Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
portfolla

Need help for Countertop, should I choose Granite or Quartz?

portfolla
9 years ago
I badly need your help, I have been searching for the right countertop for my new kitchen. I just bought the house where it has melamine brown countertop as shown in the photo. I really don't like it now. So i was thinking to make this kitchen look nicer and thought that this list will do the work:
- Change countertop.
- Add tiles for the backsplash
- Change sink/ faucet.
- Change top front cabinet doors into white if needed.

The kitchen as you can see is a bit dark, I chose long subway tiles for the backsplash, but still not sure what to choose for countertops. I have been looking around in Montreal but still not sure what fits better, quartz or granite. I like the granite durability and the fact that it is a natural stone. But i don't know how will Granite look with white subway tiles and if it will help lighten up the kitchen a bit.

Please help me find the perfect countertop for my new kitchen. Also if you can recommend any store in Montreal that has what I am looking for would be appreciated.

Thank you for the help.

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Honestly? It's beautiful just the way it is, but if it feels too dark, start with white or taupe granite counters and a light back splash. After those have been replaced, it may lighten it up quite a bit and you won't need to change the cabinets. In fact, I would recommend leaving the cabinets as they are.

Here's some photo ideas for granite counter tops.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    Back splash concept photos below:

I think a white stone back splash would be very complimentary with the brick in the dining room.

portfolla thanked Thos. Baker
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    Love it just the way it is.
    portfolla thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • ej610
    9 years ago
    I would use the same material on the backsplash that you use for your countertops. I would use a quartz.
    portfolla thanked ej610
  • Lisa M.
    9 years ago
    I am all for changing things, but I have to agree, I love it the way it is. Your house how a very cool vibe, and the brick plays off nicely either the countertop, helping giving the solace warmth. I luv luv your space!! Add come white ceramic decor pieces on the counter. That will look great! Good luck!!
  • Lisa M.
    9 years ago
    * plays off nicely with countertop *the space warmth. I hate auto correct
    portfolla thanked Lisa M.
  • beachlily
    9 years ago
    Your space is beautiful! Keep as is !

And Christi from Thomas Baker...you are one of the best designers on houzz...love your ideas!
  • portfolla
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks all for the help, although I really really don't like the countertop that I have in the kitchen, I feel that the melamine is not practical and not a clean or hygenic material to use in the kitchen, I had it in my old kitchen and It had black spots on the joints from the long use.
    Having the brick wall in the living room is giving a warm feeling to the place. It makes me question my glossy subway choice for the tiles and a white Quartz counter top. Would it look odd?

Christie, thanks for the photos, I really think now of switching to white stone for the back splash. But what do you think of white Quartz or Granite to go with it?

Here is another photo for the countertop...
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    I think quartz would be nice. Explore all the colors though. Possibly white but maybe someting similar to your current color but in quartz? Bring a lot of samples home.
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    9 years ago
    Change to counter out with a lighter granite. Leave cabinets. No subway riles
  • User
    9 years ago
    I think the space is great. I would chose a quartz, Caesar stone, or silestone countertop in a light colour. Marbling in granite will create another consideration when choosing finishings. Although I love the turquoise tile I would not suggest installing it in your space. If you want to add colour do it with accessories. Pick a tile and countertop that work well with the fixed finishing in your home. Consider the rest of your home when making these choices. If your home is small you don't want to feel your walking into a different home when you change rooms. I feel a different stone as a backsplash may compete with the brick rather than compliment it. The close, but not close enough effect. Choose a 3x3 or 4x4 tile stacked that works with the countertop, light and neutral.
    Love the space, the light, table, chairs, wood, cabinetry
    Fabulous
    Fabulous
  • PRO
    W Interiors, LLC
    9 years ago
    Hi,

First of all, congrats. You have a stunning place.

My opinion... Based on your overall space, use quartz like Technistone. Some options, with glass subway tiles backsplash combination. And change for an undermount double stainless steel sink and single hole modern faucet.

Enjoy your fabulous space!
  • PRO
    W Interiors, LLC
    9 years ago
    Another one... If you see, the three combinations are neutral and simple. This is what need to complete your space. For a pop color, use accessories.

Enjoy!
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    beachlily... thank you so much! That's quite a compliment, as there are many outstanding designers here on Houzz. Thank you again...that really made my day! :)

• PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    portfolla -- given your personal experience with melamine and your concerns about the hygenic properties in a counter top, I agree with cherepak1968's suggestion to go with a Silestone quartz because of it's bacteriastatic technolgoy.

Your other concern is the issue of "lightening" up the kitchen because it feels too dark to you, so I think white quartz would give you the contrast you feel is lacking. The space is beautiful as it is, but after studying your photos, I can see why you feel this way. There's a bit of a monochromatic look to it.

The other reason I'm going to put a vote in for white quartz is that it will provide a clean, crisp, minimalist finish, which is very much in keeping with overall look and style of the space and why it's so attractive.

For the white stone back splash: If you choose white quartz and white stone, that will definitely lighten up your kitchen! I think this combination is going to come down to whether or not you love it. It could feel too stark or it could feel stunning. Personally, I think it's stunning, but I'm not the one who will be living with it.

Here's some additional photos with white on white concepts to help you visualize if that's the direction you want to go.

• PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    If, on the other hand, you feel that you'd like a little bit of color, you can still go with stone that offers light neutral shades. Whatever your overall plan for change, don't change the cabinets and as W Interiors recommended, if you want pops of color, it would be best to achieve that with accents.

• portfolla
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Woow, this was very helpful. After few weeks of searching and touring the tiles and countertops showrooms with my little baby who never seemed to enjoy it, I think I will go with Quartz.

Quartz seems to be the winner and everybody is just recommending it.
    I always liked the white quartz but the granite's always attracted me with its natural irregularity and ability to take heat without being affected.

I was scared that I will be adding a different feeling to the room with the white quartz but now that you think it will work well with the room I am definitely going with it.

As for the tiles, I agree with cherepak and Christi, If there will be a color added it should be done with the accessories. i will try to look in the neutral colors. I want something that can be cleaned easily since this area will be exposed to a lot of cooking splash.

I will keep you posted with what I find and your help will always be appreciated.

Here are some interesting inspiring photos that I found.

Thanx a lot for your precious help:)
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    portfolla...good photo choices, I especially like the bottom one. You're on a good track with white quartz. Granite is beautiful and the natural veining would easily compliment your cabinets, but overall, white quartz is a great choice in terms of what you're looking for on various levels.

As far as cooking splashes, hmmmm...might need to rethink the stone! It's not the easiest of materials to keep clean because of its porous, textured surface that captures and holds grease and stains. If you're a passionate cook and you already know your back splash is going to be subjected to some heavy duty cooking, you'll need to steer away from natural stone, stacked tile or any tile with rough surfaces.

You should probably look into ceramic, porcelain or glass tiles. They're the "spaghetti sauce splash" group -- stain resistant and easy to clean. Will post some photos for you....

• beachlily
    9 years ago
    Christi from Thomas baker...I hate to co-opt this thread but I truly need your advice on similar topic and I like your choices here. Are you able to see my " kitchen conundrum " post about using quartz marble look countertops with mocha cabinets? If not I can re post. Thanks so much!

Portfolio. Your kitchen looks beautiful!
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    Hi beachlily -- will search for your thread!

• Kivi
    9 years ago
    I love the idea of the white quartz for your kitchen....and I really like that small white tile in the third picture from Christi
  • portfolla
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Amazing, then I will be looking in the Ceramic or porcelain tiles. I will keep you posted.

Thanks all for the help. Christi, your help is really appreciated.
  • wlkgbrz
    9 years ago
    I vote for white(-ish) quartz, would look great with the tiles you chose.
  • yonube
    9 years ago
    I vote for quartz. I have both and I cannot wait to change the granite to quartz. Granite with movement gets old fast. Simple granite variations are boring. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    Thank you portfolla -- glad to be of help! Yes, please keep us posted. Would love to see the finished look!

• cocoanlace
    9 years ago

You know what makes your kitchen seem so dark? That huge adjacent wall that seems to be painted black. I'd change that to mushroom or taupe and leave the countertops alone.

• PRO
    Astonia Stone Artisans
    8 years ago

I would do a Calacatta Marble- it would look STUNNING!