Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Apron Sink Retrofit

This sink is coming out. Double bowls are so 1960s and they hate it.

You've got to cut through the reinforcement rod at the front sink rail, grind the rod out, and patch.

I told the homeowners that the apron would lower the doors 3/8", knocking them out of alignment with the adjacent doors. This is as far back as you can get in this kitchen and it's hardly noticeable, so she didn't think it was worth cutting the door tops, re-profiling, and re-painting. I agreed.

I like a small positive reveal and that's what I give my customers without asking their preference. Its creation involves more risk on my part, but I can't stand creating the crud ledge that is a negative reveal.

10 hours, sink and plumbing included. If you can get this done for less than 2K like these folks did, jump on it. And I scratched this thing too, but got it out before they saw it. The Kohler K-3943 comes with a beautiful stainless grate too.

This post is a snippet of a larger more technical version of my March column. My deadline is the 20th. I'll post the full version later.

Comments (21)

• ghostlyvision
    7 years ago

Looks beautiful, Joe!

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked ghostlyvision
  • cat_mom
    7 years ago

That looks terrific!

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked cat_mom
  • PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

Wow!

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked MDLN
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Incredible transformation.

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

" Is it common for folks to be afraid of cutting already-installed granite? Is the fear justified?

Did you remove the slab, cut it, and then reinstall it? Or did you do all of that with the granite sitting on the cabinets?"

There is nothing to be afraid of. The slab was cut on site and with the proper tools makes little dust, unless someone begins cutting before hooking up his vacuum hose:

Profiling and polishing the edge makes more dust than cutting.

The cabinet front has been removed. That's the only way that sink is going in and the reason why the slab doesn't have to move.

That's a two-piece slab with a seam through the sink center. The seam in the front rail remained intact after being sawn out, so I don't want to hear about how weak seams are through sink cut-outs.

• mgmum
    7 years ago

Awesome!

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked mgmum
  • anitamo
    7 years ago

Looks great!

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked anitamo
  • practigal
    7 years ago

Looks great! They are going to love that extra large basin.

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked practigal
  • User
    7 years ago

You have no idea how much I wish you lived in New York. :) I'd pay a King's ransom to get someone I could trust do this for me. I spoke with the granite place that installed my counters about doing something similar and they seem afraid to do it.....

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked User
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

The apron front sink looks so much better! Very nice replacement job--I just hope she doesn't decide that it would be nice to have an integrated cutting board. ;)

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    7 years ago

Nice job Joseph

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked Rachiele Custom Sinks
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

patriceny:

Show them this thread and have them give me a call.

• oldbat2be
    7 years ago

Unbelievable transformation. Nice!!

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked oldbat2be
  • CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
    7 years ago

Anon User, talk to Granite Grannies in Upper Marlboro. I throw them curves and after initial 'we don't do that' they always do. I've helped them expand their horizons...! Plus, they're just great and do beautiful work.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The trick to getting fabricators out of their comfort zone is to assure them they won't lose any money. That's what they're afraid of. I've done this job 5 times, so it's unlikely they'll get it done in 9 hours, 37 minutes. Offer to do the cleanup, hire the plumbing out, and have them bill you within a budget. If you tell them there is solid demand for this profitable sideline, you won't be lying.

• MizLizzie
    7 years ago

What what an improvement. Great work!

Joseph Corlett, LLC thanked MizLizzie
  • Anon Username
    7 years ago

Joseph, I know you are a big proponent of the Hercules universal sink harness. It seems like it would put a lot of pressure on the cabinetry. Have you ever had it destroy a cheap cabinet?

I have Shenandoah cabinets. I don't think they are the cheapest available, but they certainly aren't the most solid, expensive cabinets either. Should I be concerned?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No. I've installed hundreds of HUSHes over 6 years. I'm sure if they overstrained the screws into cabinets, I would have heard about it by now. If you're paranoid, screw and silicone a 3/4" plywood cleat to the cabinet side and screw the HUSH tabs to that.

• mrspete
    7 years ago

You have no idea how much I wish you lived in New York.

Yeah, I'd hire you if you were in the Carolinas. I'm sure you're not the guy who does the work we see posted here under the title, "Is this acceptable?"