Some early peonies blooms.

Nova

Lan Fu Rong

Wu Jin Yao Hui

Happy Mothers Day! Enjoy!

Comments (139)

• Moxx
    8 years ago

Welcome to the club Thyme2dig. You have some nice landscaping too. If you are following this thread, you can get the peony relative blooming time list I've cited earlier:

http://www.peonies.org/bloom_dates.html

For example, Yellow Crown Itoh Peony (Smirnov 1974) is expected to bloom approximately blooms 1 day after Red Charm. And Coral Charm 5 days after Red Charm etc.

I have 12 Itohs, but only 6 are mature enough to have buds on them. The first one that's ready to bloom is Scrumdidleumptious Itoh peony (Donald Smith 2002). See pic below:

The other peonies are not too far behind:

• joopster
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Red Charm - Just one so far. It been raining a lot here in Chicago. Will take more when the weather gets better.

• joopster
    8 years ago

My Shirley Temple - Not as pink as I thought it would be.

I'm not sure what this pink one is. It came with the house. When we bought the house, this was a huge bush measured 3 feet across but with only 2 or 3 flower. My husband tried to dig it out to replant it somewhere else. We weren't able to dig the whole thing up but did managed to break it in half. So we ended up leaving the other half where it was and the other we moved across the yard. Both of them are doing fantastic this year.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

They look great, Joopster. I particularly like your last one, the pink one that came with the house. I wonder it if it is Pink Derby. How big is the flower? My Shirley Temple is the same as yours, huge white bloom with some red streaks. Although if you catch them at just opening phase, you will see some slight blush coloring on the blooms.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Moxx, I am really looking forward to see your itohs blooms. Have the buds opened yet?

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My peony season is winding down. Some of my late bloomers:

Elsa Sass

Baroness Shroeder

Nick Saylor

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thymetodig, your garden is so peaceful and beautiful! I love the placement of your tree peonies near your deck bed. They look so elegant.

• joopster
    8 years ago

KarenPA_6b, the pink one measured about 5 inches across.

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    8 years ago

Mislabled, but I've finally identified this one as Krinkled White.

• Moxx
    8 years ago

Moxx, I am really looking forward to see your itohs blooms. Have the buds opened yet? <==== Trouble in paradise Karen.

Where do we start today? Below is a picture showing a row of Kirinmaru peonies. Two of them have a bud each. Look closely at the buds. One could be pink, while the other is white. Could it be that both look different, but it will come out the same years down the road? Another puzzle for you!

• Moxx
    8 years ago

The second yellow tree peony blooms today. It looks like its bloom clock is not working. It showed growth earlier this year, then died off, then it has a vigorous growth on one branch. Now, I see many eyes at the bottom. This is an older tree peony whose bud union is not deep enough below ground.

• Moxx
    8 years ago

Scrumdidleumptious Itoh peony (Donald Smith 2002) opened up today.

• Moxx
    8 years ago

Another 2 year old Scrumdidleumptious Itoh peony opening up on the same day, but this one is mislabeled. It should have been Scarlet Heaven. I purchased both plants from Plant World in Toronto. The manager advises me to dig it out and submit this plant within 7 days if I want to get my refund.

I created this area last year to accommodate 6 Itoh peonies. Unfortunately, Scrumdidleumptious takes too much space, so it has to go. The Itoh beside Scrumdidleumptious is Magical Mystery Tour, brought from Spring Garden last year. The balance 4 peonies are from Les Jardins Osiris in Quebec. A 5th Itoh, under the dish, is also from Les Jardins Osiris but it is dying. Contrary to the guarantee discussion with the sales staff, the owner is now advising there is no guarantee of any kind. Buyers beware!

• Moxx
    8 years ago

What a difference a year make! The "Classic" Itohs are now selling in the $30 range in summer clearance, and many newer Itoh varieties are coming down the pipe. Names like Caroline Constabel, Duchesse de Lorraine, Oochigeas, Strawberry Crème Brûlée, Enduring Rainbow, June Moon etc. Of course, the prices of the classic bush peonies would have to come down too.

My third Itoh blooming this year is Candy Cane (Smith, 2004). It has been in the ground for 2 years. Maybe I can produce better pictures tomorrow.

A mass of bush peonies under the dish about to bloom:

Festivus Maximus peony:

Only one Scrumdidleumptious Itoh left. The other was dug out and went back to Plant World last night. A clean take out.

KarenPA_6b thanked Moxx
  • KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Moxx, I really love your Candy Cane Itoh! Can you please post more photos of them when they are opened? What a beautiful color and semidouble cupped form! You guys in Canada are so lucky! So have such a great selection of itohs.

• joopster
    8 years ago

Raspberry Sundae. I consider this one my garden's super star.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    8 years ago

The peonies are actually blooming about a week early up here. Fewer blooms this year than others. I've noticed the same thing with the tree peonies this year as well.

Coral Charm

I have a row of asters behind the peonies in the cottage garden for some interest later in the year.

The itoh is just starting to bloom. First flower ever! Looking forward to the other buds opening.

• Moxx
    8 years ago

I like Raspberry Sundae too. But there are many good bush peonies to choose nowadays.

Thyme2dig has a nice garden too. What are the names of the Itohs?

@Karen: Lucky Canadian? Last I've heard, Canada is the last star on the American flag lol. I've taken extra pictures of Candy Cane on your request. I'll take more pics when the other buds open up.

Here are today's pictures of Candy Cane:

A Santa Fe-Celebrity combination along the west fence. Santa Fe is the shorter one of the two:

Celebrity

Santa Fe about to open:

The "old" peonies along the west fence about to open:

The peony mass under the dish is in bloom:

KarenPA_6b thanked Moxx
  • KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love the deep yellow & gold of Candy Cane. The cupped form is just gorgeous. Thank you, Moxx.

• Moxx
    8 years ago

Today's bloom.

Candy Cane opened up:

And closed up when it started to rain at dusk.

A Santa Fe-Celebrity combination along the west fence.

Celebrity

Santa Fe

The "old" peonies along the west fence open:

The peony mass under the dish is in bloom:

KarenPA_6b thanked Moxx
  • KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The color change on Candy Cane is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

• Moxx
    8 years ago

The color change on Candy Cane is amazing! <=== It started to rain when I took the last Candy Cane picture. Let me have another look tomorrow to double check. Stay tuned.

• fduk_gw UK zone 3 (US zone 8)
    8 years ago

Souvenir de Maxime Cornu / Kinkaku last night. First bloom!

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That is gorgeous! I love this peony flower but I wish it does nod so much. Congrats!

• Moxx
    8 years ago

Here are Candy Cane pictures showing the new color on new buds, and the color on a finished flower. Candy Cane flowers change from orange to medium to light yellow.

Lots of flowers today. The four peonies in the "unknown" area turn out to be ones I have already. Two Bowl of beauty, one Festiva Maxima, and another white no ID peony. The good news is I can take them out in the fall, and use the space for new plants.

Festiva Maxima (white):

Bowl of beauty

OMG! Yet another mislabeled peony. This is supposed to be Sorbet! I got this one from Spring Garden.

Santa Fe & Celebrity in bloom:

Celebrity:

• Moxx
    8 years ago

Santa Fe:

Guess the name of this plant below:

If you guessed Bartzella, that's correct. A lucky guess! What is the name of the Itoh to the right of Bartzella in the picture below?

I'll give you the answer when it blooms lol.

Peonies in bloom, the roses are next to bloom:

• petchie
    8 years ago

We are zone 4 and tend to bloom so much later than y'all. I am just starting to get into finding different peonies, most of mine come from plant swaps so I do not know the names. Today was the first of mine to bloom

• Moxx
    8 years ago

More Candy Cane pics:

Top Brass:

• lizbest1
    8 years ago

Finally getting some blooms!

Blonde Vision. It looks ivory in this picture but it's a pale yellow with peachy pink in the center, smells good, too. NOT frost tolerant at all, the planter beside it is it's early spring frost protection.

Erma. This one is supposed to look like a magnolia bloom when fully open, think I'm seeing it somewhat today. Looked completely normal single ivory white yesterday.

Heidi-this one normally has really upright blooms but the stems were incredibly weather damaged this year.

May Treat, one on either side of the entrance to our driveway. Nice welcome home, except the deer ate all except these 2 buds on this one and the other side looks like it's days away from opening...How does that happen?

• lizbest1
    8 years ago

This one was marked as Lady Alexander Duff but the center is too pink. Another stem damaged beyond redemption, yes, it's laying on the Sweet Woodruff.

Paula Fay

Those little bees seem to love Postillion, several in all of the blooms.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Your Blonde Vision is actually very nice despite the damage! I can see its light yellow tint which makes it very unique and attractive. I wonder if cooler climates bring out more pink in your Lady A. Duff?. It is a very pretty pink though. Can't believe your deers ate peony buds! Boy, you grow peonies in a very challenging area-if not damaged by weather, then damaged by critters. You just can't win.

• lizbest1
    8 years ago

I know, Karen! The deer have never touched the peonies before this year and they've only gotten the buds. At least I ASSUME it's deer, could be my husband getting back at me for not making dinner at all this week....And our crazy weather hasn't stopped yet, still getting tons of rain. At least no hail with this front yet....

The only thing I don't like about Blonde Vision is that the stems are very weak. I think it'll be an amazing plant one day based on the size of the bloom I got on this tiny plant but it'll probably need to be staked. And it'll absolutely have to be protected from frost. Think I'll just leave several big pots out there for that purpose!

I looked at last year's pics and Lady A Duff was about the same color pink last year. Don't know if the variation is because of our soil or weather or if I got a mis-labeled peony from GW! Funny, that's one of the few older ones that I have that managed to stay with the tag, now I'm still not sure it's correct!

• ginamarina
    8 years ago

Oh my, all of your photos are so beautiful! I haven't even logged into GW since things changed with houzz, but found your gorgeous pictures in a search. Our sweet calico kitty passed away last week, and she has been with my husband since her birth - nearly 21 years ago. We went to a flower communion sunday about remembrance - to make the story short, he chose this peony for her. I took one of the last photos and nestled it within the petals for this picture. Now I'd really like to try growing peonies in her honor. This flower smells beautiful, and I can't really find a distinct "center" in it. It has tiny fuchsia spots here and there. Would anyone possibly know what kind it is? So many people brought flowers to share that day that I have no way of finding out who donated it. Thank you. BTW, I seriously think these are prettier than roses!

• lizbest1
    8 years ago

Festival Maxima is a widely available double white with Crimson specks, typically around the center. It smells good too, only negative is the stems are weak so it will probably need to be staked. There are several with more streaks but I think FM is closest to your picture. Anyone out there know of one like this with strong stems?

• Moxx
    8 years ago

Unless there is another request, this will be the last set of Candy Cane pics.

Peonies at the shed area is starting to open up, This is classic Karl Rosenfield:

• Moxx
    8 years ago

In the next picture, Bartzella is on the left, The mystery yellow Itoh plant to the right of Bartzella is... drum roll please....

The fifth Itoh is Yellow Waterlily!! There is only one more Itoh yet to be opened.

More peony pics. Festiva maxima:

A no ID peony, but still looking good, in the front yard:

Another good looking no ID white:

Kirinmaru about to open:

Another Kirinmaru, but pink like Karen's:

KarenPA_6b thanked Moxx
  • Moxx
    8 years ago

Rained out today. There is no red in the white Kirinmaru yet. It's mostly white, with a tinge of yellow inside.

• lizbest1
    8 years ago

Pastelegance is beginning to open! Don't know what to expect from 1st year blooms, we'll see in a couple of days when they're their best. Hail shredded the leaves, glad the buds survived.

And Alice Harding tree peony. Saw this one at the University of Michigan Peony Garden and loved the color and size of blooms on such a tiny tree.

KarenPA_6b thanked lizbest1
  • KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

They are beautiful, Liz! So happy that the buds survived the horrible weather. I can definitely see the unique coloring on Pastelegance. I think it will definitely get better next year. Alice Harding has a such a nice bright deep yellow. I prefer its color over High Noon.

• Moxx
    8 years ago

Kirinmarus open up:

2 Kirinmarus, 2 different colours. What are the combinations?

a) Both are Kirinmaru, and will be the same down the road.

b) Only the white one will materialize.

c) Only the pink one will materialize. Karen has a pink one too!

d) Both won't turn into Kirinmaru.

Interesting! I'll do nothing but let the course play out. Don't forget I have 4 more Kirinmarus! Like I said last year, I am tenacious. See the thread:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2075158/kirinmaru-peony?n=67

Remember this comment I've cited:

"The grower has seen almost all white or almost all red within stock that is true to the photo. But within the stock he had also found the pink, which was rogued out as soon as they saw it."

Yellow Waterlily opens up:

A later stage Top Brass:

Another mass of peony, at the front of the house:

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I sure hope that scenario a, b, c materialize for you. If not, you still have 4 more peonies to hope for. I think that you may have a chance of hitting kirinmaru with the other 4 peonies now that Kathy got a Kirinmaru from an order of Festiva Maxima. THe fact that Kathy got the real Kirinmaru leads me to believe that they must have a real Kirinmaru in the mix. THis makes me hopeful that one of your six will be a Kirinmaru. Whatever happens Moxx, your Itoh Yellow Waterlily and Top Brass are gorgeous! I love those little specks of red in your Yellow Waterlily and the pink puff on your Top Brass.

• Moxx
    8 years ago

Thanks for the words of encouragements/support, Karen. However, We may arrive at the same conclusions, bit from different evaluations. Kirinmaru is a new plant in this part of the world, and it is receiving a lot of interest. I see a lot of nurseries introducing Kirinmaru with the same photos, but with an "out of stock" note. A deeper search indicates this is an old Japanese variety. Refer to:

http://www.peonies.org/cgi-bin/datasheet.cgi

SpringHill must have sold a lot of these, unfortunately, only a few owners have reported the results. I saw only two successful results with pictures. The last one is from kathyr89, from a fluke identifying as Festiva maxima. This is not a deliberate disrespect, but If she can't remember any part of our conversation last year, then I am inclined to assess the ID messed up is not from the seller, but from the owner. In last year's thread, I have already indicated, the pictures showed Kirinmaru changes with time, giving more red each year until the plant matures, very much like Shima-Nishiki. Indeed, this is also showed in kathyr89's two pictures, reinforcing this point.

My pink Kirinmaru looks like the peonies I dug out from the central location last year, but let's not ignore the time of bloom method use to identify peonies. Both Kirinmarus are in the same location, and the same environment and they both bloomed at the same time. If only there is a speck of red in the white Kirinmaru, I would assess this is good enough for a knock-out punch to end the debate whether it is a Kirinmaru.

The "combination" bit, is an amusement more so than anything else. In my mind, the probability of these plants turning into Kirinmaru is very high, but let's see what other viewers say. Maybe another jackie_o would say " I will be totally shocked if you get a red and white striped flower on yours Moxx." This is too easy. Set them up and shoot them down lol.

Today's bloom... A weak Do Tell is about to open up:

The 6th, and last Itoh - Sequested Sunshine, is about to open up:

Off focused:

Now the flower has closed up:

This plant had better days until I did a failed split. The details are provided in:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2081041/itoh-peony-trade?n=14

I've confirmed with Plant World and Spring Garden/Spring Hill that all the Itohs I've brought with them were tissue cultured. The ones from Les Jardins Osiris look like there are tissue cultured too.

Here is the "dying" Itoh I purchased from Les Jardins Osiris. I am doing my best to nurse it back to life. In relocating for a better environment, it was observed that the tubers seem to be growing, but the shoot above is dying:

The new location for the dying Itoh, is where I took out the second Scrumdidleumptious.

Overview:

The new Itoh patch is at the center of the picture where the orange stakes are. Hopefully, I can upload some pictures next year.

The peonies beside the shed are blooming. An eagle eye can spot a dark red Karl Rosenfield opening up.

One more picture showing a mass of Matangi rose (orange-red) in bloom. The intent was to have a mass of early peony (Red Charm, right) to bloom first, then the rose mass providing subsequent blooms, a similiar idea used in the dish area, having the peonies bloom first, then the carpet roses.

• Moxx
    8 years ago

My last set of pics

Bartzella & Yellow Waterlily side by side:

Bartzella:

Bartzella:

Yellow Waterlily:

Do Tell:

Sequested Sunshine:

Sequested Sunshine:

Pink peony @ shed:

Pink & white Kirinmaru

Pink Kirinmaru

• Moxx
    8 years ago

White Kirinmaru:

Deep pink peony @ dish area:

• Nandini Nandini
    8 years ago

My peonies are blooming

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Moxx, the Kirinmarus are lovely even though they are not the right ones. I am sure they make great cut flowers. I grow to like mine alot. THe only downside is it is really FLOPPY. Your Do Tell is gorgeous BTW.

Ruby, That is gorgeous, even upside down. I think it actually looks better upside down as I can see the flowers better. That is so smart of you to think of doing that! Do you know its name?

• Moxx
    8 years ago

Yo Karen of USA/PA: Can you get your peony plants to bloom multiple times per year. This is the second bloom from my Yellow tree peony:

I wouldn't be surprised if there are 3rd or 4th blooms. Eat your heart out lol.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow, that is so awesome, Moxx! Don't see any buds this year on my High Noon tree peony so I don't expect to get a rebloom this year. THough my rebloom occurred much later than yours. The bud didn't open until August of last year.

• Moxx
    8 years ago

Yellow tree peony 3rd bloom, hehe.

Back of flower:

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

kathyr89, if you see this post, can you send me message? I can't send you message since you do not have the message option turned on.