Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_delgadillo

I'm lost on when to get my garden plants, or start to grow them.

I live in NW Washington and we've been hit with rain, and rain and rain. I can't get my newly acquired (bought our house in Nov. 2013) garden space ready so I'm at a loss as to what to get started with. Can anyone offer suggestions...

Comments (5)

• bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    Hi, Michelle...1st) You need to figure out what "hardiness zone" you are in and 2)when your last probable frost date is.

Then....gather some photos and a sketch and post a new dilemma under "design dilemma" (you have this under "other"). The "other" category does attract much attention and you'll get a lot of responses under "design dilemmas"
    Michelle Delgadillo thanked bubbasgma
  • hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    I'm in Snohomish county, and have had a garden for years so I'll share our experience with you.

First of all, what's your yard like? Do you have good drainage, or are you in one of the thousands of developments are were built in reclaimed marshes like ours? If you have a good drainage and basically a dry yard, you should be able to plant peas by the middle of next month--if you plant earlier, the seeds are going to rot--been there, done that too many times to count.

If your soil is extremely wet like ours, all you can do is wait till it starts to dry out. We have a raised garden, but even that doesn't mean we can plant any earlier if it's been raining like it has the last couple of days.

One thing we do is put our tomotoes in pots under the covered portion of our deck. We buy starts from the local farm Co-Op as soon as they get them around the first of May, and since it's still coolish, we put visqueen around the rings to act as a greenhouse and keep them warm. By doing this, we end up with 6' plants with lots of fruit. My husband uses a special tomato fertilizer on them too.

Between now and when the weather dries out enough to plant, get your seeds started in paper cups.
    Michelle Delgadillo thanked hayleydaniels
  • Michelle Delgadillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We live in an older community in Lake Marcel, Carnation. The homes are spread apart and our property backs up to a green belt. There is a slight incline toward the home & we do have a raised bed. There seems to be good drainage. When I go out and look around, the only standing water is what's in my driveway. But that's another issue. I'm happy to hear that I have at least another month before I go planting anything. I still need to get out there an rip out the grass/hay or whatever has been growing there. It's not been mowed so it looks like hay. :). I will also be able to amend my soil (hopefully) in that time. This being my first year back at gardening I'm not planning on taking it ALL on at once. I've got to establish a compost area, build a garden shed and maintain life on a limited budget. I'll post my sketches and speak of my deer issues in the design dilemma next. Thanks for your help.
  • Michelle Delgadillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    bubbasgma, I did take photos (lots of them), as well worked up a sketch (in PowerPoint) and my zone is different depending upon which book you read. I think that's silly, but that's what I'm finding. My Sunset Western Garden Book says my zone is 4. As well states that April is the month (shoulder month) to the growing month. I'm glad I'm a bit ahead of the thinking process. I having had to think about this for the last 10 years. We just bought a house in Nov. so my green fingers are getting anxious to get my garden filled. I'm also reading an organic gardening book and learning so much more about soil and environment. Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to post in Design Dilemma next time.
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    Sounds like you have some great fun ahead of you. I'm zone 5. We aren't clear of frost until mid May, and then some. I have too much shade for any vegetable gardening. But love daylilies and hostas!

Several of our local nurseries offer no cost/low cost design services. Especially during the off-season. Might be fun to check that out while your waiting. lol!
    Michelle Delgadillo thanked bubbasgma