Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
connierose

Should I replace original windows from 1910 cottage with vinyl?

Connie Rose
10 years ago
We love our cottage. All original windows still in working order, but the kitchen windows are north facing and are sooo drafty. We invested in cellular shades, which helps so much...but still the coldest room in the house, with the smallest windows. Pricing them out.....the wood windows are approx $1000 each for 26x36 windows!? Vinyl are half the cost. As with any older home...we have a lot of additional places to invest in here. I want warmth and convenience, but am afraid of losing the charm of the old windows...wood, grids, hardware. Please help!!!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Vinyl windows would be fine as long as there are plans to replace all the windows in the house.
  • Connie Rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for imput...we have 30 windows...most larger.. Your comment helps me a lot.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    I believe you can buy vinyl windows with a wood covering... Not sure in n America but worth googling. That is a lot of windows
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    I wouldn't change them; have them insulated, add storms. Don't give up the character if the windows are operable.
  • Connie Rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you...everyone...for your advise. It is actually supporting what I feel instinctively. We bought the house for the charm. These windows do have storms...that are not effective. I am wondering if I should be looking for a place that would supply new storms....or even putting up a curtain to pull over the cell shades on those freezing days....
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    The shades won't work because they only cover the sashes. Cold air is coming in from the sides. Silicone around the frames of the storm windows to block the air. You can also insulate the walls and behind the window trim. Weather stripping and insulated drapes or quilts covering the whole window and frame will help. You can also rearrange furniture placed along the windows to a warmer spot during winter months.
  • laurakdesigns
    10 years ago
    Wood definitely. Bite the bulletin it's worth it.
  • PRO
    The Maine Building Company
    10 years ago
    Not sure where you are located, but I was in the window business for a long time, and your price for wood windows seems exceptionally high. Even for a custom wood window. Take another look at the manufacturer, as well as the installation process. High quality window manufacturers like Pella and Marvin make a good quality wood replacement window, in addition to there new construction products.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    You said the windows were drafty. By moving a candle around the entire window and its perimeter you can locate where the draft is coming in (wait for a windy day)

The 3 most common areas for leakage in my experience is ;
    1) The top sash when pushed up just not seals correctly.
    2) The second one is the cross member where window lock is located
    3) The third one is where the bottom sash meets the sill (felt stapled or tacked to underside
    of bottom sash solves that leak
  • PRO
    The Maine Building Company
    10 years ago
    Curt made some good points. Additionally, older window installations were generally not insulated properly in the small crack between the window and the rough opening framing. You may consider removing a piece of trim to see what is in there. You can than you LOW espansion foam to fill the gap, and eliminate any infiltration around your window unit. Please be sure to use only LOW expansion foam, or the foam will expand too much and compress the frame of the window causing significant problems.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I replaced all my windows with historically appropriate double hung, double pane Marvin wood windows about ten years ago. Then it was just about $1000/window so that price is not out of line. FWIW, it was one of the best things I ever did.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    You though said you have storm windows. In one job, the house settled and the storm window frames went out of square. Thus the storm windows were not square in their frames...big time leaks. I had to take the storm frames takened off, re-applied chaulk, and re-installed squarely
  • Connie Rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I sure do think it might be worthwhile to remove the trim and insulate. We have def decided not to put in the vinyl. Since we have the original storms...wondering about replacing them. And then adding caulking and heavy curtains for winter....I love the quilt suggestion. So grateful for all suggestions. We redid the kitchen and two baths...refinished the hardwoods...redid fireplace and painted throughout. Also added five new circuits......but we are still so happy here. Still going strong, and loving the process.
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    I replaced my storms and I'm pretty happy with them. House is quieter.