Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xxnonamexx

Cover crop to use in lawn?

xxnonamexx
6 years ago

I have just started to use cover crop for my garden based on these forums to improve my soil. I was wondering if I can use cover crop on my tall fescue grass lawn? Benefits?

Comments (20)

• jb989
    6 years ago

Clover?

I'm using microclover with tall fecue and I like it. Clover fixes its own nitrogen but I don't know if that is accessible by the grass or if it 'improves' the soil any way. Maybe some else knows...

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    6 years ago

do you have a photo of your lawn?

• User
    6 years ago

The lawn is the cover crop. Adding more stuff to it will turn it into a pasture.

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I was curious if adding cover crop to my tall fescue seed to my existing lawn it would blend well with the lawn?

• jb989
    6 years ago

Yes, white clover. It fills in the gaps in my fescue and blends well.

I don't know why more people don't use it.

There's tons more online:

http://plantscience.psu.edu/reduce-runoff/questions-about-microclover

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think I will leave the cover for my garden as this will appear as a weed in my lawn. The photo from the posted website makes it look like a weed.

• dchall_san_antonio
    6 years ago

This comes down to a matter of opinion. Most people want to see a monoculture of grass. Anything else looks like weeds. Some turf grasses appear so similarly during portions of the year that they appear to be a monoculture. A mix of fescue and/or Kentucky bluegrass and/or rye will appear as one type until winter comes.

If you have gaps in fescue, that's because you missed the opportunity to overseed in the early fall.

• jb989
    6 years ago

It's not perfect, but I think my fescue clover lawn looks fine. Also a lot less work and money. To each their own.

• mishmosh
    6 years ago

That looks good to be sure, jb, but my guess is you haven't had microclover for very long. all it takes is some disease to hit that affects one or the other and then you have a lawn that is not well blended--my guess is that the clover will dominate. over time, other weeds will infiltrate and once there are too many to spot treat, you are screwed because you can't use broadleaf herbicide en masse.

• jb989
    6 years ago

Check back with me in another year. We'll see who's right. :)

• mishmosh
    6 years ago

That's just my experience with microclover in the 4-5 years since overseeding it in my low maintenance area. I hope your experience will be different.

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That looks great but thats what I am afraid of is the weeds,

• dchall_san_antonio
    6 years ago

jb989, Can you take a picture on a cloudy day? I can't see anything in that picture. Looks mowed - that's all. What does it look like a week after mowing?

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What happens when weeds return in spring killer will kill the cover. That is what I am afraid of before trying it.

• jb989
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Use premergent to control most weeds. Just like you would with kbg or fescue. Cut your grass high. Clover out-competes most weeds. I've been usung clover for over a year and only had to hand pick a few broadleaf weeds.

And if you must, just spot spray weeds. Check my link, not all herbicides are fatal to clover. Ever tried to get rid of it?

http://plantscience.psu.edu/reduce-runoff/questions-about-microclover:

"2,4-D is known to damage white clover leaves, but the amount of white clover actually killed can vary greatly depending on many factors, including application rate. Also, the broadleaf weed herbicide MCPA generally has a minimal long-term impact on white clover."

• mikkibookmite
    3 years ago

I have trouble following your link. It says I need a password.

• dchall_san_antonio
    3 years ago

Mikki, why don't you open a new topic so we can address your situation more specifically? Please note where you live and what kind of grass you have.

• Sunny K
    3 years ago

jb989 - I know this a old thread but I am wondering if you have any updated to share

• ksiemens123
    2 years ago

jb989 I love your lawn ❤️