Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubyclaire1

Help Me Decide - Countertops Modest Remodel

rubyclaire
5 years ago

Note: I also posted this in the Remodeling Forum.

I am torn between two countertop materials in my modest kitchen remodel. I am having cabinets professionally painted, adding hardware and replacing old laminate countertops.

The two countertop materials I am considering are a quartz (Caeserstone Frosty Carrina) and a quartzite (Taj Mahal - Brushed). This in semi open concept - kitchen is open to breakfast nook and mostly open to living/great room. The main living areas and trim are all painted BM Linen White which is a nice creamy white in my space. The rest of the house is a warm mix of whites, creams, browns, seagrass rugs with most of the color coming from oriental rugs, art and pillows.

Why I'm torn:

A. The quartz is very pretty, "cleaner white", lighter overall and will require a different cabinet color - either a white like BM White Dove or something in the taupe/greige family. If I go white, will I make all the other whites in the house look "off". It is a pretty quartz and I'm surprised I'm even considering it since it doesn't feel organic.

B. The Taj Mahal is beautiful and I will be able to do my cabinets in BM Linen White like the rest of the house. It is natural stone and reads beige/green/gray in my space. Feels like a very safe choice. It is about 15% more expensive but that is not a major consideration.

Either will work but I am driving myself (and my DH and DD) slowly nuts. Hoping you all can share your thoughts and help me decide.

Here is a photo of both materials on the flooring next to wall/trim. Appreciate your thoughts!

Comments (27)

• cawaps
    5 years ago

Taj Mahal. "Safe choice" is not a bad thing, especially when balanced against "I'm surprised I'm even considering it since it doesn't feel organic." I'd weigh heavily having cabinets that harmonize with the rest of the house.

I also think the Taj Mahal is much prettier.

rubyclaire thanked cawaps
  • Mrs. Gopher #BringBackSophie
    5 years ago

I will always vote natural stone vs man-made.

rubyclaire thanked Mrs. Gopher #BringBackSophie
  • barncatz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I happen to like different tones of white but it seems like many prefer consistency in their whites. As for your question, you can find a white that won't make your Linen look dingy but, as you are realizing already, you will have to pay attention to that choice process and invest some time.

I wonder if you're a bit bored - that's too strong a word - and feeling like it would be fun to shake things up. It might be! To me, your adjectives suggest a strong preference for the quartz. But it would be cheaper to buy new sofa pillows. It will be possible to lighten up your kitchen from the other rooms but it will need some continuity as you know.

PS As regular GWers know, I wanted marble counters. I used a lovely white granite instead, but I still regret not killing my DH, burying him behind the wood shed, and having the marble.

rubyclaire thanked barncatz
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

Taj is a dream material. Nature's art and super durable- goes with what you have already- a no-brainer if ever there were one. Your house sounds absolutely lovely. The Taj will look amazing in that environment.

rubyclaire thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you - this is very helpful.

cawaps & Rita - I agree the TM is very beautiful!

Sophie - You are probably right that "I know this already".

barcatz - Boredom - maybe :). And LOL. I'm sure you made the right choice. And killing for marble is probably wrong. I think?

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Naw, there are some husbands who could be killed for a candy bar if one is hungry! My first would be in that category.

• annac54
    5 years ago

For me it would be the quartzite hands down. But then I love natural stone, and enjoy looking at the patterns in the counters in my own home. It's a beautiful choice. Maybe you can photo shop it in to help you visualize the end results better.

rubyclaire thanked annac54
  • yeh_yeh
    5 years ago

The TM harmonizes perfectly with your floor and wall color! Another vote for the TM!!!

rubyclaire thanked yeh_yeh
  • cpartist
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

TM no contest. There is a depth to natural stone that is missing in quartz

rubyclaire thanked cpartist
  • chocolatebunny123
    5 years ago

I tend to gravitate toward the consistency in quartz. My family is very busy and I need some calmness, even if it is in my countertops, to counteract that. However that TM is simply gorgeous. That would be my choice.

And FWIW, I was looking at marble-mimicking quartz and I have yet to find one I'm crazy about. I was able to see a full slab of Frosty Carina as one of the granite yards I was at recently had ordered it for a customer. While it had the consistency I preferred, it was just meh.

rubyclaire thanked chocolatebunny123
  • mark_rachel
    5 years ago

Taj Mahal every.single.time! It might be "safe" in your eyes, but it's a show stopper.

rubyclaire thanked mark_rachel
  • Mrs. Gopher #BringBackSophie
    5 years ago

@Chocolate Bunny Check out MSI Calacatta Laza. Currently, its my favorite Marble look-alike

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone - seems there is a lot of love for the Taj Mahal!

• just_janni
    5 years ago

The warmth and authenticity of a real stone, made in the earth, will be a better longer term choice. (It's also MUCH prettier...)

Overall, I am not a fan of materials faking what they are. Quartz is not marble. Solid quartz is a great material to get a consistency in color that you CAN'T get in natural stone. That's the reason to use quartz. Not using it to copy something you can get with a natural stone.

rubyclaire thanked just_janni
  • chispa
    5 years ago

If you go with TM make sure you pick the actual slabs. TM can vary quite a bit between lots. I am using TM for my kitchen counters and those slabs are very different from the TM slabs I used to reface a fireplace in the living room.

rubyclaire thanked chispa
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the tip chispa - btw, have you found a backsplash for your kitchen TM?

• chispa
    5 years ago

ruby, I have 3 mosaics that I liked with my kitchen samples. As soon as the counters are installed I am going to borrow the sample boards to view in the kitchen and make a final decision. I had also requested some Fireclay samples, which just got shipped, but I think they might be a bit "modern" for my kitchen.

rubyclaire thanked chispa
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    5 years ago

chispa - I'll be following your progress. Thanks!

• amykath
    5 years ago

I am in love with the Taj Mahal!

rubyclaire thanked amykath
  • cyc2001
    5 years ago

The TM is gorgeous!

rubyclaire thanked cyc2001
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Update: I chose the Taj Mahal and it has been installed! Now waiting for cabinets to be painted. The Taj reads a little grey/green in my space and I want to bring out the warmer neutral tones in a backsplash. Hardware is aged brass. While it may be a little early to finalize, I am backsplash obsessed right now. Current options are a matte crackle 3x6 subway in a sand color and an ivory gloss in a 4x5 size. Here is a picture of my stone against by trim color (BM Linen White) which will also be cabinet color and the two tile options. What do you think? Other ideas?

• Christine Kaufman
    last year

@rubyclaire Beautiful! What backsplash did you go with? Also, any chance you remember the matte crackle and ivory glass brand you mentioned? TIA : )

rubyclaire thanked Christine Kaufman
  • Kate Doerksen
    4 months ago

Wonder if I can bump this thread... Wondering how the leathered tsj has performed! Just had the owner of a local stone yard here tell me I shouldn't do leathered on backsplash or around cooktop and sink bc it's more porous. I've seen mixed reviews on that. My fabricator didn't agree. So just wondering a real life perspective from a taj lover.

rubyclaire thanked Kate Doerksen
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Kate - while we sold that home a few years ago, I did not experience any issues with the areas around the sink or cooktop. We had a tile backsplash. I do see the new owners every so often and they are very happy with the countertops. I would think sealing it annually would mitigate any potential issues but I am no expert on this. I will say it was just beautiful and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again! Hope that helps -

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@Christine Kaufman - sorry, I didn't see your question! I went with the matte sand colored crackle tile and I cannot remember the name! We sold the house a few years ago.

• Sarah
    4 months ago

Any pics of the finished kitchen for curiosity sake? Your choices appear to have been stunning!