Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amdepew

Art or no art above high, upholstered headboard?

amdepew
10 years ago
I keep going back & forth about whether it not I need to add art above the high, upholstered headboard in our master bedroom. Also, I am unsure what style/colors of artwork to choose. Our style is a blend of contemporary & traditional. Thanks!

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Gail Barley Interiors, LLC
    10 years ago
    What strikes me most about this picture is not the space above the bed but the windows. Are you considering adding draperies? The bed, tables and lamps look great but the windows look unfinished. I think if the windows were dressed, you wouldn't need anything above the bed.
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- The headboard speaks for itself . Nothing needed above .
  • PRO
    RCS Fine Art
    10 years ago
    I love the wall color. Brown is a wonderful, sophisticated color to live with.
    I deal with the space above the headboard time and time again. I have come to the conclusion that mounting art above the headboard presents a finished and professional appearance and works especially well with a formal bedroom such as yours.
    Look for a work on paper that has some white or cream background with the image being made from pastel, charcoal, or washes of color. This will integrate the artwork with the serenity of the room but the light colored page will help it stand out.
    Consider china trade paintings on paper or paintings of landscapes or animals on scrolls.
    Frame the work in something with a bit of gilt. The whole frame doesn't have to be a metallic gilt just a touch will keep the artwork special and a bit glamorous.
  • PRO
    PLATEMARK DESIGN
    10 years ago
    Do a small-scaled triptych, square or rectangular in landscape orientation, with colors that lift off the wall. It won't overpower the bed.
  • amdepew
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for great feedback & ideas! I appreciate it!!
  • PRO
    3523studio
    9 years ago
    I personally don't think you need artwork. Sometime you just need to see how it look like. i have made a mockup on how it will look with one of my artwork. You can visit my website maybe or other rooms in your house. http://goo.gl/cu3iNi
  • PRO
    Artzila
    9 years ago
    I don't think its necessary, but if you wanted to try some art consider three light colored frames.
  • David Adler
    9 years ago
    Forget about art above the headboard; get a pair of framed 5x7 vertical abstracts (red color based) and tuck them under the lampshade, and above the night table, on either side of the bed
  • curacaoblue
    9 years ago
    You have enough going on. Nice room btw!
  • Lauren Topolinsky
    9 years ago
    I like the drapes you added, if you wanted something different though or a change you could put a long painting horizontal rather than a square or vertical artwork. It would look better if it was a couple inches above the bed frame and horizontal :)
  • amdepew
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I decided to go w/ a 20 x 48 photo canvas I made from a fav beach vacation pic. Thx for all the suggestions, everyone!
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    What a lovely bedroom you have created. It reminds me of one of my bedroom projects where I hung a mirror above the headboard. Maybe this will appeal to you as well. I wouldn't go with artwork - your bedroom is so serene and monochromatic. I would however add a teal throw (hotel style) to the end of the bed to pull in the table lamps. Good luck from Montreal!
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago
    lovely room. I also don't think you need anything above the headboard. I would suggest on the drapery to cut each panel in half and have half each side of each window. You could trim each panel (now 4 pcs) with brown or taupe ribbon/fabric to give it a custom look.
  • elfin2265
    9 years ago
    When it is ready and picture is hung please post so we can see the after look.
  • PRO
    The 8th House
    9 years ago
    Is the top of the photo the edge of the ceiling or is there more that we're not seeing. If you are going for art, I do have a portfolio for your needs. Round Pocket does custom sizing to your liking. http://julianscorpio.houzz.com
  • Wild Infusion
    9 years ago
    No Artwork is my answer because the bead head is the focal part of the room and putting a picture up there will just confuse it. It also looks great on its own. The other thing is....are you superstitious like I am...apparently it is bad luck to have anything above your bed...so they say... less is more....Robyn
  • halfpint2
    9 years ago
    I love the headboard, what a beautiful room. No art!
  • chace_1999
    9 years ago
    Why are people still posting suggestions? She said that she already decided to go with art work.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Add a narrow piece with color. It's lacking in this room.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    I agree that windows need something. Try a roman shade, with a modern design with all your colors in it. Incl the turquoise.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Don't know hey this was posted after so much time??
  • PRO
    Robin Reiners
    9 years ago
    A single series of works by Cynthia Fusillo - an artist that I represent would look nice. See the example of this series that is above an upholstered bed. They are really textural and earthy and would look nice with your overall style. Contact me if you'd like a quote or a simple mock up. Each small piece, 5 x 7 in runs about $500 - 700, but a series can be adjusted.
  • PRO
    Mirens Inc
    9 years ago
    Love it! It's such a sophisticated and artful room already. It does not need another artwork. The abstractness and blending of lines and colors in an artwork might actually mess up the clean purposeful divisions of colors in your current design.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I know you've chosen an art piece but I would leave it bare and let the headboard be the star. The eye gets a bit confused and would not be directed on the dramatic headboard.
  • PRO
    Furnished Up Fine Furniture and Home Decor
    9 years ago
    Quite an awkward space you've got there. I think mirrors would be nice or small framed series of artworks.
  • PRO
    Fresh Paint Art Advisors
    9 years ago
    I suggest no art. I have gone back and forth with my clients on this and what we usually do is add art to a side wall instead of trying to fit something above a bed. I like that you have a unique headboard which is seen as art itself.
  • PRO
    Nesco Upholstery
    9 years ago
    Window treatments could go a long way and create a warmer feel for the room. As for above the headboard, it looks just fine with no art. Some pieces may even crowd the space.
  • beckylamoreaux
    9 years ago
    I really love the bed. Where did it come from? Is it custom?