Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisai75

Dining room would like Houzz's help!!

Lisa M.
9 years ago
Hi! I am in the process of completing my dining room. I have a traditional home and have a modern classic style. I would like my dining room to be on the "dressy" side. I would appreciate your ideas on what I should do to complete this room. Looking for help on what to put above the buffet table, wall art, window treatments (paper blinds need to go!) and table centerpiece ideas. I would mind getting your ideas on additional furniture pieces, I may need for the room. I am planning on getting some really cool host chairs for the table as well. Thanks in advance for your help:)))))

Comments (17)

• Lisa M.
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    More pics of rug and ceiling color
  • Lisa M.
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thx! I don't remember off hand.... It's a Benjamin Moore color. I will look into it and let you know.
  • PRO
    Hibou Design & Co.
    9 years ago
    Adding curtains will probably give you the biggest results. Go with a small puddle, maybe 4" for a more dramatic effect.

Check out this blog post for tips on puddles: http://triandoscreations.com/blog/13905487

I also think that if your buffet accessories were a little less symmetrical, it would make for a more interesting look. I would hang an art piece above it, maybe something that could bring in all of the colours in your room. I'd then add a tall vase on one side and maybe some shorter accessories on the other side.

It looks like you have greenish walls, a blue ceiling and purple chairs. It may be all in the undertones that is throwing the room off. Repeating some of the colours in the space would tie it all together.

My suggestion would be muted purple curtains in a raw silk to repeat the colour of the chairs and maybe bring in some blue in the artwork.

Love the wainscoting! You're on the right track. Good luck :)
  • Lisa M.
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thx triandos!! The walls are actually a taupe/grey color. The chair are taupe and the walls are blue with a greenish tint. It's amazing how color comes across on a computer screen!
  • PRO
    Hibou Design & Co.
    9 years ago
    Wow. Huge difference from what I'm seeing.
  • PRO
    Angela Scollar Designs - Decorating Den Interiors
    9 years ago
    Your pieces are lovely. Adding an exciting wallpaper on the buffet wall would be a great focal point. Check out York Wallpaper. Also some buffet lamps would brighten the space. And definitely window treatments. It's always easier to make suggestions when you're in the space. Decorating Den is a national company so there's a decorator near you and we offer free initial consultations. Happy decorating.
  • PRO
    Design Mode
    9 years ago
    Make the art above the buffet an amazing focal point with something you love.
    Take measurements in the area over the buffet table. I would visit the MOMA, and discover the pieces and artists that appeal to you. You could get a reproduction from the museum gift shop. You could also visit private galleries in your area, to think about getting an original.
    Your curtains and accessories can follow.
  • PRO
    Gwen Klein Interior Design
    9 years ago
    You're off to a great start with your main pieces. How about trying contemporary abstract paintings about the buffet? One or two depending on size. As for the draperies, I'd use something very simple, like solid color silk panels. Let the inside edges just barely cover the window trim so you get as much natural light in as possible. Have them made with small tucks, tacked together only at the top, sewn onto rings that will be just large enough to slide over the curtain rod. Use curtain rods that are only about 3/4" diam., maybe in a dark silvery color. Use something large but low on the dining table, and some tall skinny buffet lamps on the buffet for some lovely lamp light at night. Love the mirror in your entry by the way!
  • PRO
    Gwen Klein Interior Design
    9 years ago
    Oh, and have your draperies just skim the floor- no puddles.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    I agree with the comments on puddled curtains, preferably in a satin sheen silk in taupe. Your room oozes elegance and luxury - go with it. I also feel that you need a rather long large piece of art above your dresser to almost balance the dining room table. Particularly as this room is seen from other rooms.MOMA is quite an interesting contrast or an Audobon print would also be of interest
  • PRO
    Mr Cabinet Care
    9 years ago
    Love the chandelier! Have you considered painting one wall just as an accent color to open up the room even more? Here's a quick guide to finding the perfect paint color for your room: http://www.mrcabinetcare.com/5-tips-pick-perfect-paint-color.html
  • Lisa M.
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thx! I think painting the one wall another color would be too much.
  • PRO
    Hibou Design & Co.
    9 years ago
    I agree. it would be too much next to the wainscoting. You don't want to take away from that beautiful detail.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    put the mirror in the hall over the buffet. it will reflect the light fixture and shape. the candle sticks arent large or fat enough buffet lamps would be nice.
  • Stewart Stephenson
    9 years ago
    Beautiful chandelier! Please visit our online portfolio for a huge selection of artwork by Stewart Stephenson with large variety of colour, styles, and sizes: http://www.stewartstephenson.com/online_gallery
  • PRO
    Lumar Interiors
    9 years ago
    Hi, you have a lovely room. I think window treatments would give you the most wow factor. Perhaps a soft roman sheer under some silk panels on a rod. Then over the sideboard I would add a beautiful piece of art - large but not too colourful. It could even be a sepia or black and white photography of a cityscape. I did a black and white large photograph of a scene from Venice for a client's dining room. It was beautiful. But any place that would mean something to you would be nice. Could even be a large architectural drawing or interior. This will give you a classic look with a contemporary edge. Then I would put larger accessories on the sideboard. Perhaps 2 candlestick lamps or two ginger jars on either end. Either side of the painting/sideboard will require some nicely scaled wall sconces. They could be candle holders like this