Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10384227

Would You Rather: Sell Your Home or Improve Your Home?

User
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Depending on the situation, it can be appropriate to either sell your home on the market or keep it and just add on home improvements. Whichever your selection may be, the decision-making process isn't always an easy one.

Which choice would you prefer to go with?

Vote and share your stories with us in the Comments below!
Sell
Improve

Comments (17)

• User
    10 years ago
    Wow, improvements are popular!
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, very much so far!
  • User
    10 years ago
    I am selling! For one, I am moving to the West Coast. But even if I weren't moving I would not want to improve my current home beyond the average of the neighborhood, which would really limit me at this point.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @jn3344: Thank you for your feedback.. congratulations on the new house, too!
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Definitely improve! The cost of moving is horrendous when you take into account land transfer tax, legal fees, interest rates, commission fees, moving/transport costs! I would rather spend that money into making our home into our family dream home!
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Final fix ups planned to sell. Will downsize using equity.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @anitanazar: That's a great way to look at it as well, especially when you're aiming for a "dream home."

@dclostboy: Sounds like you've got it all planned out.. best of luck on the sale!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Improve. Ongoing plans and a long list.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @chookchook2: Sounds like a great start to your list!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Depends on a lot of parameters. Some places I know will slap you with horrendous taxes and really stringent inspections... if you do 'new construction' instead of a remodel, I've seen houses ripped to a small piece left and a new home built around a small inner wall piece, to make it a 'remodel' instead.

Overbuilding your neighborhood, you will never get out of it what you put into it. It's fine if this is what you want to do, just realize that end fact.

Home prices in the whole area have risen so dramatically that it may be more practical to add on to what you have instead of moving to different/bigger/better.

And other places, home values took such a bath that bigger and better is affordable IF you could unload what you have now.

As some others have mentioned, having put so much into it, not going to leave.

Not willing to put any more into what you have, moving to something more like what you want and save the time and labor; may be an option. Depends on market (what's available) as well.

Me, I hit my 'last move I ever want to do' point. I am not moving again, I am not caring about my resale, as I plan to use here until I'm no longer able, and redoing things to suit ME and to aid with aging in place. In some ways that is so freeing... being able to do what I want, and can afford.
  • curacaoblue
    10 years ago
    Like my neighbors too much to leave
  • User
    10 years ago
    I am overdue for a move:)
  • PRO
    AhmadDoors
    8 years ago

Depends on your situation. Could vary. a lot of factor. LEt us know if we can assist.

Farhan

AhmadDoors.com

• chiflipper
    8 years ago

When I am widowed (sorry men, the odds are such) I will build a 900 square foot ICF home in my current neighborhood. One large room with a bath on an acre. I wouldn't leave my neighbors for a million dollars.

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

Feb 2014 post.

• jyi2004
    8 years ago
    I'm making improvements right now but would recommend buying instead.