Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

air gap in California?

bluekitobsessed
15 years ago

I remember reading something about air gaps and inspectors here but now I can't find it -- I might be paraphrasing, but you can install an air gap 1st and then after the inspector signs off you can replace with an air switch -- ??? I also remember reading that air gaps are no longer necessary because DWs have improved so much -- ???

Comments (22)

• remodel1958
    15 years ago

blue - Yes in CA we still have to install the air gap for the DW even though it's not needed anymore (gotta love CA building codes.) Since we must make this hole in the granite, we'll take out the air gap after inspection and replace it with a soap dispenser. There's something that has to be done to redirect the DW hose... but I recall it's a simple thing to do ...Anyone have details on this??

As far as the air switch - we bought a double outlet air switch and are hooking it up to both the disposal and the instahot water tank. Most of the time the tank will be heating water, except when we're using the disposal.

HTH

• julie7549
    15 years ago

Our air gap mysteriously disappeared after inspectation and an air switch replaced it. Amazing!!

• shanny75
    15 years ago

Wish I would have thought of this idea.....I think this will be what I do, just to be sure that no water will overflow into my new cabs.

Here is a link that might be useful: combo airgap-soap dispenser

• weissman
    15 years ago

You just need to put a high loop in the DW drain hose to keep it from backing up.

• oofasis
    15 years ago

Weissman, do you have a photo you can post of how the drain hose should be looped? We're due for our inspection in a few weeks and I'm holding on to the soap dispenser until the inspection is complete. Thanks.

• pupwhipped
    15 years ago

This is what my GE dishwasher (why the heck did I buy a GE dishwasher?) manual said: The drain hose going into the disposal has to be at least 18 inches above your floor...and I mean tile/hardwood floor. Not the floor of your cabinet. Then from there the hose has to go up and be suspended from bottom of the underside of your countertop, and this height must be 32 inches above your floor. That's what mine says anyway. Try to find install instructions for your model. HTH

• weissman
    15 years ago

No I don't have a picture but basically it's like pupwhipped said - the hose comes out of the DW, you loop it up above where it will connect into your disposal (or drain pipe) and the you attach it to the disposal/drain. The high loop above the drain connection keeps it from backing up.

• alku05
    15 years ago

When we were planning, we were all set to do an airgap-soap dispenser swap after inspection. However, it turns out that we must live in the only CA town that DOESN'T require an airgap if your DW specs say a high loop is good enough. So no swapping was needed!

• sandsonik
    15 years ago

I don't really understand the whole airgap thing. In New England, I've never seen one in my life - and it's not due to newer dishwashers being better because the ones in the Seventies didn't have them either.

You guys have an actual HOLE in your countertops and it has to do with your dishwashers? How odd! I simply don't understand.

• chefkev
    15 years ago

Before you get one of those "air gap soap dispensers", make sure you're OK with the gurgling noise that the air gap makes. I just removed my air gap after inspection because of the noise.

• remodel1958
    15 years ago

Thanks for the high loop description. Probably a stupid question, but what's the best way to make sure the high loop stays high? Do you secure the hose above the height of the drain with a hook.. Or???
    LOL sandsonik... Do not attempt to understand - remember, we're on the LEFT coast! (and most of us love it, dumb code aside ;-)
    alku05 - Nice to hear that some part of California is being sensible about its code. Hey, maybe there is there hope for us too? Are you in Santa Clara County?

• alku05
    15 years ago

No such luck- I'm in San Luis Obispo County!

Our DWs came with a mounting piece (which is shaped like a wide hook)to secure the high loop. You should secure the hose up as high in the cabinet as possible. Ours is secured just under the countertop. Any way of securing it should be fine as long as there's no risk of the drain tube kinking or falling down. Check your DWs installation directions to see if there's any guidelines in there.

• PRO
    puertasdesign
    15 years ago

You should be able to buy a nylon cable clamp at any hardware store for alot less than 25 cents.

They look like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Nylon Cable Clamp

• pupwhipped
    15 years ago

Ah geeze, mine was just done this morning after I told GC that plumber man had not done it right. I was the one who had to notice that it was done incorrectly. GC got his helper dude, Clyde, to do it. I inquired of Clyde as to what he used to secure the hose as he did it lickity split. No lie, his reply was, "duct tape." Hubby will remedy this. Oh, I hope this will all be over soon.

• remodel1958
    15 years ago

lol pupwhipped... ok, I'm hiding the duct tape. I like that nylon clamp...thanks, rob

• jeff8407
    15 years ago

We had the same problem here in California with drilling a hole in our granite for the air gap even though it wasn't necessary. We came up with the same solution: installing a soap dispenser that matched our faucet and connecting the dishwasher drain to the disposal. Ironically, I do like the soap dispenser and will put one in my next kitchen.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago

I'm in Sunnyvale, Santa Clara County, CA. We were able to get the air gap waived 3 years ago with our Miele dishwasher. We had to have a chat with the building dept. folks explaining why we didn't need one BEFORE the permit was issued in order for it to happen.

-Babka

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago

I just re-read my post and it doesn't make sense. The waiver needs to appear somewhere on the permit when it is approved so that the inspector will be happy when it is his turn to check things off.

• montalvo
    15 years ago

Just to clarify a few things, the regs requiring air gaps vary in CA county-by-county. In Placer County, the inspector didn't require air gaps our three Mieles because the installation instructions said they weren't necessary. But we put an F&P dish drawer in the game room bar and they required one there because the instructions said it was optional. In Placer, if the manufacturer says "optional", the county says "required".

Bob

• bluekitobsessed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't suppose anyone knows Ventura County's position on this?

• tinahollywood
    15 years ago

I'm in CA and I say -- to hell with the air gap. I did the loop and I'll let you know if my kitchen explodes. Meanwhile, I plan to die in this house so the future owners can deal with the inspectors and have the dang thing installed.

T

• vizslalover
    15 years ago

I think the decision is by CITY and not county. Typically building codes are determined on a municipal and not county level. If your permits and inspections are conducted by the county in your area then it will be the county.

I live in San Mateo (city and county) and the air gap WAS required by the city though our dishwasher doesn't require it. We got the soap dispenser/air gap and are happy with it.