful ideas. While a sectional is on my list of items to purchase in the future, here are my immediate plans for our Living Room: (Photos Attached)

IMMEDIATE CHANGES:
    •Removed the half lune table to make room for the coffee table. (Photo #1 shows how little floor space is actually available in this room)
    •Placed the second side table on the other end of the sofa. I think this balances out the sofa wall better - do you agree?

SHOPPING FOR:
    •Soft gray sisal area rug
    •Soft gray drapery panels
    •Coffee Table
    •Accent piece to place between the Wing back chairs

I welcome suggestions for the type and style of coffee table (I doubt I could still find one that matches the side tables) as well as something to place between the Wing back chairs.

Photo #2 shows that it's difficult to place furniture on the China cabinet wall which is at the top of the stairs and not centered to the room. You have to leave enough space to walk into the room. Once I bring in the coffee table and rug, I'm may still remove the cabinet from the room, and that will leave a blank wall that will need design ideas!
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Jean, Hello! Keep in mind that if you do move the china cabinet away from that wall, you have a cute little Demi-lune table that will be needing a new home :)))

If you are planning to get a sectional, I'm assuming you intend to change the overall look of,the room to a more casual one? So, would you keep the wing chairs in there? I personally am having trouble picturing the wing chairs working with a sectional.

The challenge right now will be to get these tables you are after without knowing what your sectional will look like. Most likely,though, a round or square coffee table will look best with a sectional. My first choice would be round, for easier manoeuvring around the sectional.

I've posted a couple of rugs - jute boucle in platinum color from West Elm, and jute/wool in natural color from Pottery Barn. Keep in mind that as you look for rugs, you don't necessarily need grey. Something harmonious with grey - but not exactly grey -'will create more interest.

The same is true for coffee tables - the current trend is toward tables that coordinate, but are not a matched set (don't ask me why - I don't make the rules lol!). So, as you look for those tables, don't worry about looking for sets. The round coffee table below is the Tanner, and the grey finished wood pedestal table (to go between your chairs) is the Esme from C&B. While I love the idea of this table between your wing chairs, I stress that having a sectional in the room is going in a completely different direction, and you may end up with a mix of formal and casual that isn't too appealing.

I love your idea of linen panels - I would start with the usual suspects: PB,C&B and Restoration Hardware.

Keep us posted with changes!
    jeanmotta thanked karemore55
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Here are the rugs and tables:
  • jeanmotta
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks! For now, I'll add pieces to work with the remaining items in the room and do a complete makeover with a sectional years down the road.
  • stuntchick
    10 years ago
    slip cover the furniture put the wing chairs facing the sofa . move the sofa tablr to where thr hutch is. sell the hutch. put the large pic above the sofa table. area rug and updated lamps.
    jeanmotta thanked stuntchick
  • Meghan
    10 years ago
    My suggestion for the space is to place the wing chairs to face the couch. This will create more of a conversation area. With a coffee table between. You'll be surprised of how it changes the feel of the room.
    jeanmotta thanked Meghan
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Remove the top from the china cabinet and use the bottom half on your sofa wall with TV or the stairwell art above it. Might add a custom granite top to it. Slipcover the sofa and put it under the window with coffee table 18" from it, area rug underneath. The rectangular end table should be by it, at the side opposite the stairwell. The wing chairs should angle at the railing with the oval end table between them. The demi-lune table moves to the current china wall with a vertical mirror or new piece of art hung 5" above it. Keep wall hung items 75% of the width of the furniture below them for better balance. When you're ready for a new sofa consider a bi-sectional whose chaise can be moved to either side for better arranging.
    jeanmotta thanked decoenthusiaste
  • jeanmotta
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are the chairs in front of the railing facing the sofa. What do you think? This may work better once the china cabinet is removed from the room and an area rug and coffee table is in place. Thoughts?
  • arnieindy
    10 years ago
    Try the sofa under the window and chairs facing it, with china cabinet on sofa wall,sofa table behind sofa in window or on old china cabinet wall. I really think it would cozy up the living room.
    You can move sofa and chairs, without china cabinet, and see if you like it.
  • jeanmotta
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Arnieindy...are you saying to line up the chairs with the end of the bannister? They can't rest against the cabinet wall because I need to leave space for a walkway
  • jeanmotta
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    A slipcover for the sofa is a good idea. Should it be the same color as the chairs?
  • arnieindy
    10 years ago
    No! Place the opposite the sofa, ( in the window) then place the chairs opposite the sofa , though still keeping them in the living room, leaving a walkway behind them, do not place them against any wall, but create a conversation area with the sofa and chairs. When walking into your living room, you will see the back of the two chairs......just try it and see what I mean.
  • arnieindy
    10 years ago
    Your room seems long and thin, and we want to give more of the illusion of a square. If you don't want to move the china canniest to the sofa wall( after you have moved the sofa into the window) put your sofa table there instead, with a lamp, and a picture over it, more to size of the sofa table
  • jeanmotta
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'll give that a try and post pics...stay tuned. and thanks!!
  • arnieindy
    10 years ago
    Oops, your sofa matches with the chairs, and seems in good shape, so I wouldn't bother with a sofa cover at this time. Once the furniture is placed to your sati fixation, then spend the money on an area rug and coffee table, perhaps a pole lamp. I would go with a round coffee table, if you are happy with the way I suggested thou arrange the furniture. That way, the sofa and chairs can share the coffee table
  • arnieindy
    10 years ago
    Can't wait to see it!
  • PRO
    First Impressions Home Staging & Redesign, LLC
    10 years ago
    I think that you are definitely on the right track. I would go with your original idea of removing the china cabinet and re-purposing it somewhere else in your home. It also looks like to me that the table you have beside the couch closest to the window might work well as a coffee table between the chairs and couch. I would then move the other side table (round one) and put it in between the two chairs and add some floor lamps on either side of the couch and get a coordinating lamp for the round table. The focal point in the room is your large windows. Really dress them up with possibly adding a white sheer swag across the top. I would also put the half table on the wall where the china cabinet used to be and place a large mirror over it to help bounce back the light coming in from the window. Add your own personal accessories to the half table and possibly a large plant that drapes off of one side of it. Have fun and contact me if you would like any more suggestions.
    jeanmotta thanked First Impressions Home Staging & Redesign, LLC
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You are very welcome. I hope it all turns out great!! Can't wait to see you post after pictures!!
  • jeanmotta
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's option 3 with sofa in front of window with chairs opposite sofa.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Jean, I think I like your previous switch - with chairs in front of the railing. In option 3, the chairs seem to be closing off the room. And something just isn't looking right, though I can't put my finger on it. It has to do with the railing. I think I preferred using the railing as a backdrop for those chairs. That was pleasing to the eye, I thought.
  • janragna
    10 years ago
    Hi Jean,
    I like the latest version with the sofa in the window. Try moving the chairs more together leaving a small space between them.
    Imagine a coffee table in front of the sofa and situate all the furniture so that a guest can lean comfortably forward and place a teacup on the surface.
    Don't worry about the hutch for now, just focus on your seating area. It is the core of the room.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    This arrangement will work once you have a coffee table and a large area rug to anchor the conversational grouping. Simply square up the two chairs with the more square table between them. The demi-lune and base of the china cabinet (or a credenza) can go to the walls I suggested in the earlier post. I like the railing open and feel the arrangement would be too close in that corner if the chairs are on the railing side.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    It's all about personal preference and what you like the best. You are doing great on moving everything around and posting the pics!! You'll get there!!
  • jacey22
    10 years ago
    I think the chairs look good there, but they are too far apart. You should be able to enter the room next to the railings there doesn't need to be walking room between the two chairs since eventually just a round end table will be there. Think of making a nice conversation "pit" where if someone was talking quietly you could still hear them. They do also look good other way, just didn't want to judge this way yet until chairs were in what I considered to be proper position.
  • arnieindy
    10 years ago
    Ok looking good .perhaps place the sofa table on the old sofa wall. Then angle one of the chairs near it. Place one of your lamps on the sofa table, for the chair to use.
    Then pull the sofa up a bit, not so close to the window,take one of the end tables the one nearer the wall,and place it next to the other chair. Perhaps a fern stand or a pole lamp next to the sofa. Where the table used to be.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I can totally see that demilune table working where the hutch is now, with the stairway art over it. I like the couch on the wall, with different art behind it and the chairs along the railing, facing the couch. The back of the chairs are finished and nice and that is also a consideration when placing something along the railing seen by people as they enter your home. Place the round table and lamp between the two chairs, though as the couch only needs one on the side opposite the window.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Take the flowers down that are over the door. Wonder if just the center picture would work behind the couch if you remove those two outside ones.
  • jeanmotta
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Our Living Room Makeover is complete! Thanks to all the advice and ideas received, our Room is now warm and inviting. We're still waiting for the delivery of a decorative wall mirror to go over the demi lune table that is now on the wall where the China Cabinet used to be, but we're thrilled with the transformation so far. Comments and feedback are welcome.
  • Catherine Gibson
    10 years ago
    Those gray curtains really make the room! I like those side tables but wish there was a lamp for between the chairs, they are a wonderful place to curl up with a book. Perhaps a stand reading lamp just at the height of the chair? Everything looks really great but, I do feel that the scale of the artwork above the sofa might be a bit oversized. It just feels a shade too big. If you have funds to replace it and re-purpose it, then it might really look great in the entry over the stairs or split between the stairs and dining room. That would help connect the three spaces. For some reason, I keep seeing a set of four dark charcoal drawings, a repro of Miro or Picasso, something very linear, graphic, dark grey/back and creamy whites in a simple black frame set in a 2 x 2 arrangement. That might help add a vertical aspect to what is essentially a very horizontal room. the curtains hanging so nice and high help with drawing the eye upwards too.What a great in-place renovation and shopping in your own home! it looks so nice.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Nice improvement with rug, drapes and coffee table. For my taste, I would remove the picture above the sofa. Put both wing chairs opposite the sofa so that everyone can use coffee table and you've created a conversation area. At least put the front legs of at least one wing chair on the rug to look like a grouping. Furniture lined up against walls gives the look of a doctor's waiting room. I'd pick a color from the wing chairs, maybe a deep blue, to drape over the back of the sofa in a nice throw or you could do cream to tie in with the wing chairs. Get rid of those pillows that match your chairs. They don't work. Buy something with a little stripe that has grey, blue and cream and maybe a solid pillow in navy. I would minimize the pink sofa color. Maybe even a neat quilt with a gemetric pattern would look good on the back of your sofa. Even if you don't hang anything above the sofa it would look better than that pink and black picture which really detracts from the nice elements in your room.
  • jeanmotta
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Rainymorning: Our home is a Raised Ranch. As you enter the foyer you then walk up the stairs which lead into the living room. By leaving the space in front of the railing open you have a lovely view into the room as you walk up the stairs and it makes the room feel open and larger. When both wing back chairs are in front of the railing it creates a very boxed in feeling and all you see is the back of chairs when entering our home. I love the wing back chairs positioned as I have them with the elegant drapery providing such a beautiful backdrop for them. The chairs are angled towards the sofa to enhance conversation, but also to create a nice nook for reading. The artwork is my own photography printed on canvas and I love seeing it in that room.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Awww, Jean you did good! Congratulations! The grey curtains and rug really ground the space. Very, very pretty!

Since that is your original photography (which I somehow missed in earlier postings!), can you do one more pic and arrange them in a four square? This would resolve the issue with them being wider than the sofa?

And I also love the idea suggested above of adding a navy pillow to that sofa. It would create some interesting tension. And while you're at it, maybe a textured pillow too? Place one of each behind your flowered pillows.

Good job!
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Catherine, totally agree!
  • User
    10 years ago
    The bottom line is if you are happy with the room that's everything. If it feel right to you than it is.
  • arnieindy
    10 years ago
    So much nicer, than it was! Looks much cosier and home like!Good for you
    jeanmotta thanked arnieindy
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I have to smile when I see what you have done here.....look at your first post and then your last one. AMAZING!
    jeanmotta thanked abbyjean
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Would you be ok with one lamp beside the couch? Maybe try the one closest to the window to put between the chairs so it will be there for that reading area?
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Jean, I think the perfect lamp for your chair area is the Julian apothecary lamp from Ballard Designs.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You did an AWESOME job!!
    jeanmotta thanked First Impressions Home Staging & Redesign, LLC
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    What a terrific job. For under $100, you could add a velvet navy cushion and replace the artificial flowers for some live orchids. Consider painting the trim on the window, either the same as the baseboard or in the same colour as the wall in a pearl finish- would take your room to the next level along with more modern lamps. Love the curtains, they have transformed your room. Great job, love your photography too!
    jeanmotta thanked User