Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyjoygarden

Inspirational gravel steps

Amy Henderson
10 years ago
Please tell me type / size of gravel used on these steps. I'm making some gravel-paved "ramped steps" and like the texture here. My "risers" will not be as stunning, though. Will use reclaimed granite from re-built wall.
Rock Wall, Steps, Bamboo · More Info

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Ross NW Watergardens
    10 years ago
    It's what we call 1/4" minus gravel. It is basically a very fine gravel with lots of stone dust in it. And the risers are reclaimed basalt from the blasting that was needed to create this lot- so yours' should look just as nice :-)
  • Amy Henderson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have to get myself to the stone supplier to see what we have here in lower NY state. Would you please tell me how deep you go down, what larger gravel layer below, if any, and how deep the finish gravel is? Basically, what's your construction specification. How high does the stone riser have to stand proud of the gravel to keep it more or less in place? BTW, THANKS!!!!
  • PRO
    Ross NW Watergardens
    10 years ago
    We usually do 3"-4" of a larger gravel underneath- but it could easily be done with just the finer gravel. We then do 2"-3" of the 1/4" minus gravel over the top. It compacts very hard, so the riser top and gravel can basically be level to each other.
    Amy Henderson thanked Ross NW Watergardens
Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm