Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
design155

Curb Appeal Help!

design155
11 years ago
I am thinking about buying this foreclosure on a lake, however, I am not sure what to do to the outside to make it look better.

I am not a big fan of the brick but am not sure what my options are with it. I don't want to spend a huge sum of money.

The trek decking in the back (lakeside) is going to need to be taken out because it is already rotting and sloping.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (33)

• Nancy
    11 years ago
    The driveway is ugly; is it wider than necessary? The brick is ok. The house could look much better with less ugly blacktop and fresh landscaping around the house. Perhaps a tree in the lawn area between the driveway and path? Lots of potential here.
  • design155
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    You have a good point. It is wider than necessary. It is currently concrete and has some major cracks in it. What are your suggestions for this?

What you see on the left is actually the driveway to another house. It is currently somewhat on this property's land, but I'm not sure I would mess around with trying to get them to move it.
  • PRO
    David Olson Architect
    11 years ago
    I'd paint the brick and trim a rich, darker color; add landscaping for relief; reduce the Af of the driveway; and repair the deck. the basic form of the house is good and the waterfront location is very desireable. I've attached an image that addressed similar problems.
  • design155
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Do you have a before picture of the house?

I am worried about painting the brick. No turning back if I do!

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • PRO
    North Design
    11 years ago
    With some siding you can clad the left and right sides keeping the brick as an accent and not the star of the show. Add a great garage door and possibly narrow the driveway with landscaping it tends to dominate the scene.
  • PRO
    David Olson Architect
    11 years ago
    Based on the brick that is on the house, I don't expect you'll want to turn back. Note that the first story of this house was Roman Brick that was painted.

You might also want to add a fence around the entry to create an entry court. Good luck.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    The driveway in front of your garage is way too big. It looks like it was poured in monolithic slabs, which is one reason it is failing. You should consider that you are going to have to put some money in replacing your driveway.

I'd plan a replacement with much less hard surface. Think about using the garage for parking and then how much space you'll really need for guest parking. One option is that occasional guest parking could be on gravel.

Check out the neighbors and see if any has a successful solution and then ask them what they did. This is also a great way to get to know your neighbors and the community.

I would not do anything to the facade, other than nescessary repairs and painting the wood surfaces. I don't think you can pretty up curb appeal of the house until the driveway is addressed.

Good luck!
  • Nancy
    11 years ago
    I would keep the brick and not paint it. Brick is a nice, solid material that requires little or no maintenance. Depending on your budget, I would take out the asphalt driveway, put in something narrower - pavers, stained concrete, or new asphalt, depending on your budget. Good landscaping with better foundation plantings could make a huge difference for this house.
  • Lori Olson
    11 years ago
    Plant a tree in the front yard.
  • Nancy
    11 years ago
    The other thing that would improve this house, but is expensive, would be a new cedar shake roof. When the house needs to be re-shingled, at least consider a different color.
  • nchampagne
    11 years ago
    The brick is nice. I think the driveway and landscaping ishould get a new look.You will regret painting the brick. Once you paint it, it has to be maintained. And it never looks quite right. Brick by its self is low maintenance. Some plants that bring out the beauty of the brick and some sort of complimentary stone for the drive way, and your home will be incredible. It already looks good.
  • design155
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Assuming I keep the brick the way it is, what style of garage door do you recommend?
  • J R
    11 years ago
    You would be wise to consider hiring a landscape designer to soften the look of the brick ...I too agree that the driveway needs to be amended. I would remove some of the driveway (have it saw cut and removed), and in its place put plantings. BTW.. Trex decking doesn't rot...could it be the framing underneath?
  • nchampagne
    11 years ago
    Are the g-doors in good shape? I think painting the siding a softer beige or sand color to blend the whole house together and possibly leave the doors the same, lots of varnish on them. It really is a beatiful place. I'm envious. I think once you do something with the driveway, it will make a huge difference. Then go from there.
  • nchampagne
    11 years ago
    I just noticed the pic I was looking at was a suggestion. Keep all the brick until you change the driveway
  • jkl4437
    11 years ago
    Do the deck first. This is the most costly project and the most immediate return for your money as you can entertain and enjoy the view, etc. Material comes in colors now too. The front of the house you can do gradually, the driveway can be more attractive by making it smaller, no asphalt. A like material for the pathway to the front door. New garage door with windows, Coach lighting on both sides of the garage wall. Painted concrete (color put in cement) or just painting the new driveway with a color that enhances the brick on the house. Landscaping away from the front of the house, a couple of trees not blocking the home's exterior. New front door with glass inserts to allow light in the house and like color of the garage door. Go to a garden center that will tell you what local plants do well in you climate.
  • nchampagne
    11 years ago
    Why would ask the neighbors to move their driveway. Maybe while you getting yous fixed you two can work together to remove theirs
  • jkl4437
    11 years ago
    Didn't know the neighbor's driveway was included in the picture.
  • design155
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Technically, their driveway is on the lot that this house sits on. It actually encroaches quite a bit. With this said, I don't think that I will pursue it.

I had originally thought that the exterior would cost around $50,000 to fix and spruce up. This would include the driveway, garage door, front door, landscaping, and deck. I know there are a lot of cost variables, but does this sound reasonable, or are we talking quite a bit more money?
  • J R
    11 years ago
    Start with a master plan...one that lays out all of your ideas, and then get estimates for what this will cost you. If the cost is prohibitive then is it something you can do in stages, thereby making it easier on your budget??

and ask yourself this...to I plan on staying here for the long haul or do you see yourself moving on in a few years...
  • jkl4437
    11 years ago
    It's your property. If you have to settle the driveway with a lawyer and a plat of your property is being used by a neighbor, then they have to abide by the excavation documents of your property. I would get this settled first as this has to do with your buying the house.
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    If it were my house I would kill all the grass out front and put in native plants. I can't tell if you have enough sun for a prairie or meadow or if you need to incorporate more woody plants. A tall colorful garden would add much to the curb appeal. It needn't be expensive--some Round-Up and seeds is all you need.

Don't paint the brick. Do consider the other suggestions for color, etc.
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    Is the wide driveway needed to accommodate a boat?
  • PRO
    David Olson Architect
    11 years ago
    Regarding the garage door, I'd do a wood or metal panel door that is four panels wide and four panels high. the top four panels could be obscure glass to let some light into the garage. If you don't choose to paint the brick, I'd paint the trim and doors a shade or two darker the color of the darkest brick.....be courageous!
  • PRO
    David Olson Architect
    11 years ago
    Make that 'trim, doors, and windows'.
  • tissa77
    11 years ago
    Definitely! if you buy the house it should be conditional on the neighbors removing their path/walkway..whatever it is...you have lost a large portion of your front yard..right in front of the house?? I am sure that is ONE reason it is in foreclosure
  • design155
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Being a foreclosure, the bank will not do anything to remedy the encroachment issue. The driveway could still be partly in front of the house and be legal... just not the whole driveway.
  • tissa77
    11 years ago
    Don't think I would want to be the owner and trying to sell the next time....causes problems...voice of experience...and in this case an obvious problem...
  • J R
    11 years ago
    If the neighbors driveway is a problem....find another house. The bank who holds the note on this house will probably not allow an interested party to make demands. And do you really want to come into a neighborhood with an adversarial homeowner next door?????
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Man, I would address that neighbor's driveway before buying. I know you don't want to start out on wrong foot and all that, but, they certainly didn't worry about it when they put their drive where it detracts from your potential home's beauty, resale value, etc.

Think that was a really good idea about saying, "hey, we are fixing our driveway and sorry, but we need you to abide by the property lines, let's save costs and work they out now."
  • ikwewe
    11 years ago
    Since you have a lake house now,the wide driveway may be helpful for guest parking. With all the open decking on the back, assuming you replace it, there is clearly a lot of entertainment space, so the guests need to park somewhere. Maybe add some decorative trim to the driveway. Stamped concrete can work wonders. also inset lights look great. Perhaps you could open up a space in the middle of it and plant it with something low and hardy so it could be driven and parked on occasionally, some kind of grass most likely.

I would NOT paint the brick. If you do that you are stuck forever with painting it every so often. Paint the front door in a lovely contrasting color (I favor a cool blue or turquoise with that brick) and the garage door a little darker to blend into the brick better.

As for plantings, are those weird little lollipop trees on the left on your property? They don't seem to add a thing to the design. Some bunches of color would look lovely along the front in high and low groups, high on each side of the door, low under the windows, high on the corners. Red hot poker lilies look fabulous and love sun. Look them up on houzz.
  • fife2
    11 years ago
    Wow - some very interesting comments here. I would first speak with the next door neighbor about that driveway - see if you all can come to a reasonable decision. Looks like you don't have much property to begin with. And one comment was correct - this does have to do with re-sale, privacy, etc.

2nd comment: Please don't paint your brick. It will forever have to be maintained - and actually it looks pretty natural. YES - hire a landscape architect.

One the far left end - I would add functional true shutters - with hardware. this is a lovely LONG window - adds interest to the house.

I would also invest in a LOVELY garage door - something which looks like an old-fashioned carriage door. You could consider putting stained shake shingles on the large garage front and around the corner to the Front door? This will tone down the brick. I would use a deep grey-green to soften the effect of the brick.

Use a deep almost black green on shutters (Charleston Green) to give a serene upscale traditional look. Replace the back sliding doors with sliiding french doors?

When you do the deck - use the type which creates the space for a room underneath the top deck level - you will enjoy this - - you can sit out even it rains.

I am sure the wide driveway was because they had a boat? Guests?

If you go with something like shakes on the front of the garage, and a more traditional look with your colors, french doors (?) - what about making a pea gravel drive? You can keep it in place with brick runners through the gravel and steel edging (This Old House trick), edge the drive in stone - will save you LOTS of money for now - can always change later. Looks really traditional - updated and welcoming. Add uplighting to your front beds? Solar drive-lighting?

And yes - TREX does not rot - something else is wrong with the deck. Use a lovely taupe GREY shade to go with house -

Great purchase - great house - I think you will love it. IT just needs some TLC and updating.

DON'T paint the BRICK.