Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizlangfordestes

knocking down a wall in the kitchen?

lizlangfordestes
9 years ago
Hi, my husband and I keep going back and forth on whether we should knock the wall down between our kitchen and breakfast nook. Our home was built in 1930 and we like the character of the arched doorway but we are thinking about knocking it down and opening up the space between the two rooms. We would put a bar in place of the wall with the built in and either way we are going to do a banquette in the breakfast nook. Any opinions? (the last pic is an inspiration pic)
Thanks!!
Liz

Comments (22)

• hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    In deciding whether to do that or not, you need to find out if that's a load bearing wall. If it is, you'll need to hire a structural engineer, get permits to do it and have the city inspect the work. You'll have to put a load bearing beam up to support the weight of the roof.

A couple of other issues to consider is what are you going to do about the flooring where the wall was? Are you replacing your floor, or can you have it redone so the fooring will match with whatever you put down there?

If the wall isn't taken down correctly, the paint on your ceiling will probably peel, and you'll have a mess on your hands trying to get it resolved. We had that happen when we took down a wall to talk old flooring up that was under there. The sheetrock tape wasn't neatly cut, and the paint peeled. The problem was, it didn't just peel in one small area. It spread like wildfire across the ceiling two rooms, and took several weeks just to get it all peeled as it took on a life of it's own. I posted something about that on here when it happened, and one of the pros said that new paints and the older stuff from 20 years ago don't bond well which is what happened as it had been recently painted. The paint peeled down to the original paint from 45 years ago.
  • lizlangfordestes
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks! Yes, we have had a contractor and structural engineer come out already and it is a load bearing wall. If we knock down the wall there will be a support beam.
    The bar will actually be where the wall is so we should only have one or two places to touch up the floor.
  • unwantedadvice
    9 years ago
    Hi. I love the arched doorway to the nook. It gives so much character to what is most likely a charming home. Are you sure it is not a load bearing wall? And if you are putting in banquette seating, why do you need a bar? I love the idea of banquette seating in there, it will look lovely. Can you provide a pic of the area where that seating would be? Sounds like the seating could be on three walls, thus eliminating the need for a bar.
  • PRO
    Doiron Professional Remodeling
    9 years ago
    From a design standpoint, I say open it up. I can see that the other door across the room is squared off already. The rounded door, although unique, does not add anything to the style and it really looks smaller than normal fromthe picture. It looks like a charming house and I think, if you open it up and create your own space, you will have many years of enjoying the enlarged room.
  • PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    9 years ago
    I think your inspiration room is beautiful and looks like it fits the style of your house. I would take the wall out.
  • lizlangfordestes
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone!! Here is a pic of the breakfast room, and another pic of the galley kitchen. I really don't like that the oven does not have a counter top on the other side and the cupboards on that side don't go all the way up to the ceiling. We would also be redoing the counter tops with either carrara marble or a similar quartz and a farmhouse sink.
  • lizlangfordestes
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    whoops wrong pic of the breakfast nook!
  • kathleen MK
    9 years ago
    It looks like you would be loosing storage if you take out the wall. Will a banquette with drawers makeup for all of that??
    Is there another door way next to the stove? If not you might could add a slice of counter top on the side of the stove and turn the pantry door into the kitchen.
    You also could leave the arch but cut pass through windows on either side. They could have tiny cabinets or shelves above them for more storage and decoration.
    Just turning the table to snug up to the window will open up your traffic flow.
  • bprince300
    9 years ago
    1930's homes have loads of doors and separated spaces. The open plan was a later imagining for todays lifestyles. If you love the charm of the old style think hard (and ck with an engineer if needed) before opening it all up. It will definitely lose some of it, but if your family needs two eating areas, go for it ! You can maintain lots of character by studying its current look and other good examples. Perhaps you could sacrifice the narrow wall cabinet facing the stove for an added cabinet/countertop ?
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    You'll lose a china cabinet. I love your arch. I wish I had one.
  • Elaine C
    9 years ago
    Hi Liz - we own a 1930's home as well and we had the same issue. We decided to take out the breakfast nook and then we opened the wall to the dining room too. Our kitchen contractor was a real issue - his designs didn't work we had to take over. I am thrilled with the new space. I would change the contractor if I was doing it over and I would make the island a tad bit smaller. We had to keep some of the wall between the kitchen and breakfast nook because of the plumbing stacks to the bathroom above. We found a leak above - so we ended up doing a bathroom remodel and a kitchen remodel at the same time. It was six months of mess. I have included some before and after pictures. I hope it helps you. Here are the before pictures. I will load the after pictures next.
  • Elaine C
    9 years ago
    The one picture is still during the construction ...you can seen the patching on the walls around the bay window. The little stub wall is the wall we had to keep with the plumbing stack. You can see the dining room in the top picture, through the arched door way. The feel of the room is totally different. Both of the rooms felt so cramped. The new space is so much better for dinner parties and holiday gatherings. We never used to spend time in our kitchen. Now, we are hardly ever OUT of the kitchen.
  • Elaine C
    9 years ago
    Here are a few more ...so you can see the opening into the dining room and the living room as well.
  • unwantedadvice
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    @econroy, your project turned out amazing! Wow, that did open the space up even more than the OP wants to do. And the colors you chose are fantastic. You are not afraid of color! Any way to see a pic of the backsplash behind the stove? It looks interesting.
  • bluerama
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't! Once gone that character can't be brought back. Opening up the space just makes it like every other house ... Go for a more creative solution that gets you the counter next to the appliance that you need, or other functionality that you seek -- without tearing the rooms limb from limb.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    i would just widen it and keep the arch. you can do a eat at bar still.. im really fond of this look right now, and it maintains character.
  • lizlangfordestes
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hmmm interesting @flairlighting I never thought about widening the arch! That might work well and still keep some of the character! Would you keep the original pantry on the stove side? We were thinking about putting a pantry cabinet there instead if we knocked down the whole wall. I am fine with the original pantry except with it there I can't put any countertops on the other side of the stove...
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    keep the pantry, and the bottom two doors on the dining side of the cubby/cabinet. Maybe put more storage under the new island, since the depth is already there. you could put one access door on the kitchen side.... Also you could put a fold down work space between the pantry and the stove. how wide is the space between the stove and the pantry door? and how wide is the pantry door itself?
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    here are some fold away work spaces.
  • lisianthus
    9 years ago
    The arched doorway is cute but it does seem overly narrow, giving a cramped feel. I would open it up. Widening the opening but keeping an arch would be a nice solution.
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Ya, a semi-arch!