Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vanelynn

Need ideas for an investment property

Bunny
10 years ago
I need ideas of how I should remodel this bathroom. This is my first investment property so I'm not looking to spend too much money. I don't want to remove the bath since it will be over my budget. The bath is beige. The walls will be redone but I'm thinking of putting tile only in the shower area although the tile is in good conditions in the entire bathroom. The sink and toilet will be removed. What ideas/colors would you suggest I go with to make the bathroom look bigger?

Comments (10)

• zmhome
    10 years ago
    I too think it would be a mistake to keep that tub. As a potential buyer, it would make me wonder what other corners you cut... Replace the tub and toilet with new basic ones from Lowes or Home Depot, some inexpensive, basic tile (like subway tile) and stain the vanity and add nice light fixture.
    Bunny thanked zmhome
  • whitneypack
    10 years ago
    To increase the longevity of your overall investment and this remodel, go classic. White subway tile with dark grey grout. New standard white tub and toilet. If you put low-flow toilet in, you become eligible for tax deductions. Simple dark grey square or rectangular tiles on the floor. Your vanity looks ok from what I can see. Update by sanding & painting white. Make sure the lighting is good, outlets are all GFIs. Will cost you a bit of money to do it right, but it will make significant difference in what you're able to rent the place for!

Best of luck!
    Bunny thanked whitneypack
  • whitneypack
    10 years ago
    Oh, and brushed nickel is the current standard for faucets, knobs, etc. Hope it all turns out well for you!
    Bunny thanked whitneypack
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Clean it all with bleach and water. Replace the faucets sink/tub/. Frame the mirror with molding. Paint the vanity black and then get a great shower curtain.
    Harmony Shower Curtain · More Info
    Fleetwood Drive Addition · More Info
    Bunny thanked JudyG Designs
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    I'm assuming this is a rental and not a flip. For the right price, tenants aren't going to be terribly fussy as long as things are clean and in working order, so don't buy lesser quality just so it looks better. You'll only have to replace or repair it more quickly. Put the money in a new light fixture, outlets and maybe some storage shelves over the toilet. New faucets. Clean, clean, clean- hang a colorful shower curtain.
    Bunny thanked brickln
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This will be a flip. I will also be redoing kitchen completely so I didn't want to spend too much money on the bathroom. I was told that bathroom will be expensive
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Have the tub recoated by one of those businesses that do it, like GetAGrip (not affiliated, just a satisfied customer). Get a new toilet in white. When flipping a house, new toilets are probably the best investment in making a bathroom look fresh and clean for relatively no money (about $100). All finishes in white.
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    Are you sure the kitchen needs a total rehab? For me bathrooms can be a bigger deal breaker if they appear to need a lot of work. I'd put a little money into this one on a flip. The cost of painting the kitchen cabinets vs. buying new ones could make up the difference, perhaps?

Minimally, leave just the tub area tiled, and re-do the floor in hex or other smaller tiles incorporating the color of the tub with white. New faucets all around. Get an undermount sink so the mis-match is less distracting; paint the cabinet. New framed mirror and light fixture.

Here's a tile that would blend the fixtures and wall tiles, and adds a modern gray to the mix that you could use for the cabinet and/or walls (the royal grey/almond/white one):

http://www.besttile.com/index.php?mact=Products,cntnt01,details,0&cntnt01category=Mosaics&cntnt01pagelimit=12&cntnt01summarytemplate=Category-Line-List&cntnt01productid=225&cntnt01returnid=124&cntnt01returnid=124
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    Is the budget more like $5K for the bathroom or $1K?

What condition is the tub in? Is it cast iron or something else?