Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eotoole

Furniture layout ideas for 34.5' x 17' dining and great room area

Ellie OToole
10 years ago
I need creative furniture layout solutions for my great room that has 3 distinct areas (dictated by a 3-section cove ceiling). The seating area takes up approximately 13.5' of the 34.5' length; the dining area takes up approximately 12' 4" of the length of the room--that leaves a 9' open area that needs furniture of some sort. The open area is directly in front of a 10 ft window which includes a sliding glass door. The room/middle section is not large or long enough to support a back-to-back sofa. What are other options?

Comments (17)

• karemore55
    10 years ago
    Hi there! It looks like that centre area is intended to just be an entryway, so I would just dress it up with an attractive (and large) indoor/outdoor rug, as well as side panels on the patio doors. This way, it's purpose is more obvious. If there is an overhead light in this space, maybe a good-sized semi-flush mount fixture would further delineate this as an area with its own identity.

If you do put panels on the patio doors, I would use the same panels on all windows throughout this space, so that even though you have three distinct areas, they all have something in common.
    Ellie OToole thanked karemore55
  • Ellie OToole
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Karemore and abbyjean...thank you for the comments. Minimally, I would add a console table with a lamp behind the sofa to fill the space and provide extra lighting. I was hoping to add some additional seating to this area if possible since we live in a retirement community and parties of 25+ are the rule rather than the exception. I considered a game table and chairs but I think it would overwhelm the space. Would two chairs with a small table in between work?

Your suggestions to bring some continuity to the window treatments was along the same lines that I had already been considering--removing the cornice boards and adding ceiling height drapery panels to all of the windows.
  • Ellie OToole
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    In reference to the suggestion to simply add an area rug to the central area....would 3 rugs look OK? I had planned on adding an oriental under the dining table, a solid with bands of coordinating colors in the sofa seating area, and leave the tile exposed in the center area.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Good morning, Eleanor! I am thinking that three rugs in the area might be overkill. I would say either the D.r area, or the middle area, but not both.

You could squeeze in seating for two more by putting a round table behind the sofa, and having two chairs flanking it, as you suggested. I wouldn't do this with a console table. A round table will break up all the rectangular lines in the space, and will have a smaller diameter that will accommodate the chairs better.

Consider getting a glass top table as well. It will be visually light, and will be a nice contrast to your heavier, Tuscan-style furniture. The one below is the Willow bedside table from Pottery Barn. It's a perfect size at 36" diameter, and is 28" high, which is a nice height for a conversation table.

Alternatively, you could do an upholstered bench with arms. You could still fit two, and this would take up less space than the table and chairs.

Wow, 25 people is a lot to accommodate! It's good to hear that you are enjoying your retirement with an active social life! My turn is coming up, but not just yet.......
  • shelleyuk
    10 years ago
    The upholstered bench is a good idea. It would look right behind the sofa and is also very portable for when you have extra company. Could you fit a chair in next to your sofas or would that block the walkway through to the arch?
    Ellie OToole thanked shelleyuk
  • Ellie OToole
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like the bench idea...the only downside is that it would be awkward for guests to hold drinks without a table. As to adding an chair in front of the entertainment center (close to the arch)...there is ample room and I was planning to add a chair.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Eleanor, You could keep a small drum stool or martini table next to the bench. Or, do you have a spot where you could keep a pair of nesting tables (third pic)? This way, you can move tables around to where they are needed.
  • shelleyuk
    10 years ago
    Or you could have a console with a bench underneath which could be pulled out if you have a need for extra seating.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Good thinking, shelleyUK! The console could double as the drinks table. Not to mention more room for appies and dips, etc.
  • Ellie OToole
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    All awesome suggestions. Can't wait to shop for furniture!
  • PRO
    Swang Design
    10 years ago
    In looking at the photos, it feels like this space could also use some large plants (whether real or artificial) to help define areas along with bringing color and life into the room. What city/state is the house at? Will it be occupied full time? Is there children? What kind of feeling do you want to convey?
    Ellie OToole thanked Swang Design
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Good for you to enjoy life to the fullest this way! That is a houseful, but you must enjoy it. Nice of you to design the whole space to entertain in .
    Ellie OToole thanked abbyjean
  • Marianne Scoggin
    10 years ago
    I, too, am retired and frequently have gatherings of 20-30 friends. Is there space to move the couch with its back to the dining room across from the other couch when you have guests? That would allow chairs to be placed where the couch is now. If the couches are to be left as pictured, I like the bench seating and the nested tables. Another option is to put a table against the back of the couch that has a drop leaf. I have such an antique table - top swivels halfway around and then half of the top can be dropped. Open, it is the size of a card or game table. Finally, I'd like to see color in the room beyond brown and beige and some tall plants or lamps.
    Ellie OToole thanked Marianne Scoggin
  • shelleyuk
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If I lived in that space I'd also want a chair looking out of the large windows/doors for everyday sitting and daydreaming purposes. You have lots of space in that entrance way. I'd have a chair and a small ottoman placed at an angle with its back to the dining table. Then I'd have a snuggly throw to hand and a permanent book on the ottoman! Again its something you can move around if you have lots of people to visit and its in the way.
  • Ellie OToole
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    To the darlingsbecca: I did play around with the sofas placed parallel to one another and two chairs facing the entertainment unit but it really closed in the room and made it appear much smaller. Selleyuk, I can appreciate your suggestion of having a chair and ottoman to snuggle into while taking advantage of the views. What the photos do not show is gorgeous mountain views. Those patio doors are open much of the year and our entertaining space is as much outdoor as indoor. Step outside and we have a additional couches and seating on the patio along with a fireplace. Life is good!
  • The big house
    9 years ago
    Hi Eleanor,
    That space behind the sofa really needs a server or some sort of long storage with shelves, drawers and doors to help transition to the outside. That piece will be your place to store entertaining stuff for the patio. Use it as a staging area for buffet suppers, a bar or whatever. Put an upholstered parsons chair on either side for pull up seating. It should probably be a painted distressed piece or maybe even bleached oak or pine to get contrast in the room.
    Use a gate leg table as an end table next to the sofa. It'll work fine as an extra dining table when needed.
    And do throw a pretty afghan over the back of the sofa for chilly nights or mornings.
    Enjoy your retirement.