Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjtony

I'm loosing sleep about how to design my tile in the shower :-(

mjtony
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I had decided to continue my accent tile in the shower at the same height than the wainscot on the bathroom wall & putting a darker tile above the accent. After I measured the quantities & ordered my tiles I decided to order as inverted "T" grab bar like in this picture
Showroom · More Info
but 24" x 24". (3rd on the bottom)

I figured it would be easy to change my design. Unfortunately the plumber, at my request, had already installed the control on the back wall where I could reach it without getting into the shower. I thought I was going to be able to integrate it into the design but now I'm freaking out. I showed my choice of tile & my plan to 2 designers (before adding the T) and they thought it would look great & said not to be afraid to use a light & dark tile separated by the glass/stone accent. It looked fantastic at the store but now that I'm about to put it on the wall I'm so scared.

I had a friend put it on the computer & granted the rendering do not give justice to the 2 tiles & the accent. The brown tile is not as dark as on the picture but still much darker than the lighter tile. The accent is a beautiful glass & stone arched rectangular mosaic and a thin black liner.

On the first rendering it's the option of the accent same height than the wainscot. I ordered the perfect quantity of each tiles for this design. BTW, the T bar is the wrong dimension it should be 24" x 24". Also this rendering is not showing the niches, bench & hand shower that will be on the left wall.

On the 2nd it's the option with the accent higher in the shower but not going up (vertical) like in the picture because that's horrible especially because I'm using 12" x 24" tile. So wainscot on bathroom wall 36"H & in shower about 60". If I do it this way I'll be short on lighter tile & I'll have too much darker one. But I could resolve that.

BTW, I will have a bench like in the 2nd picture & a grab bar/hand shower on that left wall. I'm also getting 2 niches but they will be designed differently than on that picture. I know it looks busy on that wall but I need all those things there.

Going back to the tile design, neither ways look right to me & I have no idea how to resolve it. I'm driving my husband & myself crazy by not finding the right way and I'm running out of time to decide. It was such a mistake to change plans after the rough plumbing was done. Now I'm questioning everything, where to put the accent, the choice of the tile, ... I'm so scared that it won't look right.

My husband thinks I'm making too much out of this & he would pick the 1st design. I'm sorry for all the rambling. Can anyone help?

Comments (9)

• mathomson5
    10 years ago
    There is no wrong choice --- Regarding the plumbing controls and integrating them into the design - I would ask the designers or the tile store to help you with that issue if there is time. Your plumber may also have an idea since s/he should have inquired before placing the controls what tile design was planned for the shower. The controls will look fine as long as they are either all in or all out of the accent. If they are half in and half out, you could increase the width of the accent, or raise or lower it a few inches. Or create a bulging square/rectangle around the control so that it is all in the accent. However, this would be too busy in my opinion. I assume the controls are at the height for someone who is in a chair and/or has reduced mobility. I believe this is 30-36" (table height to counter height) but whatever the standard for handicapped access, it is ultimately a personal choice in one's own home. As for losing sleep -- I finally selected a running brick design to be installed vertically for the line of jets -- I knew whatever placement I selected it would be "off" -- unless I made it easy for the plumber! Again, good luck -- there are no wrong choices.
    mjtony thanked mathomson5
  • mjtony
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much for reassuring me :-) You're right 1/2 way through my process I decided to create an "aging in place" design. Thanks for reminding me, it gives me a better perspective. We didn't go for a curb less design but grab bars in different areas.

All the points you make about the "horizontal line" & the contrasting color seat are excellent.

We really want a fixed seat & we chose this folding one. We already received it & it looks beautiful & very sturdy.

I haven't received my light tile yet but I have the darker one. I think I will try to lay it tonight on the floor & see how much of it we would really feel comfortable seeing in the shower.

I forgot to mention that the drawing don't show the mosaic we choose for the shower floor. Here it is
  • mathomson5
    10 years ago
    That's really very nice tile for the floor; I have a 5/8" mosaic for the floor of the one shower that is complete and it has lots of grip. Be sure that your grout either includes or has added to it a product that makes sealing the grout unnecessary. By the carton the grout with the additive costs about twice as much as regular grout; and the additive costs about $30 per carton. So it is less expensive to buy the more expensive grout with the additive, but it does not come in all colors. I think you will be happy with this bath and this shower for a long time -- I also like your seat because it has a warm wood back as well as seat. For our bathroom, I would not have trusted a contractor to install a curbless shower without help from an architect; but it fits in well with the drain along the side of the shower, that will also pick up the drip from the steam vent on the same wall. Your colors are the same ones that I am using in our master bath -- light creams and taupes with dark brown. [See Crossville Empire series in Palais Taupe and Parisian White] Most of the shower will be in Parisian White and for the floor of the bath and shower (::curbless::) and ceiling of the shower we will use the basketweave -- it's less than stone and easy to clean. The color pallete is also very soothing; like a latte --

Your darker tile may restrict your color choices for paints and fabric (towels) but I really like it. I assume you also have a recessed light in your shower, or right outside of it, and that your contractor has ordered the shower glass that is manufactured with a product that reduces soap scum build up by sheeting the water off the surface. It's been around since at least 2005. Again, it costs a little more, but saves labor and product later on. If not, I am told that the product sold for this purpose at Home Depot is as good as more expensive varieties. With the teak seat, you may wish to consider a teak "rug" outside of your shower -- I don't know how these are made to stay in place, but you can even create a slight recess into which they fit. Also don't forget the hooks for robes and towels near the shower! Are you using bronze or nickel or stainless steel or ??? fixtures? A mix? I ordered extra towel racks and am placing one at a slightly lower height than usual for access from a chair, which permits another rack above it -- even the towel sheets are only 30" long when folded over a towel rack. \\\\

I was advised NOT to buy a towel warmer because they need replacing every two or three years.

I just ordered my lights -- feeling sticker shock -- three bathrooms -- five lights. I have ordered lights before with which I have been disappointed so I just stopped the anxiety by ordering all from a brand I have seen and trust. Hudson Valley Lighting -- they are known for their tube lights and the one I ordered for the master bath is more expensive because each light has 200 watts each - only two bulbs, and a common bulb size, E26 (medium, available in CFL). My husband nixed the reproduction gas/electric combo -- it had only 160 watts -- I also ordered the Garland for the two hall baths -- also 100 watts per light - downlights -- five (500 watts) for the 60" vanity and three (300 watts) for the 36" vanity.

Are you going to install a heated floor? Tub? Two sinks? I did not buy a medicine cabinet with the night light because I thought it would break -- and it does not provide much light. Night lights are important everywhere as we age in place.
  • mjtony
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow! Sounds like you're doing a lot of changes at your house also. Your tile choice looks great!

We already requested epoxy grout. We realized it's more expensive but it's worth it for us & our tiler has a lot of experience with it so we're confident it will come out nice.

Our seat is actually in chestnut. We were told it was even better than teak in a shower. A teak "rug" might still look nice. It's a good idea & we might consider it.

All my fixtures will be chrome. We did get a nice towel warmer 44"H x 24"W. We figure if we get one we might as well get one that will fit both our bath towels & it even has a hook on each side for our robes. I sure hope ours last more than 2-3 years. Crossing our fingers. We already received it & it looks great! Yes we're getting heated floors.

No tub. We have a tub in another bathroom in the house so we opted for a walk in shower in this one

I know what you mean by getting sticker shock with the lighting. I went through all sorts of drama with that too about one week ago. I couldn't decide between sconces, bars or just can light. After getting several advices on this forum I decided on 3 light sconces over each mirror. I narrowed down my choices to 2 that are both in stock at my local Lowes. Once the granite & the mirrors are installed I'll get them both & decide which ones look best with the overall look.

I'm starting to calm down regarding my tile design in the shower. Thanks to your responses :-) I've attached a picture of both tiles with the glass/stone accent in between. The only difference is I won't have the black liner between the light tile & the mosaic. What you see there is the black board that the tile sample from the store is glued on.

I've attached a computer generated overview of my vanity wall. I don't think these will be the sconces but they will be similar.

I would love to see pictures of yours :-)
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    There are so many wonderful options for grab bars. If you are dealing with designers give them the specs and see what they can research for you. Please don't worry it will all get sorted. I've included other types but this should be the bath professionals job to make sure you are safe and that they don't muck up your tiles!! Also with the prices they charge for these things, talk to your plumber he can make one for you that will fit properly or retro fit the one you ordered.
    mjtony thanked lucidos
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    Another thought, your situation may be easily resolved by installing an decorative plate behind the bar or an escutcheon.
    mjtony thanked lucidos
  • mjtony
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We're done & we love it! Here's the picture of the design we picked. Thank you all for all your words of wisdom & comforting me when I was getting cold feet at the last minute about my design & I was about to have a nervous breakdown ;-)

We've been using our new bathroom for about 10 days now & we love it!!!
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    Your tiler needs to be commended from the view you offered he did an amazing job. So glad it's all behind you...ENJOY...you did great!!