Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winnbb

Wood Paneling, Drab Fireplace, Faded Floors

winnbb
10 years ago
My husband bought our house 4 years before we got married when we just started dating. Now that we're married, I want his home to feel like my home too. The den is the center of our house, and we use it the most. I have 3 issues with this room: the wood paneling, drab fireplace and faded floors.

We have to do something about the dark and dated wood paneling. It feels fake, it looks fake and it does nothing to add life or charm to the house. The adjoining living room is painted a brilliantly bold blue, which I love, but how can I change the look of the den to feel more connected with the living room? Do I remove the paneling? Paint over it? Cover it with wallpaper?

I'm considering painting the fireplace, but we have plans to move in 8-10 years, so I don't know if that's a wise move down the road when we get ready to sell. Personally I think it would be a good idea to update the fireplace with paint, but my husband is not so sure. Also I'm not sure what the "mantel" over the fireplace is supposed to be. It looks like a finished piece of drift wood, but it's not functional because the texture is so uneven that you can't put anything on it. Am I missing something about its appeal or should I figure out how to remove it? If I kept it, would painting the fireplace help?

The floors are also faded and need to be refinished. When we tackle that project, I want a rich, chestnut stain. Do I start my design plan with the floors?

Basically I'd like to hear people's opinions on how to make this room feel less like a hunting lodge and more connected with our bold living room.

Comments (7)

• winnbb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for your insight! I'd much rather paint over the wood paneling than have it removed.
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Paint the wood panelling and as a nod to hubby, let's wash the brick with a tonal neutral of the wall color. That way you aren't stuck with the undertone of the existing brick (which is very camel / brown / may fight with your blues). Since you showed us blue and yellow next door, and say you hope for chestnut floors, there are a couple of ways to head that will work nicely. I would suggest a neutral camoflauge tone - with a little green underneath it will play beautifully with the warm wood you want, the bright blue you love and the wood mantle (which you should keep).
    http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7531-canvas-tan/ SW canvas tan for all the panelling - the room will feel a ton brighter and yet, be classic and warm. For the fireplace, wash it with a quart of this cut in half by water - sw cargo pants http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7738-cargo-pants/

These colors are neutrals but with warmth . . like your favorite stone khakis, they fit right in, bring in light and also provide contrast back to the white trim.
    winnbb thanked libradesigneye
  • PRO
    Jessy Krol Designs LLC
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I will address both of your paint fears with a very real story about my MOST temperamental, MOST difficult, MOST badgering client EVER that fights all of my suggestion (but that loves it all in the end) and who I can never fire. MY MOTHER. It took me three years to get her to paint the brick wall and wood mantle white. Now it is Georgian beautiful instead of 60's drab . In her cape style beach house, it took about three potent Margaritas, but those knotty pine paneled walls are now crisp white...it took an additional three Zanax to paint the trim, beams, mantle and doors black and lay down an inexpensive black and white vinyl checkboard floor in the back entry hall-- all a backdrop to a camel sofa, white linen drapes, leopard pillows (yeah we are JERSEY) and black and white art and it is a bright happy like a mini Hamptons style space that makes you want to put lemons in everything and invite Ina Garten over for dinner. GO FOR IT!!!! NO ONE LIKES DRAB!! Fresh and Happy is what sells.

MInd you we still have our funny little battles:

She sticks shells on everything which i remove when she is gone

I keep hanging these antique neoclassical make nude prints, which she removes when I am gone....it cracks us both up

And for all of you that have read this far---my Mother is knocking down and rebuilding this house this coming year. Pray for me.
    winnbb thanked Jessy Krol Designs LLC
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Painting all will give you the change you crave, and you may even come to love the rustic mantel - get a simple sculpture and use the quake hold stuff to make it stay on top of the mantel, then hang one piece of art with a screw drilled into the grout joint . . .maybe something with your cobalt tones in it . .
    winnbb thanked libradesigneye
  • pitbulls
    10 years ago
    I like your fireplace with the rustic mantle.I would paint the brass strip on the fireplace black to modernize it. I would also paint the paneling a white, off white or whitewash it. Get an area rug under the coffee table that has some blues in it to tie it to the next room.Add some throw pillows with same colors.
    winnbb thanked pitbulls
  • Craig CraigMDesigns
    10 years ago
    Love what Libradesigneye suggests, very bright and attractive. If the wash on the brick doesn't work paint it the trim color. Can't tell the color of the couch but it looks like a celedon green which would be nice in the paired room. Add more soft greens to play off the blue in a rug and drapes, and mix in accessories in corals and greens or golds for punch against the dark blue next door. Should be lively and homey
    winnbb thanked Craig CraigMDesigns