Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodgolly7

New Construction needs decorating advise: Eat in Kitchen

goodgolly7
10 years ago
H E L P : on a budget and need color before I flip out. I own the table, 4 chairs & blank walls. The table can seat 6-8 with the leaf in it. The 5 x 8 ft rug was on sale and is returnable. I'd like to decorate this eat in kitchen with a rug, drapes and something on the other wall by the backdoor to add color. We don't want to paint the entire kitchen just yet but I am open to stenciling or painting an accent wall. This is a new home with NO color on walls so we have a clean slate. Cabinets are dark, granite countertop, and a stone backsplash. No door hardware on cabinets, etc. My fave color pallet is from Better Homes & Garden May 2013 - lime/mustard green, a blue/turquoise color, cream, violet or raspberry.

What size and shape rug do I need for this space and furniture?
Should I paint the table base and legs of the furniture?
I can not stand the dinky light fixture - rectangle? Square? Chandelier?
Drapery or valence ideas? Fabrics - color pallet ideas

Photos are attached and I just brought the rug home in hopes it would be the right size for our living room. Boy, was I off....

Comments (32)

• studio10001
    10 years ago
    I repainted your walls in lime, your chairs in turquoise and the table top black, per your palette request. Is this what you were thinking?
  • Melissa E
    10 years ago
    I really like the rug, it's just too small. I think a very pale blue green would look nice in this area. What about Carolina Inn Club Aqua?
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Hey studio, I think I found her a rug to go with those lime green walls!

First rug is Pier One. Second is Grandin Road. They are indoor-outdoor rugs, which will stand up to everyday use at a kitchen table.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Rug is definitely too small. Put the leaf in the table - measure the table length and width - and add 4 feet to both measurements. That's the minimum rug size that will work, no smaller.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Goodgolly, You are probably better off with an 8X10 rug, and I would turn it the other way - so that it runs parallel to the back wall.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    I like those, too. The rug can't get much bigger and still be centered under the table, so if you are intent on an area rug, measure for a 6x9 going the other direction.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Or, we could get down and funky with a raspberry colored rug (this one is not an indoor/outdoor) - same turquoise table and chairs that studio1001 painted. Maybe scratch the lime green walls though. With this combo, I would do white walls. Maybe an Otomi drum shade overhead though? Or the rainbow silk one from Shades Of Light.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Ah, you are right, studio. I did not notice the door there.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    8x10 would be nice, but I don't think she can squeak it in - it looks like she'll gain some flexibility by the chair not being able to move fully back on the left. Get that measuring tape out, goodgolly?
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    I'd probably do away w the rug, and spend the money on roman shades, but am not finding the colourway for under 100 per yet. Back in a bit.
  • goodgolly7
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Great ideas but we Can't paint the walls now. They have to remain white for now :( Could you post pics on adding color through drapes or curtains? I am loving all the feedback and photos
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Found this fabric on Drape Baby on etsy. Says custom curtains starting at $160. Per pair. Not sure what a Roman shade would cost.

This would look great with the turquoise table/chairs and a B&W chevron indoor-outdoor rug. Again, white walls.
  • goodgolly7
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    we don't have to have a rug since it will be tight fitting in 8x10
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    You could pair that combo with something like this for chandy.
  • goodgolly7
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    very nice karemore55 and funky
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Yeah, I'd skip the rug if one the right size for the table won't fit. Nice lights posted by karemore55 just above!
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Agree about Roman shades. They would look really nice!
  • goodgolly7
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If we do fabric Roman shades do I get rid of the white wooden blinds that are already there? Or does the Roman shade hang over the blinds? What would drapes look like on those windows?
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Hi goodgolly, Yes, studio1001 is right - the colors in your kitchen don't lend themselves as well to the raspberry colors. You could stick with the turquoise/green/yellow combo she recommended, and hopefully find something you love.

Yes, curtains will certainly work. One curtain you could take a look is the ikat print panel from Pier One. It has some red in it, so not raspberry, but maybe more suited to the co,ors of your kitchen. Alternatively the etsy vendor mentioned above, along with many others, will sew panels for you at a reasonable price.

I wonder if you should scratch the rug idea and just go for the colorful curtains? That, and a great pendant, would give huge impact in your space.

Posting a colorful drum shade below, as well as a fun macrame one, both from Shades Of Light. If you were to go with a colorful drum shade, you would want a solid or maybe a chevron pattern for your curtains. Or, with multi-colored curtains like the Pier One panels, just do a textured light shade.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Here are a couple more fabric samples from the Drape Baby site. Lots more to choose from!
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    This fabric looks like it work well with the suzani drum shade.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    And here is a other colorful ready made panel - from Pier One again.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    The Roman shades would replace the wooden blinds. If you want to keep those, drapes would be a fine choice.
  • PRO
    Beautiful Habitat: Design & Decoration
    10 years ago
    Draperies! Just the addition of drapery panels would go a long way in this space, adding color, texture and sophistication.
    goodgolly7 thanked Beautiful Habitat: Design & Decoration
  • goodgolly7
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone. Ann, I do want to keep the wood blinds for privacy. What about a round rug or are those old fashioned?
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Hi goodgolly, Round rugs aren't dated, but I don't think one would work in your space, would it? It looks like your table is oval, not round?
  • PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    What you need is an 8x8 square rug. And avoid edge treatments in the kitchen area...attracts way too much dirt & crumbs get trapped in the fringe.

This is a great Galbraith & Paul pendant...Zinnia Blossom pattern...

http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/product/detail.do?productGroup=23137&catalog=room&category=rm_lighting&subcategory=fl_light_pendant

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Couristan-Recife-Garden-Lattice-Natural-Green-7-ft-6-in-x-7-ft-6-in-Square-Area-Rug-10165016076076Q/100679648?N=5yc1vZarjgZ1z1415z
    goodgolly7 thanked OasisDesign&Remodeling
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I don't think the rug shape matters much as long as there is at least 2' of rug beyond the table wherever a chair would be placed. My dining table always has one leaf in it and three chairs down each side. The width of the rug works for that. I've thought of adding end chairs but haven't because the rug isn't long enough to provide that extra 2 ft on each end. Now, if you only use the table leaf once a year or so, I don't think it's critical that the 2' on every side rule apply for the table with the leaf, but if you use the leaf often, you should determine rug size based on the size of the table with the leaf. Sorry, I rambled:) Looking at the situation, maybe the 8' square option is good. It is also important that the rug and table can be centered under the light. If you can't accomplish all that, I'd skip a rug. Measure, measure, measure:)
    goodgolly7 thanked Ann
  • goodgolly7
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The table is approx. 67 long and 48 wide as I use it (with the leaf)
  • goodgolly7
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The breakfast room is 14' x 10'
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    So that size table requires an 8x10 rug (no smaller), but can that size rug be centered under the light?