Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leena877

Glass tile installation - is this good quality?

Aileen
5 years ago

Our spa glass tiles have thicker grout along the mosaic sheets so we end up seeing these 12"x12" grids over what is supposed to be a smooth field of glass tiles. Our contractor claims it is normal to have thicker grout on the edges of glass tile sheets, but I suspect otherwise. Also, our quarter round edges don't line up with the field tiles which bother me a bit too. Does this look like a normal/high quality tile installation job?

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

What you are talking about is not made clear by the picture

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    5 years ago

It's not normal for the edges to have more grout. All the joints should be consistent. Even without expanding the photo I can see the edges of the sheets. And yes, the bullnose edges should line up with the remainder of the tile grout joints in the field.

To do glass tile, one must be patient and carefully lay out the tile prior to setting to ensure all the joints will line up when set. It takes A LOT of time.

Most times the surface has to be "adjusted" with mortars and build up areas to allow for all the joints to line up.

Check this guy's site. Jimmy Reed Rock Solid Tile in CA. He's probably the best in the business. His glass tile work is stunning. http://rocksolidtile.com/

Look at his glass work on pools and spas and you will see the correct job results. He has several videos on You Tube if are interested in his process of setting.

• Aileen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

here's a more close-up photo.

• Aileen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    at this point, what recourse do I have? can I request that they redo? is that even possible given everything is grouted in?
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

Your contractor giving you BS. Sheets should not be visible.

Aileen thanked Yardvaark
  • Aileen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What's the narrowest grout size that can be done? Is it possible that the grout size between mosaics within a sheet is too small such that the grout must be wider between sheets? (heard this from someone; not sure if true or BS).

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

That is BS.

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The grout spacing on the sheets is what should be consistent throughout the rest of the tile.

If it's wider, the result will be what you have now. Yes, BS.

• Sonja Thompson
    5 years ago

I think the grout lines between sheets should be the same as grout lines in between the sheet. I have similar glass tile in my spa and enclosed a photo. I do not see the individual sheets. Perhaps when the water falls over the tile it will look less conspicuous. I would be hesitant to have it redone since it was not done right the first time and a redo will have even more challenges and may not look better but may look worse.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

No tile expert here, but I believe a redo would require demo and destruction of the tile, prep of the surface, purchase new tile and get someone else who is careful to install it.

• Aileen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    thank you Sonja. your spa looks beautiful!
  • JD
    5 years ago

I am sorry this happened to you, Allen, I hope you get it resolved.

Sonja, that's a beautiful spa. Would you mind sharing what material was used on your spa/pool deck? It looks like porcelain tiles.

• Sonja Thompson
    5 years ago

Thank you, so glad you like it. I do not mind sharing. The spa is glass tile; inside the spa is Primera stone, same as inside the pool, the pool coping is Leuders limestone, and the deck is Travertine pavers.

• JD
    5 years ago

Thank you, Sonja :))

• sktn77a
    4 years ago

They could have done a better job, but I think that is within the typical range of installations. I'm very picky but would have a hard time asking them to rip out the tile and do it over - as others have said, it would probably end up looking worse than before.